is there a way to protect an exFat partition files "read only" to be overwritten ?

Hi
I have an external hard disk , and i have created an exFat partition and a folder called audio with only audio files , mp3 and aac
I created this partition exFAT just because I want to share with windows

in windows it 's pretty easy , i can select all of them and set them read only , but i don't know if macos (ituens or Swinsian or other applications) will respect it

is there a way to avoid mac application to overwrite my audio files from Itunes or Swinsian ?
thanks

use Windows, mac or linux totally useless for professional work (used by my sister for Youtube only and some selfies with expensive grey fruit logo laptop machine)

On 20/11/2023 at 17:13, KZ7S2zj9XS2MKs5 said:

use Windows, mac or linux totally useless for professional work (used by my sister for Youtube only and some selfies with expensive grey fruit logo laptop machine)

play tip #1: Always have at least TWO backups of your files. ALL of them.,... ;) 

• Like 2

On 20/11/2023 at 11:13, KZ7S2zj9XS2MKs5 said:

I am guessing you must work in the fast food industry. Macs are widely used by professionals (execs, coders, graphic designers).  What are you taking about? I say this and don't care for Mac OS and have never owned a Mac. Linux is also very popular with coders/programmers. Regardless, the OP's scenario was for content consumption NOT professional use. #facepalm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi

but so there is no a way to protect a folder with a lot of subfolders in an exFat partion under macos ,isn't it?

I guess under windows it will enough to set read only ,and no program could overwrite them , total commander could do pretty easily

thanks

On 20/11/2023 at 18:10, drugo said:

Hi

but so there is no a way to protect a folder with a lot of subfolders in an exFat partion under macos ,isn't it?

I guess under windows it will enough to set read only ,and no program could overwrite them , total commander could do pretty easily

thanks

you cannot expect different OS's behave the same with drive permissions on the same drive/pc.
It's different when it's on a network drive, there it's a different mechanism.

Just have backups in case you mess up. It's a good strategy anyway.

And I don't really get why you formatted with exFat...... If you have a regular external HDD, just format with NTFS. It's safer for your data. exFat is normally used for memorycards.

And a NTFS drive will (normally) boot into Linux as read only anyway. Pretty sure it's the same for MacOS.

On 20/11/2023 at 12:05, Dutchie64 said:

And a NTFS drive will (normally) boot into Linux as read only anyway. Pretty sure it's the same for MacOS.

NTFS is read/write on Linux; Linux just doesn't have some of the permissions implemented in their NTFS driver.

Write for NTFS can be enabled on MacOS, but pretty sure it's read-only by default still.

On 20/11/2023 at 19:08, Brandon H said:

NTFS is read/write on Linux; Linux just doesn't have some of the permissions implemented in their NTFS driver.

Write for NTFS can be enabled on MacOS, but pretty sure it's read-only by default still.

Ah.. Stuff changed. Not using Linux/Mac that way very often... ;)

NTFS drives by default are read only on macOS unless you have installed Microsoft NTFS for Mac by Tuxera or Microsoft NTFS for Mac | Paragon Software

If you really want macOS to not mess with files on your storage, format it as NTFS and do not install NTFS drivers for macOS

exFAT is read and write on macOS just like FAT32

On 20/11/2023 at 17:21, Dutchie64 said:

play tip #1: Always have at least TWO backups of your files. ALL of them.,... ;) 

Hi

my external hard disk is my  backup of a backup

And I don't really get why you formatted with exFat......

Just because I wanted to a partition where i can save files under mac/windows and read them without any problem

thanks

On 21/11/2023 at 06:15, aioraito said:

NTFS drives by default are read only on macOS unless you have installed Microsoft NTFS for Mac by Tuxera or Microsoft NTFS for Mac | Paragon Software

If you really want macOS to not mess with files on your storage, format it as NTFS and do not install NTFS drivers for macOS

exFAT is read and write on macOS just like FAT32

hi

I guess you are right , I just did a test , checked for partition integrety under mac and it does mess up the partition , i had to fix with a program for windows only

thanks

On 20/11/2023 at 17:13, KZ7S2zj9XS2MKs5 said:

hi

might you please tell me the default macos sample rate "music" ?

Just because I guess it shoud be 24bit and 48k and i guess a macos program did mess up it and it's stuck at 16bit and at 44.100

just is enough spotlight and type Audio Midi Setup

thanks

On 20/11/2023 at 11:46, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

I am guessing you must work in the fast food industry. Macs are widely used by professionals (execs, coders, graphic designers).  What are you taking about? I say this and don't care for Mac OS and have never owned a Mac. Linux is also very popular with coders/programmers. Regardless, the OP's scenario was for content consumption NOT professional use. #facepalm

i am, you right. Fast food chain IT tech. Any macs are blocked in our network.

On 22/11/2023 at 20:51, KZ7S2zj9XS2MKs5 said:

Our network? Does your pet mouse use your home Internet?

On 22/11/2023 at 18:51, KZ7S2zj9XS2MKs5 said:

That sounds very much like a fictional story.  Even if it were true, it’s more along the lines of only approved devices are allowed on the network and it has nil to do with it being a Mac. 

Unless it’s your own personal network at home😛