There were over 200,000 car jacking attempts in California alone last year

This stat really surprised me.

Any fellow Neowin readers ever been carjacked or seen one?

I've been to the U.S. a few times in the last 20 years and one thing that stood out to me is whenever we were in a taxi, all the locks engaged the moment we were in and the car started moving. This kind of startled me heh.

On 31/08/2023 at 09:08, Steven P. said:

this is a daily occurrence in san fran these days. Murders, drugs, shootings, looting, homeless, feces on the streets. it's the wild west out there. Companies closing stores. it's a complete cesspool.

• Sad 2

whenever we were in a taxi, all the locks engaged the moment we were in and the car started moving. This kind of startled me heh.

There are many passenger cars that will lock the doors when you put the car in gear.  It's a pretty good safety feature to help prevent carjacking, kids exiting the vehicle, etc.

I had one car that would auto-lock the doors... but you had to manually unlock the doors when you were ready to get out.  Very annoying.

Thankfully my current car locks and unlocks itself.  🔒👍

On 31/08/2023 at 09:24, Jason S. said:

this is a daily occurrence in san fran these days. Murders, drugs, shootings, looting, homeless, feces on the streets. it's the wild west out there. Companies closing stores. it's a complete cesspool.

and who is to blame for this?.... that's right both sides

The Kia Boys became a huge problem originating in Milwaukee.  I try not to step foot in that city anymore due to all the car jackings, road rage, and gun violence.
Anybody that has an older Kia or Hyundai is guaranteed to be carjacked if you leave it for more than 30 seconds.  There used to be high speed police chases every single day, but now it's died down a bit.  They must have stolen and smashed most of them by now.

Similar story for most US major cities these days.  The leadership won't expand the police departments and would actually rather defund them.  All while crime surges and spills into the surrounding areas.

On 31/08/2023 at 09:53, Astra.Xtreme said:

The Kia Boys became a huge problem originating in Milwaukee.  I try not to step foot in that city anymore due to all the car jackings, road rage, and gun violence.
Anybody that has an older Kia or Hyundai is guaranteed to be carjacked if you leave it for more than 30 seconds.  There used to be high speed police chases every single day, but now it's died down a bit.  They must have stolen and smashed most of them by now.

Similar story for most US major cities these days.  The leadership won't expand the police departments and would actually rather defund them.  All while crime surges and spills into the surrounding areas.

my wife and i went to milwaukee last year. while we did not have a problem, there was a man in the hotel lobby who was waiting for the police to show up b/c his car was broken into the night before.

for those foreign travelers - stay away from america's major cities. they are beyond repair.

I've been to the U.S. a few times in the last 20 years and one thing that stood out to me is whenever we were in a taxi, all the locks engaged the moment we were in and the car started moving. This kind of startled me heh.

A lot of the newer cars do this. My Mazda 3 2017 engage all the lock once i start driving.

• Like 2

It has a lot to do with geography. Once a car is stolen, they head to Mexico asap. They are then used for parts or sold outright. Also there are many more upper end cars in California. Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin etc, 

Heck, even my 2008 Ford Edge automatically locks doors once car is above 5mph. Doesn't unlock automatically, but does unlock simply by pulling lever to open door as opposed to what Michael Scrip says above about having to manually unlock door. That would get to be a pain! I do believe I have a setting to automatically unlock door once car is in park, but haven't ever changed it.

As far as the 1 comment above about tourists not going to major cities, I wouldn't even think about that and I live here!!