This is random ... You all know anything about garage door tracks?

This house was built in 2003 ... I bought it in 2016.  The weatherstrip was worn out so I went and replaced it ... while doing so I noticed the door was a bit tilted (little higher on the left vs right when shut).  I started to look more closely at the door and tracks and I'm thinking it was installed incorrectly. 

... this isn't right ... is it?

rollerattop.jpg.b42a6687e2f53fa35482fd1e821b1159.jpg

Door at top...note how left roller is a bit extended...vs how they are fairly even when the door is lowered....

bottomroller.jpg.4911ac6e08ef345dcb1a704477434f3b.jpg

Measurement of the distance between the tracks at the bottom...

measureatbottom.jpg.6831ad450548e9d8dbdcfc32c52a5f88.jpg

...vs at the ceiling...

measureattop.jpg.ceca7bf9f1ddf9976eda5045f70713c9.jpg

Seems to be about an inch and a half difference.

I should be able to simply unbolt those two bolts on the left bracket and move it over one circle (with the door lowered obviously)?  Right?

topbracket.jpg.0b138a96decde346742763820081948b.jpg

I think I should be able to ... the only confusion is that I can't believe they installed it incorrectly 20+ years ago and it's just now being noticed (unless the previous owners had some work done...though I'm thinking this is original to the house).

• Jim K changed the title to This is random ... You all know anything about garage door tracks?

My take is that either it was installed incorrectly or the house has settled over the 20+ years and the door is out of alignment. The house settling happened to us and we had a garage door mechanic come by and adjust it. Regardless, I think it's an easy fix.

All I know about garage doors is the springs can carry lethal force and are really dangerous. Be careful when working on them; you may want to have it professionally inspected.

On 14/01/2024 at 13:32, Skyfrog said:

All I know about garage doors is the springs can carry lethal force and are really dangerous. Be careful when working on them; you may want to have it professionally inspected.

Long story short - I had my face rebuilt. If anything has tension, tie it first!

tracks are designed to have give to them, that's why the pins can move in and out on the rollers, but 1 inch seems like a good bit of difference

Seems to be the consensus on Reddit to just leave it alone, that it is fine.  Though I think a inch and a halfish is a bit much... I'll leave it alone.  Don't want to break what isn't broken.

I wouldn't mess with that spring thing either...

It seems to be within design tolerances, and if it works as it should, then probably leave it alone. But unless the entire building is not square, then it was installed half-assed.

I'd wonder who installed the door, and what other work they did.

On 14/01/2024 at 19:34, Jim K said:

Seems to be the consensus on Reddit to just leave it alone, that it is fine.  Though I think a inch and a halfish is a bit much... I'll leave it alone.  Don't want to break what isn't broken.

I was hesitant to say something when I read this thread yesterday, especially considering I know nothing about garage door tracks. But the one thought that ran around my mind was: it's been working for the 7+ years you've been at the house, does it need fixing? If it ain't broke, and all that... ;)

I wouldn't mess about with anything like that as it seems like it's really dangerous. If it bothers you, have a qualified professional look at it.