In search of a new motherboard

I currently have an Asus Hero Vii board with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X and I have reason to believe that the board is dead. It gets power, and everything lights up but will not POST. I get a Q code that does not return to anything, and the only thing I have done is install this board into a new case. I have replaced the CPU and would like to replace the board as a final troubleshooting step. The Asus boards are great, but also $400 for the exact one I have. I would like an equivalent board that does not cost $400. If I could get some suggestions, that would be great.

On 19/11/2023 at 17:34, Mindovermaster said:

Do you mean a ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO?

Also, what size do you want? ATX, M-ATX, or ITX?

Yes, and I guess ATX, whatever size the current board is.

On 19/11/2023 at 17:15, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes, and I guess ATX, whatever size the current board is.

Yeah, it is an ATX.

What are you looking for potentially? I mean, these days boards are kinda standard. Except for more ports and devivces, like WiFi, Bios dignostic panel and more M.2 slots, for example.

On 19/11/2023 at 18:23, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, it is an ATX.

What are you looking for potentially? I mean, these days boards are kinda standard. Except for more ports and devivces, like WiFi, Bios dignostic panel and more M.2 slots, for example.

At this point, just something that will (potentially) get my PC running again. Ideally something comparable to what I have with the ASUS

It does sound like something is wrong with the board. Also I understand AM4 is a dead-end platform and it would make sense not to spend too much on it; but, do you ever plan to upgrade the 5800X to something like the 5950X? AMD has confirmed that AM4 is going to stick around for a while, so expect another couple of years of support and three years of AM4-based boards and chips. https://www.neowin.net/news/computex-2022-amd-ceo-lisa-su-confirms-socket-am4-is-far-from-dead-yet/

In that case, spending somewhat reasonable money on a motherboard with good VRMs will help as the 5950X is a 16-core part and hence needs much more power.

The MSI MAG Bazooka B550M is one of the best in that regard in terms of value and it is currently just $150 on Newegg but the sale ends very soon: https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-b550-tomahawk/p/N82E16813144326

Edit: I put in the wrong link. The Bazooka looks to be out of stock at both Newegg and Amazon so it may not be an option.

You can actually check this video to see which can handle a 16-core part without overheating and order according to your budget

Edited by hellowalkman
Put in wrong link
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the video. I used Google Shopping and scored the MSI MAG Bazooka B550M for $58 brand new! Expected delivery by the 2nd of December. So even though I have had a really bad experience with MSI, I am going to put that aside and try this board.

• Love 1

On 20/11/2023 at 14:48, farmeunit said:

Side note, I have seen boards light up along with fans and everything else, and swapped the PSU and then it was fine.  

I can't remember his last thread about this, but I think he did try that. But yeah, it can be anything that's causing this issue.

Being he ordered his new board already, we'll see, won't we? :)

• Like 2

On 20/11/2023 at 15:48, farmeunit said:

Side note, I have seen boards light up along with fans and everything else, and swapped the PSU and then it was fine.  

I swapped the PSU with a brand new one and even tested it with a PSU tester and it showed fine. That was my first thought as well, despite the fact the board lights up.

• Like 2

Hello,

I am not as familiar with AMD-based systems as I am Intel ones, but from looking at the specs for the ASUS ROG CROSSHARI VII HERO, I think the ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR might be an option if you wish to stick with the same motherboard vendor.  Hopefully someone with more AMD experience can weigh in on its suitability as a replacement.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Should be fine.  B550 supposedly has better power system then X470, even.  As long as it's got the amount of I/O you need for storage, it shouldn't really matter.  Performance between them should be identical.

That being said, if you move to AM5, be careful  with Asus.  They have a history of memory issues, and then the "burning processor" issue, which has been fixed since then, but I think the memory issue is ongoing with certain configurations. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, today I finally got the board mounted and everything barebones plugged into it, and it tries to boot but seems stuck in an infinite boot loop. When it first POSTed it gave a warning about the TPM signature, so I am assuming I am going to have to reinstall the OS (Win10), but at least I know that the GPU is good which was my other possible concern

Hello,

Unless you are swapping in an identical motherboard (same brand, model, BIOS version) it is a good idea to perform a clean installation of Windows in order to allow the setup process to detect and configure the new hardware resources.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

On 12/12/2023 at 10:37, jnelsoninjax said:

Well, today I finally got the board mounted and everything barebones plugged into it, and it tries to boot but seems stuck in an infinite boot loop. When it first POSTed it gave a warning about the TPM signature, so I am assuming I am going to have to reinstall the OS (Win10), but at least I know that the GPU is good which was my other possible concern

In general, if you are switching from a motherboard to another motherboard with the same or similar chipset (B550 to B550 or B550 to X570), there should be no problem.

In fact, with Windows 7 and later, even if you switch to a motherboard with a completely different chipset, Windows will automatically try to find the right drivers for you.

You should consider selling the processor and memory and upgrade to the AM5 platform.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($358.14 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B650 LiveMixer ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: OLOy Blade 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $588.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-13 12:08 EST-0500