Win 11 RDP wants to be TCP only

Not sure when this started but on my network windows 10 machines will talk fine via UDP with RDP, which lets them play videos fine and not have audio sync issues...

But all my windows 11 machines RDP will only connect over TCP which you get lag, lots of lag, and play a youtube video over RDP via TCP and the audio sync is way off and video quality is ok but not great. (Which is the same as what you'd get in windows 10 with TCP only)

Anyone know why windows 11 would go to TCP and not UDP on a local network? there is no firewall rules in the way, the default RDP rules in windows for TCP and the one for UDP remote desktop are enabled like you'd expect.

I've even tried to set the local group policy settings for remote desktop session hosts to use UDP only and when you do that it just wont work, change it to use UDP or TCP which defaults to UDP, and it uses TCP, change to use both UDP and TCP and it just uses TCP still.

I'm only seeing this on windows 11 machines I RDP into, seeing it both on windows 10 and 11 desktops that are RDP'ing into windows 11 pro machines.

If I am on a windows 11 machine and RDP to a windows 10 machine UDP works fine from the Win 10 remote desktop....

[Window Title]
Remote Desktop Connection

[Content]
Your connection quality is good.

[^] Hide details  [OK]

[Expanded Information]
Timestamp (UTC): 09/26/23 08:15:34 PM
Activity ID: f1fb9dbf-afa6-4704-bb0e-ddb27fc70100

[Client details]
Client version: 10.0.22621.2361 (x64)
Local OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 (10.0, Build 22621)

[Network details]
Transport protocol: TCP
Round-trip time: 7 ms
Available bandwidth: 45.63 Mbps
Frame rate: 0 FPS

This is what I get from the connection activity when its running to a windows 11 RDP session, yes it says windows 10 pro, but that's windows 11 just incase that trips you up... thanks MS for not showing the right OS based on build number...

On 26/09/2023 at 16:59, BudMan said:

if you google rdp udp windows 11 - this seems to be a known issue.

Yeah I saw stuff that was similar from over a year ago, you'd of thought they'd of fixed it by now.. the solution of "turn off UDP" isn't a solution since UDP RDP works so much better with full motion video... and most of the stuff I was seeing was when you use a Remote Desktop gateway or Remote Desktop Connection Broker, which I am not

On 27/09/2023 at 00:48, BudMan said:

hahaha - ok, what MS do you know?

the same MS that previously broke RDP a decade ago similarly with their network security where it'd fail to connect and took a whole service pack to fix 🤣

When has using RDP to a client machine ever resulted in good multimedia experience? lol, It wasn't designed for that, it's an admin session for management. Whatever experience you get from your other machines, consider it a bonus, neat. 

The issue you were referring to was resolved in 2023-01, yes the problem revolved around connecting to RDC brokers, but it is unrelated to what you're discussing here.

Can RDP have a good multimedia experience? Sure, you'll need the infrastructure to support it. No, not a GPU in a desktop client machine...

On 28/09/2023 at 01:24, binaryzero said:

When has using RDP to a client machine ever resulted in good multimedia experience? lol, It wasn't designed for that, it's an admin session for management. Whatever experience you get from your other machines, consider it a bonus, neat. 

The issue you were referring to was resolved in 2023-01, yes the problem revolved around connecting to RDC brokers, but it is unrelated to what you're discussing here.

Can RDP have a good multimedia experience? Sure, you'll need the infrastructure to support it. No, not a GPU in a desktop client machine...

I ALWAYS had good results with RDP when it was connected via UDP, and yes it was designed for it the whole UDP version was designed for low latency and full motion video.. and you might want to look into RemoteFX (which has been merged into other tech now and renamed) and other advancements that were put into RDP, including remote GPU usage.... it's way more advanced than you think it is now, the old days it stunk yes it hasn't been like that for many years when you are on a LAN... I've been able to watch 4K video over a WAN connection full screen over UDP with very low latency through RDP... this was all implemented for stuff like VDI which we also have a bank of systems running with users using virtual desktops via RDP in VM environments... you can't even tell it's not a local system when its set up with UDP except the fact its on a thin client. And the GPU i'm talking about was in the "server" end which is running a desktop client... I could have worded that better

and yes I know that broker issue has nothing to do with it, I was just saying that's all I was finding when searching google for this issue related to UDP and people saying turn UPD off for that issue.

Edited by neufuse

On 28/09/2023 at 21:46, neufuse said:

I ALWAYS had good results with RDP when it was connected via UDP, and yes it was designed for it the whole UDP version was designed for low latency and full motion video.. and you might want to look into RemoteFX (which has been merged into other tech now and renamed) and other advancements that were put into RDP, including remote GPU usage.... it's way more advanced than you think it is now, the old days it stunk yes it hasn't been like that for many years when you are on a LAN... I've been able to watch 4K video over a WAN connection full screen over UDP with very low latency through RDP... this was all implemented for stuff like VDI which we also have a bank of systems running with users using virtual desktops via RDP in VM environments... you can't even tell it's not a local system when its set up with UDP except the fact its on a thin client. And the GPU i'm talking about was in the "server" end which is running a desktop client... I could have worded that better

and yes I know that broker issue has nothing to do with it, I was just saying that's all I was finding when searching google for this issue related to UDP and people saying turn UPD off for that issue.

I implied that I was aware of the what RDP can offer in the way of multimedia experiences with the right infrastructure... 

Your initial message didn't specify this was in a business setting, I would've responded differently. Context helps...

On 28/09/2023 at 09:20, binaryzero said:

I implied that I was aware of the what RDP can offer in the way of multimedia experiences with the right infrastructure... 

Your initial message didn't specify this was in a business setting, I would've responded differently. Context helps...

shouldn't matter, I said it was on a local network in the original post (I only mentioned WAN because it also worked fine for me with my high bandwidth connection), even if it was 100 Mbit it'd still be enough for low latency RDP, and I never said it was in a business setting, this is all personal hardware

On 29/09/2023 at 13:37, neufuse said:

shouldn't matter, I said it was on a local network in the original post (I only mentioned WAN because it also worked fine for me with my high bandwidth connection), even if it was 100 Mbit it'd still be enough for low latency RDP, and I never said it was in a business setting, this is all personal hardware

this was all implemented for stuff like VDI which we also have a bank of systems running with users using virtual desktops via RDP in VM environments...

Nice, you can't read between the lines of what I said.

Watching video through RDP from another PC in your house... riiight. Okay well ymmv.

On 28/09/2023 at 23:45, binaryzero said:

Nice, you can't read between the lines of what I said.

Watching video through RDP from another PC in your house... riiight. Okay well ymmv.

I said it works for me fine, just something changed, suddenly on windows 11 systems, not sure why you're trying to make something else out of this... I already stated it worked for me fine so my market specifically for me wont vary