What is the difference?

I am not sure on the difference between the Barton & Thoroughbred chips. I know the processing speed but, what is the over all difference? Is there any good sites that explain this?

My understanding, and I stand to be corrected, is that a Barton has a 512 L2 Cache, whereas the Thoroughbred has half that, 256. Now you can have, for example, two CPUs at 2800+ and their different names relate to the architecture, specifically the L2 cache. Now what is so good about the L2 cache? Well there is obviously a performance gain on some applications. Yet that performance gain does not relate to the clock speed per se so that is why you can have, for example two 2800+ with different names, Barton or Thoroughbred.

:cool:

the performance gain kinda stops once you go over 512KB L2.

There only either 256 for the Thoroughbred and 512 for the Barton. There is nothing more at this time. I don't know what you are referring to.

prolly he's referring to FX51, and high endish Athlon64 which feature 1 MB L2. The point being that the time it takes to look stuff up it TLB in a larger cach in addition to miss petalties (when it's not in cach and CPU has to wait for the RAM access) those delays destroy the advantages of larger cach.

non of which concerns the 2 cpu's mentioned in this thread.

/edit: I first included Opteron above, but it was a mistake, as 1mb cach in there does in fact help performance.

Edited by lexor

There only either 256 for the Thoroughbred and 512 for the Barton. There is nothing more at this time. I don't know what you are referring to.

he is probably referring to advances in 64bit processors.

Yep, 512kb L2 does make a difference. But only in certain applications. That is why the 2500 Barton is rated higher than the 2400+, even though the 2400 cranks out at a higher ghz speed ( 1.825ghz to 2.01ghz), in bench marks and actual multimedia applications the Barton does better.

you could google "Barton vs. thorobred"