FF, YouTube and Ad blocking

So without an argument about the ethics of adblocking, I have uBlock Origin installed, and now that Google is stopping the use of Ad blocking on YouTube. I have found a script that runs in GreaseMonkey that bypasses the popup that insists on you disabling the adblocking, however, now after 10 seconds of watching a video, it suddenly pauses, so I have to restart the video. Is there any way to stop this pause?

I've got Firefox as my default browser, uBlock Origin as my adblocker, and I don't know if it helps but I run through a VPN 9/10 times that I'm online.

I'm confused about all the talk about YouTube cracking down on adblockers, as this has been my setup for a few years now and I've yet to see any change to my abilities with YouTube. No ads, and so long as the Internet doesn't drop I get to watch videos without an issue.

unfortunately it's likely just going to get worse and worse.

They're doing things similar to Twitch, where it's embedded in the same stream. This makes it incredibly hard to block; most methods use a sudo proxy to regions that don't get ads, but even these methods are a cat/mouse game as the code bases update; and when the ad provider is starting to trump the block code, that's when you start getting the freezing and such.

I've got it on my FF using AdBlock Origin. My FF is out of date though, so I do need to update it sometime soon. I did seem to get rid of them for a short while after purging and updating my adblock caches.

Adguard lifetime license. Strangely, when I had ublock and adguard enabled simultaneously, I saw the error. I disabled ublock on YT, yet left adguard on, and it started working like it always did, as they say.

It happened to me this morning in Firefox. 

I simply agreed that I disabled my adblocker and the video continued is a lesser bitrate (not HD) I manually went back a few seconds and it switched to HD on its own again, and I did not get the popup anymore.

After that I updated the uBlock origin filters (idk if that helped).

Hi,

I'm using uBlock Origin with this script applied in my filters

youtube.com##+js(set, yt.config_.openPopupConfig.supportedPopups.adBlockMessageViewModel, false)
youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.adBlocksFound, 0)
youtube.com##+js(set, ytplayer.config.args.raw_player_response.adPlacements, [])
youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.hasAllowedInstreamAd, true)

And I haven't received advertising since it has been applied

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

OK, so the issue is not getting the pop-up, it is the fact that after 10 seconds, YouTube pauses the video in what I am assuming would be the time that the pop-up would be displayed, and I have to start the playback again.

On 19/10/2023 at 12:16, Steven P. said:

I simply agreed that I disabled my adblocker and the video continued is a lesser bitrate (not HD) I manually went back a few seconds and it switched to HD on its own again, and I did not get the popup anymore.

I had that and tried that as well and it seemed to have worked for a short while. I then got a 3 video countdown, of which I've hit my 3rd video and Youtube videos are now blocked (or myabe only those with ads - I didn't get the countdown on all videos either).

On 19/10/2023 at 13:05, snowy owl said:

Hi,

I'm using uBlock Origin with this script applied in my filters

youtube.com##+js(set, yt.config_.openPopupConfig.supportedPopups.adBlockMessageViewModel, false)
youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.adBlocksFound, 0)
youtube.com##+js(set, ytplayer.config.args.raw_player_response.adPlacements, [])
youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.hasAllowedInstreamAd, true)

And I haven't received advertising since it has been applied

Thanks, I'll give them a go.

EDIT: they don't work after the 3-video block. Its fine, I'll just watch the video in private mode. It works fine, so far.

On 19/10/2023 at 15:47, jnelsoninjax said:

OK, so the issue is not getting the pop-up, it is the fact that after 10 seconds, YouTube pauses the video in what I am assuming would be the time that the pop-up would be displayed, and I have to start the playback again.

I can live with that.

I don't have anything against ads, but it costs way too much, when I don't really care about Youtube Music.

• Like 1

Hi,

On 19/10/2023 at 11:16, Legendary said:

EDIT: they don't work after the 3-video block.

I'm sorry to hear that, because on my side, it works very well, I can watch as many videos as I want, without any ads or popup asking me to deactivate my ad blocker.

I'm using FF ESR 115.3.1

On 19/10/2023 at 06:16, Steven P. said:

I always just hit the X and it continued to let me play the video. .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently using FadBlock: Friendly Adblock for Youtube for Firefox, and it seems to be working fine. It doesn't block the ad, but instead hides it and auto skips it. It does it in milliseconds, so no waiting to skip the ad. Its open source and it was posted on a Reddit thread about this issue. You still have to disable ad blocking via other methods on Youtube first, then this will work.