is there a way to resize taskbar size in w11 ?

Hi

is there a way to resize taskbar size in windows 11 without any other software ?

for a laptop , it's pretty big

I guess they have removed as well the registry key to make it small

I have read about a program called Taskbar height and icon size by Windhawk , but i'm reluctant to use a third-party software

and hide / auto hide the taskbar well , i have done

thanks

On 25/09/2023 at 08:13, adrynalyne said:

Not without a third party app. Start11 works well. Windhawk worked well the last time I tried it. 

hi

i can't understand why did microsoft removed the possibility to change the size

well , i will keep windhawk ,but seems to run a beta tester operation system , i'm talking about windows 11 

just worried about future issues with updates 

thanks

On 25/09/2023 at 08:18, drugo said:

hi

well , i will keep windhawk ,but seems to run a beta tester operation system , i'm talking about windows 11 

just worried about future issues with updates 

thanks

Windhawk is safer than the others. Worst case, it doesn’t work. It’s not modifying system or registry entries I don’t think. I believe it’s patching in-memory. 

As for Microsoft’s decisions…who knows. I doubt they even know. 

On 25/09/2023 at 17:31, adrynalyne said:

Windhawk is safer than the others. Worst case, it doesn’t work. It’s not modifying system or registry entries I don’t think. I believe it’s patching in-memory. 

As for Microsoft’s decisions…who knows. I doubt they even know. 

hi

sadly open shell does seem to give a different look and seem to be not able to reduce the taskbar icons , maybe in future updates 

well i guess it's windhawk the way to go

thanks

On 25/09/2023 at 08:18, drugo said:

The "official" answer is usually based on telemetry, relatively few users would have modified the taskbar, so the feature was dropped. This is generally the main reason for why features are taken away over time. But in reality, who knows if that's actually the case or not.

On 27/09/2023 at 19:48, Quillz said:

The "official" answer is usually based on telemetry, relatively few users would have modified the taskbar, so the feature was dropped. This is generally the main reason for why features are taken away over time. But in reality, who knows if that's actually the case or not.

MS seemingly only knows how to use Telemetry to remove features. 

On 27/09/2023 at 21:24, adrynalyne said:

MS seemingly only knows how to use Telemetry to remove features. 

Well I would imagine like any corporation, they want to maximize profit and also reduce the amount of code they have to maintain. So using telemetry to justify removing features would seem to allow them to do just that.

The primary problem with a lot of the current missing features is that they're rolling things out when they're not feature complete and updating later.

Around the time 10 launched the Windows group decided to make a few changes. Most pertinent to this discussIon are the ongoing refactoring work to every part of Windows and the embrace of AGILE.

The entire codebase is being refactored and they've found parts that flat out won't "play nice". Those parts are getting ground-up rewrites and are "expected" to reach feature parity with the older versions they replace, in an ideal scenario.

That obviously hasn't been the case as stuff rolls out when it's functional with updates to the completeness of the feature set later. This can lead to laziness about finishing things off though.

It's shipped so focus moves onto the next ship item.

Microsoft "reengineered" the taskbar with Windows 11. Essentially, they made it again from the scratch.

Because of the need to ship a functional product, by telemetry, they got rid of functions and settings that almost nobody uses, like resize the taskbar, option that allowed more icons, and also move the taskbar to other places (upper or both sides of the desktop). There are a very few people who actually resizes (like me). With newer versions, they re-added more options that a very few number of people use it (like combine or show text). But resize and move really are useless for the majority.

In the beginning, I simply didn't want to upgrade from 10 to 11 because of this. Then, last year, when 22H2 launched, I realized that Microsoft will never let the taskbar to change position or resize again (in Windows 11, and in 12 or future versions too). As a matter of fact, some leaked screenshots shows preliminary Windows 12 desktop 'concepts' with a "MacOS-inspired" floating Dock, in the bottom of the desktop. So, I decided to adapt my workflow for that future reality.

Leaked! New Windows 12 interface is revealed!

I tried to use Start11 (Trial), but for some reason it didn't work well with 4K displays (very laggy). So, like I said, I decided to delete icons on my taskbar and simply adapt myself. Sad.

Edited by Jolo

On 01/10/2023 at 18:38, Jolo said:

Microsoft "reengineered" the taskbar with Windows 11. Essentially, they made it again from the scratch.

Because of the need to ship a functional product, by telemetry, they got rid of functions and settings that almost nobody uses, like resize the taskbar, option that allowed more icons, and also move the taskbar to other places (upper or both sides of the desktop). There are a very few people who actually resizes (like me). With newer versions, they re-added more options that a very few number of people use it (like combine or show text). But resize and move really are useless for the majority.

