Is it possible to use wired and wireless networking at the same time?

I am really curious about it, can you use the ethernet connection and a wireless connection at the same time on a computer? Is it even practical to even think about doing?

Yes you can...

...but I believe you need to elaborate on what you're trying to do. 

For example...my desktop is on WiFi but I want a direct Ethernet connection to my NAS...how can I do this?

As it stands now...your question is kinda vague.

On 06/01/2024 at 17:26, Jim K said:

Yes you can...

...but I believe you need to elaborate on what you're trying to do. 

For example...my desktop is on WiFi but I want a direct Ethernet connection to my NAS...how can I do this?

As it stands now...your question is kinda vague.

I'm not looking for anything specific, I was more curious about how/if it can be done.

On 06/01/2024 at 17:20, jnelsoninjax said:

I'm not looking for anything specific, I was more curious about how/if it can be done.

AFAIK, it's the same as running 2 nics. You just have to set each up.

Here's how he set up a Raspberry  Pi Router using ethernet and a wireless dongle:

I mean… would both connections be to your router? Or the Ethernet to the router and WiFi to something else like a printer in direct mode?

What are you trying to achieve, because yes it’s absolutely possible but use cases are what defines whether worthwhile.

Yes it can be done, but an established connection will only use one or the other. It can’t use both at the same time without link aggregation afaik and even then, if it’s the same Internet connection, there is no benefit. 

Without an obvious use case, it’s not worth pursuing. I use multiple nics; one is for VMs, one is for the host.