Unable to connect to PC on same network, says wrong password but it is correct

I have two PCs on my network, Upstairs-PC and Downstairs-PC. Both run Windows 11.

I recently had to reinstall Windows 11 on my downstairs PC.

Since then, even though I believe I have set up sharing as normal, when I try to access \\Downstairs-PC, it tells me my credentials are incorrect.

Both computers are logged into my Microsoft account.

I have tried entering my Microsoft email address as my username, as well as Downstairs-PC and .\Downstairs-PC.

For the password, I have tried both the system password and the password to my Microsoft account. Neither are working.

I have disabled the firewall on both systems, just in case.

Any ideas?

Edited by Elliot B.

(correct me if I'm wrong here)

I think you are trying to connect to the wrong 'Downstairs-pc".

For example, 'Downstairs-pc(1)' before you reformated, is not the same as 'Downstairs-pc'(2)

How to resolve this, I am unsure, however.

try disabling password protected sharing on the computer you're trying to connect to

Network and Internet -- Advanced Network settings --  Advanced Sharing Settings -- All Networks -- Password-protected sharing

• Like 1

On 12/09/2023 at 15:59, Som said:

try disabling password protected sharing on the computer you're trying to connect to

Network and Internet -- Advanced Network settings --  Advanced Sharing Settings -- All Networks -- Password-protected sharing

^^^^ This. 

Ever since they removed, or moved the troubleshooting.. it's best to turn things off and work your way back from there.