In the beginning, I simply didn't want to upgrade from 10 to 11 because of this. Then, last year, when 22H2 launched, I realized that Microsoft will never let the taskbar to change position or resize again (in Windows 11, and in 12 or future versions too). As a matter of fact, some leaked screenshots shows preliminary Windows 12 desktop 'concepts' with a "MacOS-inspired" floating Dock, in the bottom of the desktop. So, I decided to adapt my workflow for that future reality.

Leaked! New Windows 12 interface is revealed!

I tried to use Start11 (Trial), but for some reason it didn't work well with 4K displays (very laggy). So, like I said, I decided to delete icons on my taskbar and simply adapt myself. Sad.

In summary, MS is only interested in shipping MVP.

On 01/10/2023 at 18:38, Jolo said:

I realized that Microsoft will never let the taskbar to change position or resize again

How do you know this?

In order to resize the taskbar from the standard size to a larger size, we need to use the registry editor, which we call up using a magnifying glass. Invoking the registry editor in Windows 11. Changing the taskbar size in Windows 11. Creating a new DWORD value in the registry editor.

• 5 months later...
On 02/10/2023 at 03:38, Jolo said:

Hi

but does it let the application bar be small like windows 10?

and does it patch some files ?

thanks

On 25/09/2023 at 08:13, adrynalyne said:

Not without a third party app. Start11 works well. Windhawk worked well the last time I tried it. 

hi

about windhawk even updated ,it's pretty buggy

i use to keep updated , but the taskbar application icons are just mad :(

thanks

Hi,

with windhawk (is very stable, I never had a issue with it) you can do a lot of things (minus the color, I like the classic color theme, so using Start11 you can change that) .

Here i'm using the follow mods:

• taskbar height and icon size (to use a small taskbar)
  • taskbar labels for windows 11
  • taskbar clock customization (to show the time and date + day of week on the small taskbar)
  • taskbar volume control (control the system volume by scrolling over the taskbar)

image.png.38d2de4e41832cadadf77cce58cdbc81.png

image.png.fceef82b8c6f7836d84741d56eaeba0e.png

Edited by tuto

On 13/03/2024 at 18:52, tuto said:

Hi,

with windhawk (is very stable, I never had a issue with it) you can do a lot of things (minus the color, I like the classic color theme, so using Start11 you can change that) .

Here i'm using the follow mods:

• taskbar height and icon size (to use a small taskbar)
  • taskbar labels for windows 11
  • taskbar clock customization (to show the time and date + day of week on the small taskbar)
  • taskbar volume control (control the system volume by scrolling over the taskbar)

image.png.38d2de4e41832cadadf77cce58cdbc81.png

image.png.fceef82b8c6f7836d84741d56eaeba0e.png

Hi

i use only

taskbar height and icon size (to use a small taskbar)

and the program size is about  680 MB  , unbelievable only for the icons and my icons  many times are just splitted  and messy

z2nrJyR.png

image.png.6712d808964cc7cac51742a53861aec8.png

aTM1v5Y.png

eHEifn7.png

JOISRnh.png

On 13/03/2024 at 15:51, drugo said:

Hi

i use only

and the program size is about  680 MB  , unbelievable only for the icons and my icons  many times are just splitted  and messy

z2nrJyR.png

image.png.6712d808964cc7cac51742a53861aec8.png

aTM1v5Y.png

eHEifn7.png

JOISRnh.png

bah, pretty weird. Maybe is the "taskbar button width" value? I use the default value:

image.thumb.png.7cef3e90be51e1d126fc2074a3567b78.png

Update: I tried with your value (16), click save and restarted Explorer (as the note said) and i got the same cluttered taskbar:

image.png.e1d0fc59e5383f3c0ec2c19c431cc0ca.png

On 13/03/2024 at 20:05, tuto said:

bah, pretty weird. Maybe is the "taskbar button width" value? I use the default value:

image.thumb.png.7cef3e90be51e1d126fc2074a3567b78.png

Update: I tried with your value (16), click save and restarted Explorer (as the note said) and i got the same cluttered taskbar:

image.png.e1d0fc59e5383f3c0ec2c19c431cc0ca.png

hi

do you think should i add task bar width 44 ?

thanks

On 13/03/2024 at 16:49, drugo said:

hi

do you think should i add task bar width 44 ?

thanks

yes, and restart explorer