Factory Reset Old Nortel BayStack 5510-24T Switch

So I got this old 24 port Nortel switch a few years back for free in a pile of old computers and stuff that was given to me by a local school that was getting rid of old equipment.  I sold all the computers for scrap but held onto the switch as one of those "just in case" kinda things.  I never used it myself and just had it on a shelf until earlier today my brother mentioned that he was thinking of buying one to wire up his house, so I gave it to him.

It's working mostly fine, other than it needs new fans, but we've found one or two ports that have some kind of configuration applied to them where devices plugged into them can't talk to other devices.  Some kind of VLAN or port security or something.  I was wondering if anybody knows the method for performing a factory reset on these switches.  I don't have a serial/rollover cable because it's been years since I worked with enterprise equipment, so I was thinking that it may have a CMOS battery inside that might store some of that information, and that perhaps removing that battery would reset it, but I'm not sure.

Anybody got any advice?  I could always pick up a rollover cable if I have to, but all he really needs is for it to act like a 24 port unmanaged switch so he ran run his router into one port and then branch out to the other rooms of his house.

image.thumb.png.53575c4cb8a638793c5868bee37b8956.png

I haven't touched one of these in many years... however, they should have a UI button, and a short google led me to the steps that seem somewhat familiar...

You may need to console back into it after a reset, to setup vlan's etc... by the sounds of it, you may as well just setup a flat vlan config... 

Resetting a stack using the UI button
The following procedure describes the steps to reset the stack using the UI button.
Press and hold the UI button almost three seconds
The unit is now in configuration mode. The color and status of the Status LED turns to blinking green.
Press the UI button three times. The Base, Up, and Down LEDs will move to a blinking amber state and blink in unison.
Press and hold the UI button for three seconds to confirm the command.
Please note that by factory resetting the switch you will loose all configuration settings. It will be as if it just arrived from the “factory”.

On 15/01/2024 at 05:30, Sulphy said:

I haven't touched one of these in many years... however, they should have a UI button, and a short google led me to the steps that seem somewhat familiar...

You may need to console back into it after a reset, to setup vlan's etc... by the sounds of it, you may as well just setup a flat vlan config... 

Resetting a stack using the UI button
The following procedure describes the steps to reset the stack using the UI button.
Press and hold the UI button almost three seconds
The unit is now in configuration mode. The color and status of the Status LED turns to blinking green.
Press the UI button three times. The Base, Up, and Down LEDs will move to a blinking amber state and blink in unison.
Press and hold the UI button for three seconds to confirm the command.
Please note that by factory resetting the switch you will loose all configuration settings. It will be as if it just arrived from the “factory”.

K, thanks, I'll give that a try next time I'm down there, and I'll try to dig out a rollover cable just in case.

• Like 2