Suddenly Edge for Business installed; why?

Today I noticed that I got Edge for Business installed on my Windows 11 notebook. For no reason this has changed.

Why's that? I didn't do anything. And I am my own admin.

Is it because I have Office for Business installed? Or are there some other parameters that Microsoft takes into account for this unwanted & unneeded change?

EDIT:

Just checked on my other notebook [with regular Office/Microsoft 365 Family installed] and there's the 'regular' version of Edge.

On 01/09/2023 at 13:36, kiddingguy said:

Today I noticed that I got Edge for Business installed on my Windows 11 notebook. For no reason this has changed.

Why's that? I didn't do anything. And I am my own admin.

Is it because I have Office for Business installed? Or are there some other parameters that Microsoft takes into account for this unwanted & unneeded change?

EDIT:

Just checked on my other notebook [with regular Office/Microsoft 365 Family installed] and there's the 'regular' version of Edge.

Do you log on to that machine with an azure account or a personal account?

The former would be the reason.

And to be honest, it doesn't mean much except that it shows its governed by azure policy, if you have one.

On 02/09/2023 at 04:15, mram said:

Do you log on to that machine with an azure account or a personal account?

The former would be the reason.

And to be honest, it doesn't mean much except that it shows its governed by azure policy, if you have one.

I sign in with a local account.

Like I said, I do have Microsoft 365 Apps for Business installed [Word, Excel, PowerPoint and alike]

In Settings > Accounts > Email & Accounts is under 'Accounts used by other apps' my business email(account) listed.

It just annoys me that Microsoft apparently is making changes to my Windows installation set without giving any notification, or reason, why it does so.
Yes, I know... welcome to this "Microsoft does as it pleases"-world 😒

This is because you use windows. By that factor you do not own your operating system and are at the whims of Microsoft. You could try multiple workarounds to temporarily placate the issue but the only true solution to your conundrum is to install Gentoo.

• Sad 2

On 02/09/2023 at 02:53, kiddingguy said:

Thx.

How does Microsoft determine whether or not to use/implement the business version?

On 02/09/2023 at 01:05, kiddingguy said:

In Settings > Accounts > Email & Accounts is under 'Accounts used by other apps' my business email(account) listed.

• Like 3

On 03/09/2023 at 19:44, GrandMaster said:

This is because you use windows. By that factor you do not own your operating system and are at the whims of Microsoft. You could try multiple workarounds to temporarily placate the issue but the only true solution to your conundrum is to install Gentoo.

Orrr they didn't read the FAQ page, and was unaware of the prerequisites to "qualify" for Edge for Business mode. 

• Like 2

On 01/09/2023 at 23:05, kiddingguy said:

It just annoys me that Microsoft apparently is making changes to my Windows installation set ... <snip>

My point was that Edge is user context aware and is not installing anything new whatsoever as long as you don't count the actual update to the current version.  Account login notwithstanding, which I'm certain it's related to your business installs and login used there, there is absolutely no new binaries installed for Edge.   So this above quote isn't correct.  

Nor is nearly all of the rhetoric on the thread.  It's just about policy enforcement.  We think about "versions" like there are two "products" on your machine, but it's the exact same binary with a name that is different due to the login being used, in order for enterprises to know the enforcement level at-a-glance.  You're still in control, either way, for those naysayers.  

If you don't like the "for business" then just don't use a business account.

On 03/09/2023 at 13:12, MS Bob 11 said:

As soon as the antitrust oversight by US Govt ended over Microsoft, they went back to their old ways

Nope!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago or so, MS Edge asked me if I wanted to upgrade to a business account. I said no. But I can't do what I need to do with Edge and want it to go away. Far, far away.

I read the thread about Linux and went to their page and read all the posts, but I don't understand what most of this stuff means. I can't help it if I'm a little older and got a late start. I just need to make Edge go away, but I know Microsoft owns it, it came on my computer, and  now I can't get rid of it.

I have an HP Omen laptop, 64 GB of RAM, 1 terabyte memory, and haven't had any trouble with it. Yes, Edge came preinstalled on my computer, but I actually deleted Edge when I first got it and went to Firefox. Then, when my computer crashed in March of this year, it came back with this chromium Edge deal. I can't get rid of it.

I think I need an exorcist.

On 18/09/2023 at 19:14, marciam12 said:

A couple of weeks ago or so, MS Edge asked me if I wanted to upgrade to a business account. I said no. But I can't do what I need to do with Edge and want it to go away. Far, far away.

