Are there any known heat issues with AM5?

I did one ITX build for my son couple of weeks ago in Jonsplus i100. Motherboard was Asus Rog Strix X670E-I Gaming WIFI with Ryzen 7 7800X3D and G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 32Gb with Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black

I was really dissapointed to find out that the motherboard has a fan. Memory etc seems to run quite hot also. Anyway that build has been working fine.

I then saw that AMD seems to have really nice 65W CPU. Ryzen 5 7600 and thought I revive my fanless Streacom DB4 case. It has max TDP 100W for the CPU heatpipes and has been fine with Z270N Wifi and i7-7700K. So I ordered the parts and just finished it yesterday with the same F****** turbine board (I don't know why) and same G.Skill memory than in the previous build. Now when gaming and comparing the temps with i7-7700K setup that has higher TDP these temps don't make any sense. Shouldn't 65W TDP CPU be cooler than 95W? It's running in the 90's (celcius) when gaming.

• Joni_78 changed the title to Are there any known heat issues with AM5?
Posted (edited)

I tried to remove the heatpipe cooling and added the AMD cooler that came with the 7600. CPU temps are now on high 60’s as with the heatpipes it was in low 90’s when gaming.

I just don’t understand how 65W CPU produces more heat than 95W CPU and cooling rated for 100W can’t handle it.

There’s one difference though. I’m now using the integrated GPU because i’m still waiting for my new GPU. With I7-7700K I had a discrete GPU. Would that have difference in CPU temps?

Edited by Joni_78

AMD says 95C is completely safe for the Ryzen 7000 series CPUs. It even says they targeted 90+ C for these chips under full load. https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/ryzen-7000-series-processors-let-s-talk-about-power-temperature/ba-p/554629#:~:text=degrees is safe%2C-,targeted,-%2C and ideal for

Still I would check if the cooler mount is alright and if the case needs some dusting in case it's blocking airflow.

• Like 2

On 06/01/2024 at 22:34, hellowalkman said:

AMD says 95C is completely safe for the Ryzen 7000 series CPUs. It even says they targeted 90+ C for these chips under full load. https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/ryzen-7000-series-processors-let-s-talk-about-power-temperature/ba-p/554629#:~:text=degrees is safe%2C-,targeted,-%2C and ideal for

Still I would check if the cooler mount is alright and if the case needs some dusting in case it's blocking airflow.

But why does 65W CPU produce so much heat compared to 95W CPU?

On 07/01/2024 at 02:19, Joni_78 said:

But why does 65W CPU produce so much heat compared to 95W CPU?

Those TDP figures are mostly meaningless. They only tell us what kind of cooler should be able to cool that chip enough for it to not be an issue, not the actual power consumption.

That said though, is the case side panel getting warm enough when the system is under load? I am wondering coz if it isn't, then perhaps the heat isn't being properly conducted away from the CPU.

On 06/01/2024 at 15:16, hellowalkman said:

Those TDP figures are mostly meaningless. They only tell us what kind of cooler should be able to cool that chip enough for it to not be an issue, not the actual power consumption.

That said though, is the case side panel getting warm enough when the system is under load? I am wondering coz if it isn't, then perhaps the heat isn't being properly conducted away from the CPU.

Yep, if I remember correctly, Intel and AMD have a different equation for TDP?

Either way, I would in the future recommend Ryzen 5000 for ITX, then again, I am biased against Ryzen 7000. You will want to find motherboards without a chipset fan and consider disabling PBO if the high temperatures worry you. Although, for Ryzen 7000, they are the norm.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2024 at 21:59, Suurin_ said:

Yep, if I remember correctly, Intel and AMD have a different equation for TDP?

Either way, I would in the future recommend Ryzen 5000 for ITX, then again, I am biased against Ryzen 7000. You will want to find motherboards without a chipset fan and consider disabling PBO if the high temperatures worry you. Although, for Ryzen 7000, they are the norm.

Yeah that was also what I was wondering. Overclocking seems to be on by default these days like this board had so it might be actually more that 65W just because of that.

Hello,

Would it be possible to add fans to the Streacom DB4 case?  I know you mentioned it is fanless, but if it has mounting points for fan(s) than perhaps adding some to increase the amount of airflow through the case will help.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have not noticed any heat issues with my AM5 build. What case are you using?

My case is a Rosewill Spectra P601 ATX Mid Tower and ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 to cool my Ryzen 7 7700X.

You can see my build in the signature.

On 10/01/2024 at 05:58, goretsky said:

Hello,

Would it be possible to add fans to the Streacom DB4 case?  I know you mentioned it is fanless, but if it has mounting points for fan(s) than perhaps adding some to increase the amount of airflow through the case will help.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Open case ATM. I installed the Wraith Stealth Cooler that came with the CPU just to test this. Still extremely hot. 87C while playing Minecraft (3440x1440, Iris & Sildur's Vibrant shaders Extreme-Volumetric lighting) max 97C in HWMonitor. It's worse than with the heatpipes.

I really don't understand. This CPU seems to create alot more heat compared to the 7800X3D that I bought for my son.

I don't know. Someone above said that the TDP does not tell anything anymore. So if that's true you can't just go to Noctua site and pick a heatsink for your CPU because their specs say that this heatsink is ok for 105W TDP for example.

I'm just so confused because my I7-7700K was 95W and it was alot cooler than this.

I tried to disable EXPO and PBO. Now just browsing and in the background Epic games is downloading games. It's at 75C in on open case with stock cooler.

Might want to re-grease that. I know the Wraith cooler comes with paste on it, but its not the best stuff.

On 13/01/2024 at 03:41, Joni_78 said:

Open case ATM. I installed the Wraith Stealth Cooler that came with the CPU just to test this. Still extremely hot. 87C while playing Minecraft (3440x1440, Iris & Sildur's Vibrant shaders Extreme-Volumetric lighting) max 97C in HWMonitor. It's worse than with the heatpipes.

That's definitely a bit on the hotter side. A couple of possible explanations.

• It could be some contact issue the CPU's IHS (integrated heat spreader) is having such that paste may not be having proper even contact between the IHS and the heatsink.
  • Make sure the motherboard is not pumping too much voltage to the CPU. It's possible it is.  Avg Vcore voltage is around 1.25 for a Ryzen 7600.

Btw, I recommend you switch over to HWinfo64 for monitoring temps and voltage. It's generally more reliable than HWmonitor.