• OpenSUSE
    • Arch
    • Manjaro
    • Endeavour OS
    • I roll my own!
    • Other (please specify
    • Fedora

On 11/05/2024 at 12:29, Max Norris said:

Got a laptop running Kubuntu 24.04 specifically because it's running Plasma 5 and not 6. 6, at least for me, is still quirky (some buttons I have to click multiple times before it "sees" it for example), some extensions and such that I regularly use aren't available yet, etc. Pretty much the only option if you want to stay with Plasma 5 for a while. It's been very stable and reliable, except on my one PC. Install and update, bam black screen on boot. For whatever reason Plymouth hard-locks on boot, need to disable the "splash" kernel option. Other systems, no problem. Been brilliantly solid otherwise. I usually go for a bleeding edge rolling release, but because of my fondness for Plasma 5, I think I'll stick around with Kubuntu for a while. 

Yeah, I'm running 5.27.10. IIRC, only Arch/Rolling release has the 6th version. But I could be wrong. As I'm using Sparky (based on Debian Testing Branch)

Used to be Ubuntu just to keep everything in the same ecosystem as my servers, but Ubuntu LTS 24.04 is an absolute ###### show.  Might have to find something good to replace it.

On 11/05/2024 at 13:57, Kelxin said:

Used to be Ubuntu just to keep everything in the same ecosystem as my servers, but Ubuntu LTS 24.04 is an absolute ###### show.  Might have to find something good to replace it.

I always hated Ubuntu. It's just, you know, too simple. You should get into Debian. Rather Stable or Testing.

They freeze stable versions, but still provide security updates.

If you want stablity, that's where it is.

Could try LMDE, too..

I enjoy Xubuntu ( using XFCE-4) for its snappy performance and lightweight build. I have also been toying with KDE Neon 6 (with Plasma 6). Not a bad distro at all.

On 11/05/2024 at 18:29, Max Norris said:

Got a laptop running Kubuntu 24.04 specifically because it's running Plasma 5 and not 6....

See, I'm looking forward to getting Plasma 6. As I'll point out in a moment in response to Barney, I've tried it and I like it. But I'm also ok with things breaking and needing to be fixed. I've always got a failsafe if things go tragically wrong... ;)

On 11/05/2024 at 21:21, Mindovermaster said:

I always hated Ubuntu. It's just, you know, too simple.

I don't know where to start with this argument...

Too simple?!

It's an operating system. It's supposed to be simple. It's supposed to work. And the joy of any Linux distro is that if you want, you can go into the backend and tailor it to how you want it to be.

OOBE Ubuntu is fine for a starter. That's not to say that there isn't more out there, but if all you need is a system Ubuntu will work for you.

On 11/05/2024 at 22:36, Barney T. said:

I enjoy Xubuntu ( using XFCE-4) for its snappy performance and lightweight build. I have also been toying with KDE Neon 6 (with Plasma 6). Not a bad distro at all.

I tried Neon 6 a few weeks back. Fancy looking with Plasma 6, but I kept having issues with terminal commands.

And generally speaking that's the major annoyance for me when it comes to changing distros. Commands.

One distro it's sudo apt-get, another it is dnf, another it's wallapy (ok, that one was made up)...it would be a lot easier to switch between them if everyone could agree on a few key command lines...

Fedora KDE on my main desktop, Mint on an old/slow laptop and Ubuntu on a mini server.

On 11/05/2024 at 20:16, Nick H. said:

And generally speaking that's the major annoyance for me when it comes to changing distros. Commands.

One distro it's sudo apt-get, another it is dnf, another it's wallapy (ok, that one was made up)...it would be a lot easier to switch between them if everyone could agree on a few key command lines...

Well, being a lot of distros based off Debian, yeah, you'll get alot of apt commands. Those different repositories use different coomands. But the file structure stays the same.

On 11/05/2024 at 20:16, Nick H. said:

I don't know where to start with this argument...

Too simple?!

It's an operating system. It's supposed to be simple. It's supposed to work. And the joy of any Linux distro is that if you want, you can go into the backend and tailor it to how you want it to be.

OOBE Ubuntu is fine for a starter. That's not to say that there isn't more out there, but if all you need is a system Ubuntu will work for you.

True, but I started very early in Debian Squeeze. To me, Ubuntu is "not" Debian. Yes, they have the same backbone, but their company, Canonical, put waaay to much into it. To make it look appealing to new users.

Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2024 at 18:16, Nick H. said:

I would advise using aliases for your package management. Setup the basics like: installing, uninstalling, removing, searching, and updating. Also you may find this useful:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Rosetta

• Like 1

I've always used stock Debian for servers and currently I'm using PopOS for anything with a GUI. Like @Kelxin, Ubuntu has become a problematic, time consuming and buggy mess on the hardware I'm using so I abandoned that a couple of years ago.

On 11/05/2024 at 21:16, Nick H. said:

See, I'm looking forward to getting Plasma 6. As I'll point out in a moment in response to Barney, I've tried it and I like it. But I'm also ok with things breaking and needing to be fixed. I've always got a failsafe if things go tragically wrong... ;)

Oh don't get me wrong, 6 is amazing, Just waiting for the addons and such to catch up, never mind a few annoying bugs to be smushed. My main system has 6 running via EndeavourOS; fast, surprisingly light, and damn sexy. (Throw on the Klassy theme 😍)  I like Neon too, buuuut there's the whole old vs new thing, PPAs and the eventual move from 22.04 to 24.04, too messy for my tastes. Personally prefer either a real LTS or rolling, not screwing around with the middle ground. Once Plasma gets to a super stable state I'll likely drop Kubuntu/Plasma 5 again and have EndeavourOS or vanilla Arch on that laptop again. Missing having AUR access on it ugh.