I read the thread about Linux and went to their page and read all the posts, but I don't understand what most of this stuff means. I can't help it if I'm a little older and got a late start. I just need to make Edge go away, but I know Microsoft owns it, it came on my computer, and  now I can't get rid of it.

I have an HP Omen laptop, 64 GB of RAM, 1 terabyte memory, and haven't had any trouble with it. Yes, Edge came preinstalled on my computer, but I actually deleted Edge when I first got it and went to Firefox. Then, when my computer crashed in March of this year, it came back with this chromium Edge deal. I can't get rid of it.

I think I need an exorcist.

exorcist.jpg

image.jpg

Well now here is a strange thing...

I have two Dell laptops; one with Windows 11 and the other with Linux Mint. Both had similar versions of Microsoft Edge.

All of a sudden, Edge for Business gets updated on Linux Mint but not on Windows 11 (at least not yet).

Does Microsoft think I use my Linux Mint laptop for business? Then what does it think I use the Windows 11 laptop for?

Just strange.

On 19/09/2023 at 17:59, Spannercrank said:

Does Microsoft think I use my Linux Mint laptop for business? Then what does it think I use the Windows 11 laptop for?

The win11 laptop is not for you it is for the NSA

On 19/09/2023 at 19:59, Spannercrank said:

Well now here is a strange thing...

I have two Dell laptops; one with Windows 11 and the other with Linux Mint. Both had similar versions of Microsoft Edge.

All of a sudden, Edge for Business gets updated on Linux Mint but not on Windows 11 (at least not yet).

Just strange.

Same here, hence the initial question.

I do have an Microsoft/Office 365 Business account on that notebook, but that should not be the main identifier to determine whether or not ton”install”/use this Edge for Business.

Apparently because there is a business profile/account logged in via the Settings (Accounts > Work or school account) the Edge for Business is not installed.

However, this cannot be made undone, because - also under the hood - "a business account" must be logged in; either via Office, OneDrive, Edge (though logged out).
Everything is connected with each other in some sort of way. Which is really annoying. Nothing can be done about this.

Microsoft as the "big evil" to let you use all its (inter)connected programs & services, even though you are not asking for it. 

On 20/09/2023 at 08:23, kiddingguy said:

Same here, hence the initial question.

I do have an Microsoft/Office 365 Business account on that notebook, but that should not be the main identifier to determine whether or not ton”install”/use this Edge for Business.

It's likely you've Intune "registered" your device when signing into a work account on the machine.

I'm successfully signed into my work account using the Azure Virtual Desktop client and Edge - as long as you say "sign into this app only", I don't think you'll have any issues with Edge for Business showing up (I haven't personally).

On 21/09/2023 at 17:44, StealMySoda said:

It's likely you've Intune "registered" your device when signing into a work account on the machine.

I'm successfully signed into my work account using the Azure Virtual Desktop client and Edge - as long as you say "sign into this app only", I don't think you'll have any issues with Edge for Business showing up (I haven't personally).

Ah well... I am admin on my own device. So now real 'biggie' - and IT-monitoring - on this Edge for Business. Just wondering very much as to the "why".
It's just annoying that these changes are happening all of sudden, without any explicit mentioning/warning for "Average Joe". It's just there, right in your face.

On 21/09/2023 at 16:54, kiddingguy said:

Ah well... I am admin on my own device. So now real 'biggie' - and IT-monitoring - on this Edge for Business. Just wondering very much as to the "why".
It's just annoying that these changes are happening all of sudden, without any explicit mentioning/warning for "Average Joe". It's just there, right in your face.

I honestly have no issue with the assumption that a device with Office 365 Business installed means it's a business device - it seems a perfectly fair assumption for Microsoft to make. 

I'd be more concerned that if your business email is listed under Workplace accounts means you're device will be (at best) Azure AD registered or (worse) Intune registered. 

On 21/09/2023 at 18:07, StealMySoda said:

I honestly have no issue with the assumption that a device with Office 365 Business installed means it's a business device - it seems a perfectly fair assumption for Microsoft to make. 

I'd be more concerned that if your business email is listed under Workplace accounts means you're device will be (at best) Azure AD registered or (worse) Intune registered. 

Got a point there.

Though when it's not connected to a (organizational) network and just a business Microsoft 365 account [like self-employed, using a business office (legally) on your personal device etc] a 'regular' Edge might also be an option.