Caution with the latest Microsoft Visual C++ update

Hi,

I'm running Windows 10 22H2 version 19045.3570

And this morning after updating “Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable Package 14.38.33130.0”, and having rebooted my laptop, all my desktop icons ended up on the left side, so I tried to drag them to their original positions on the right side, as soon as I released the left-click of the mouse, they returned to the right side, where they had been moved following this update.

DISM and sfc /scannow showed no problems!

Not wishing to install a third-party application, having never encountered this problem before, I had to perform a system restore, which completely solved the problem! All my desktop icons back where they belong!

I'm not saying that everyone could encounter this problem, but don't be surprised if it happens!

Another great job by Microsoft!

Problem solved by system restore!

On 17/11/2023 at 10:19, macoman said:

That's weird, I always performed the installation of the Microsoft Visual C++ and never have issues with it in Windows 10.

Nor will you unless you have an application that doesn’t work right with it. Out of the box, Windows does not require the vc++ runtime. I’m guessing OP has an application running that had problems with it. 

On 17/11/2023 at 13:16, adrynalyne said:

Nor will you unless you have an application that doesn’t work right with it. Out of the box, Windows does not require the vc++ runtime. I’m guessing OP has an application running that had problems with it. 

I use it to install in users computer. We use a customized xerox printer install that require this app in the organization.

Hi,

Quite a twist, after installing this Patch Tuesday updates, reboot, followed by reinstallation of "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable Package 14.38.33130.0", and this time, no issue with the Desktop icons!???

Before installing the Patch Tuesday updates, I had checked in the event viewer, and, apart from those famous DCOMs, there was nothing unusual.

It's mind-boggling!

All's well that ends well!

On 17/11/2023 at 14:50, snowy owl said:

Another great job by Microsoft!

Got to love their QA department...

I'm intrigued though. You installed the update and the issue occurred, and you said that you did a system restore to rectify the situation. Before you did the installation of the Patch Tuesday updates, were you able to recreate the issue?

I only ask in order to try and figure out if it was one installation gone wrong, or if it was an issue that happened each time the update was made.

Hello @Nick H.

Honestly, I didn't bother with it at all, because after restoring the system, the computer worked just fine, as if nothing had happened.

During the day, I received a notification from my antivirus, telling me that there were 3 zero-day vulnerabilities that were being actively exploited. This prompted me to install the November 14 Patch Tuesday.

In my opinion, it must be an installation error, because, after checking the event viewer, precisely at the time of installation, and in the minutes following the reboot, there's no error, not even a warning, and that's after checking all the categories in the event viewer.

I'm still trying to figure it out!???

Because there's absolutely nothing in the event viewer

I wish I could have been more helpful 🤷🏽‍♂️!???

MS QA dept has about 10³¹¹ variables to deal with.

On 19/11/2023 at 09:00, xrobwx71 said:

MS QA dept has about 10³¹¹ variables to deal with.

When you say QA, you mean us? 😂

Even Visual Studio is using public previews for testing now. 

You're sure the 'auto arrange icons' and 'align icons to grid' was not triggered somehow?
Sound like it tbh... 🤷‍♂️

Hi @Dutchie64,

In all honesty, I've never thought to check this setting, for the simple reason that I've never had any issues with the desktop icons since the very beginning of  Windows 10. I've heard here and there that some users have encountered this problem, and that most of them have turned to a third-party application to fix it.

But never having encountered it, having experienced it, the situation would have been quite different... 🤷🏽‍♂️!??

It's in times like this that we forget about these little settings, having never encountered this issue before... Maybe I'd have thought of it if???

But you're right, it does look a lot like this behavior.

On 25/11/2023 at 19:56, Runia21 said:

Microsoft Visual C++ update caused desktop icon issues; system restore fixed it. Microsoft glitches persist!

Never ever had this issue tbh, but I know that updates sometimes messed up icon desktop settings. But those are always easy to reset.

What a lot of ppl seem to forget is that a problem can be related to a whole lot of factors that others just don't have.
The amount of variables between hardware and software is enough to have widely different issues.

I was in IT for a long time, and even when we started out a department with identical software and hardware, there was always some weird issues in only 2-5% of machines.
Why?
Different users, workflows, websites visited or the order of starting your apps in the morning.
Who knows? ;)