How to check in Windows 10 what is the product key I use?

In the past I have upgraded our computers from Win7 > Win10 or Win8 > Win10.

Whenever I upgraded components in any of these computers I have always used a new product key as it seems that in Windows 10 you can't call and say that you bought a new mobo.

We have four Windows PC's in the house and I just upgraded mobo and cpu in two of those. Now both of those ask for a new product key and I would like to check what was the product key used in each of these computers so I can cross those over on my product key list. I've tried everything, but none of the methods I find do not seem to show the key. cmd/powershell methods show blank key and on the registry there is the default VK7JG....

On 29/12/2023 at 11:23, Joni_78 said:

cmd/powershell methods show blank key and on the registry there is the default VK7JG....

VK7JG is part of the "default" generic key for Windows 10 Pro or Professional edition.
are you really using Win10 Pro or another edition of Win10 (like Win10 Home)?

• Like 1

You can try use Belarc Advisor... or Magical Jellybean... or, if you are signed into those machines with an email address that is paired with microsoft.. then it should be a digital activation.. however, be sure to check your msft account, and make sure that you dont exceed activations. You can delete older devices, or previous installs from the My Devices page.. makes life so much easier... i havent used a product key since this was introduced!

On 30/12/2023 at 01:47, erpster3 said:

VK7JG is part of the "default" generic key for Windows 10 Pro or Professional edition.
are you really using Win10 Pro or another edition of Win10 (like Win10 Home)?

That's whats on the registry on my genuine 10 Pro that is activated with a genuine key. I checked the other PC that isn't activated because of the HW change and it has the same key in registry.

On 30/12/2023 at 17:17, DKAngel said:

might not have a key and would be digital now if using an ms account

Yeah I guess that why. Can I then somehow check on my MS account what the product key is?

On 31/12/2023 at 03:28, Joni_78 said:

Yeah I guess that why. Can I then somehow check on my MS account what the product key is?

there is no product key its a digital license, u just install with no key and sign in on your account and it will auto activate if the licence is valid

i havnt used a windows key since windows 8 i just reinstall sign in with my ms account and it auto activates