how can I import passwords (exported from firefox) from a desktop to firefox latop without the sync?

Hi

I would like to export my passwords from firefox and import to another computer (laptop)  in firefox

I don't want to use the sync feature

I know how can I export passwords from firefox -> export logins -> .csv file

but when i try to import firefox exported passwords , well on preferences -> general  -> import data -> I can find chrome , edge ,even explorer but not .csv

thanks

On 10/11/2023 at 09:15, Sulphy said:

Have you tried export / import from a file?

image.png.9e2c92f9308af6a16ecbe3caf353d2d8.png

image.png.3e1e213dde3142c23a4e0556fcdfabfe.png

hi

I haven't import from a file

I have only import from another browser 

don't know why i haven't import from a file

thanks 

Might be down to the version of FF? My screenshots are from v118/119... what version are you on?

When i click the hamburger menu on the top right, i get this menu, and open the passwords page:
image.png.7fc3702fb5f7b6506f70d7e36a18ba23.png

From there, i get the import from a file option... when i click on the 3 dots..

image.png.95056a5d45701f4ded43fb2c02df5b26.png

Only other thing i can think of, is.... are you on a personal laptop? or is it a company device, in which case, there may be a policy that has disabled / removed / blocked your ability to import from a file...

I did a quick google search, and found this, have you tried enabling the feature?

Note: If you don't see Import from a File… in the Firefox Lockwise menu, it means the feature is disabled. To enable it, go to the about:config page, find the signon.management.page.fileImport.enabled preference and toggle it to true.

On 10/11/2023 at 10:28, Sulphy said:

Note: If you don't see Import from a File… in the Firefox Lockwise menu, it means the feature is disabled. To enable it, go to the about:config page, find the signon.management.page.fileImport.enabled preference and toggle it to true.

Hi @Sulphy

yes i was disabled by default , i haveenabled

signon.management.page.fileImport.enabled

to

true

signon.management.page.fileImport.enabled -> true

and now there is the import from a file

but why is it disabled by default?

thanks Sulphy

Great stuff, glad you got it sorted... No idea why this would have been disabled. It is the first time i have heard of this!

side note: it's best to store passwords in a proper password manager (I suggest using one that's offline storage of passwords only, so it uses a local database file (then you can just copy that local file to whatever computer you need it on)) that works separately from a browser. this way no matter what browser you use, you ain't got to worry about browser specific issues acting up. personally I would never trust storing a bunch of passwords solely on the browser (and naturally, even with a password manager, make sure to make backup copies of the main password database file).

• Like 3

On 10/11/2023 at 16:07, ThaCrip said:

side note: it's best to store passwords in a proper password manager (I suggest using one that's offline storage of passwords only, so it uses a local database file (then you can just copy that local file to whatever computer you need it on)) that works separately from a browser. this way no matter what browser you use, you ain't got to worry about browser specific issues acting up. personally I would never trust storing a bunch of passwords solely on the browser (and naturally, even with a password manager, make sure to make backup copies of the main password database file).

Hi @ThaCrip

I use keepass

thanks

On 10/11/2023 at 15:35, Sulphy said:

Great stuff, glad you got it sorted... No idea why this would have been disabled. It is the first time i have heard of this!

hi @Sulphy

really appreciate it

thanks