I started using Linux way back with RedHat 7. I've tried most of them (except Gentoo and Arch) and am a big fan of Debian. Unfortunately, even with the stable versions, some updates broke Debian and eventually I migrated to Xubuntu after liking XFCE-4. I would say that whatever distro works for you is the one that you should use. To each his own preference. It is not so much about which is "better" but what suits your needs and what works for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/05/2024 at 11:06, Barney T. said:

I would say that whatever distro works for you is the one that you should use. To each his own preference. It is not so much about which is "better" but what suits your needs and what works for you.

Oh, most definitely! The joy of Linux is being able to work with a distribution that does what you need it to do, and having the ability to go a step further and work on areas that might be lacking so that it can do what you want it to do.

I prefer something that can be set up and running in 5 minutes, and I'll tweak things as I go. Others prefer spending a few hours building their system from the ground up. And there are some "nutjobs" who prefer spending weeks typing the code out themselves. To each their own! :laugh:

On 12/05/2024 at 06:17, Nick H. said:

I prefer something that can be set up and running in 5 minutes, and I'll tweak things as I go. Others prefer spending a few hours building their system from the ground up. And there are some "nutjobs" who prefer spending weeks typing the code out themselves. To each their own! :laugh:

Same, used to like to tinker but now I just want to get it up and running so I can do stuff. I like EndeavourOS for this. Arch itself wasn't too bad. One time a few years back when I had a lot more patience I did a Gentoo install. After that I should have made myself a t-shirt that says "I spent days installing Gentoo and all I got was this lousy Windows install." Next time I'm curious about a source based distro I'm just going to run head-first into a wall instead, save some time.

• Haha 4

On 12/05/2024 at 18:06, Barney T. said:

I started using Linux way back with RedHat 7.

Oh yes Red Hat 7, my first official taste of Linux. Then I tried Mandrake Linux before it became Mandriva. Was an interesting experience, took me a while to realist that it wasn't Windows. :)

My love affair with Linux has been up and down over the years. XFCE was another desktop I really liked when I was using Linux Mint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/05/2024 at 11:57, Kelxin said:

You can one of two things - wait until 24.04.1 comes out in August, or switch to the best distro out there - Fedora 40.

On 11/05/2024 at 14:57, Kelxin said:

Yes, I tried Ubuntu LTS 24.04 and it was miserable. I had so many errors and malfunctions that I erased it quickly. I'm not a Linux noob and this experience was just a disaster. Re-installed my previous version and it runs like a charm.

• Like 2

On 12/05/2024 at 13:02, devHead said:

You can one of two things - wait until 24.04.1 comes out in August, or switch to the best distro out there - Fedora 40.

I digress. RHEL, which Fedora is built on, isn't really "the best". You may call it best, but others won't. "One of the best" would be a better clause.

On 12/05/2024 at 16:53, Mindovermaster said:

I digress. RHEL, which Fedora is built on, isn't really "the best". You may call it best, but others won't. "One of the best" would be a better clause.

True words - of course all opinions of Linux distros are somewhat subjective.  Fedora is one of the best, IMHO.

I use Debian stable for just about everything, though I do add Flatpak/Flathub for more up to date desktop applications, and I'll usually pull in a newer kernel from the backports repo.  The only PCs in the house that doesn't run Debian is our Steam Decks which obviously run SteamOS.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I use Calculate Linux and OpenBSD on my Intel Alder Lake + Radeon RX 7000 desktop.

Calculate Linux is a user-friendly Gentoo with OpenRC as init system. (=very fast startup) It's probably the best Linux distro for AMD/Intel GPU gamers.

It has the latest Mesa version but it is very reliable for a rolling release system.

I use Fedora, and I do packaging work for Fedora. Been on it for 2 years now, and love it! Love how much work gets put into it!

On 21/05/2024 at 08:32, FateTrap said:

I use Calculate Linux and OpenBSD on my Intel Alder Lake + Radeon RX 7000 desktop.

Calculate Linux is a user-friendly Gentoo with OpenRC as init system. (=very fast startup) It's probably the best Linux distro for AMD/Intel GPU gamers.

It has the latest Mesa version but it is very reliable for a rolling release system.

IMO all Linux distros are great with AMD cards.  Being it is written into the kernel. NVIDIA, however, is a nightmare.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 21/05/2024 at 13:34, Mindovermaster said:

IMO all Linux distros are great with AMD cards.  Being it is written into the kernel. NVIDIA, however, is a nightmare.

No joke there. One of my systems had an nVidia RTX 3060Ti. Pretty nice card with Windows, lots of shiny ray tracing effects etc. Total sh-t show with Linux. Throw on Wayland, man that card had me sobbing in the corner trying to get it to work nicely and reliably. Gave that card to my daughter and swapped it out with an AMD RX 6750 XT soon after, smooth sailing from there. It just works.™ I totally get Torvalds' nVidia rants now. 

torvaldsnvidia-640x424.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1