Windows 11 icon issue

So I bit the bullet and upgraded to 11 and had no problems, but I have two odd issues. Issue one, on the desktop, some of my shortcuts show this:

Screenshot2024-01-20193548.png.1568a13ba83e81074044476cb450a3bd.png

I have tried to fix it by downloading a registry edit for removing the arrow shortcut from elvenfourms, but that did not correct it.

The second annoyance is Explorer, after a time of using it, when I switch to a different drive, it suddenly zooms in on the left panel, like it zooms 200%, and if I close explorer and then reopen it, the issue fixes itself. Does anybody have any idea as to what is causing my issues?

• Like 1

The explorer issue is a very odd one indeed!!! I cannot say i have ever seen that on an upgrade before... as for the odd icons shortcuts issue... I do remember the reg hack to remove the shortcut icon (never used it again since going to win10 & win11)... could you possibly have inherited dodgy reg changes from win10? Assuming you probably had that running for a while, and possibly customised it alot?

Personally, i would do a full reset, and see if that clears up at least the explorer issue! That would drive me nuts 😛 - at least, if that is on the table / an option for you.... I tend to reset / full format every couple of months or so... jest a personal preference, when playing  around with dev/canary channels!!

Am assuming that you are referring to the hack mentioned in this thread?? - Desktop shortcut icons - Microsoft Community :) 

My personal views of icons on the Desktop notwithstanding, the tweak tool Winaero should be able to take care of this.  I have always used it to remove shortcut arrows from Desktop icons.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2024 at 19:41, jnelsoninjax said:

So I bit the bullet and upgraded to 11 and had no problems, but I have two odd issues. Issue one, on the desktop, some of my shortcuts show this:

Screenshot2024-01-20193548.png.1568a13ba83e81074044476cb450a3bd.png

I have tried to fix it by downloading a registry edit for removing the arrow shortcut from elvenfourms, but that did not correct it.

The second annoyance is Explorer, after a time of using it, when I switch to a different drive, it suddenly zooms in on the left panel, like it zooms 200%, and if I close explorer and then reopen it, the issue fixes itself. Does anybody have any idea as to what is causing my issues?

Because that's on the right and not left, that's likely not the shortcut icon, that's where the OneDrive status icon usually goes.