Problem with the external hard drive

My external hard drive has stopped working. The disc is no longer readable . When I connect the disc to my computer, the system asks me to format it.

There are very important files on the disc.

Does anyone know how to help me?

Try using Acronic True Imagine. See if you can get your stuff back.

On 22/01/2024 at 10:00, Warwagon said:

It may also be a problem with the SATA to USB adapter.

He says he hooked it onto his computer, too..

On 22/01/2024 at 12:32, Mindovermaster said:

He says he hooked it onto his computer, too..

He never said too, he said

"My external hard drive has stopped working. The disc is no longer readable. When I connect the disc to my computer, the system asks me to format it. "

he never implied he removed the drive from the enclosure and hooked it up directly over sata.

No longer readable and asks me to format it, might be the same thing to him.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2024 at 12:34, Warwagon said:

He never said too he said

"My external hard drive has stopped working. The disc is no longer readable. When I connect the disc to my computer, the system asks me to format it. "

he never implied he removed the drive from the enclosure and hooked it up directly over sata.

Guess I read that differently. As he says it wasn't working, but when he hooked it to his computer, it showed up. Very odd..

On 22/01/2024 at 12:37, Mindovermaster said:

Guess I read that differently. As he says it wasn't working, but when he hooked it to his computer, it showed up. Very odd..

Yep, you added a "But" 😁

• Like 1

On 22/01/2024 at 12:38, Warwagon said:

Yep, you added a "But" 😁

image.png.29f88f88443eae98fc432edf740526ed.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 22/01/2024 at 20:34, Warwagon said:

He never said too, he said

No longer readable and asks me to format it, might be the same thing to him.

I took the drive out of the box and connected it directly via the SATA interface.
Now I have the following picture.

1705410656369.png

Well it looks like the data is gone, you will have to try some of the disk recovery options listed in the posts above to see if you can retrieve your important files.

If you can't access them with a program, there are companies that specialize in data retrieval as well, if you need the files that badly.

Also, I'll say it.. next time please make a plan to have multiple backups of what you deem too important to lose. I back up to my local NAS, my NAS backs up to Google Drive and OneDrive. 

• Like 3

On 23/01/2024 at 03:33, Andrew Antalik said:

I took the drive out of the box and connected it directly via the SATA interface.
Now I have the following picture.

1705410656369.png

Great! You took it out of the enclosure. The Good news is it's only 320 GB. I love working with small drives because all the scans go faster.

If I could guess, I'd say that the hard drive probably has some current pending sectors on it. They are probably at the front of the drive and Windows is just giving up, thus not being able to mount the partition.

You can check the drives S.M.A.R.T data by running this program on your computer

https://sourceforge.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/files/9.2.2/CrystalDiskInfo9_2_2.exe/download

If the Crystal disk shows warnings on the current pending sectors and sector relocation count, then I have a tip for you.

One thing I've found over the years with a troubled drive is that while Windows just gives up, and so does a Windows PE, and just shows a drive as raw. True Image 2016 / 2013 when booting from a flash drive on the other hand does not.

If you boot off a True Image from a flash drive (If you can find the ISO you can create a Ventro USB flash drive and just put the ISO on that https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html )  and go to the backup files and folders section, more often than not you will see a directory listing were in windows it would just show up as raw.

If the drive is troubled it may take a few minutes for True Image to even boot to the GUI. Just give it time. It will also freeze when clicking on backup files and folders. Just be patient.

If you get a directory listing simply put checkmarks next to the files and folders you want and backup those files up to a TIB file. Once done just restore the TIB to a spare drive.

• Like 3

I did manage to solve this problem.

First, I managed to make a copy of the damaged drive using Clonezilla.

I came across a video tutorial and bought a tool.  True, it cost me $97.95, but that's nothing compared to taking the disc to a technician. I risked losing my files forever. But I can't afford to pay a lot of money.

The program displayed my RAW drive, which used to be FAT, and started a full scan. It found most of my files and successfully recovered them. Yes, it couldn't recover all the files, but I was lucky: I recovered the most important ones .

And yes, make copies of important files (discs) for the future.

Also, thanks to everyone who tried to help me)

Edited by Jim K
Suspected spam tactic. Removed product link/video.

On 26/01/2024 at 02:58, Andrew Antalik said:

I did manage to solve this problem.

First, I managed to make a copy of the damaged drive using Clonezilla.

I came across a video tutorial and bought a tool.  True, it cost me $97.95, but that's nothing compared to taking the disc to a technician. I risked losing my files forever. But I can't afford to pay a lot of money.

The program displayed my RAW drive, which used to be FAT, and started a full scan. It found most of my files and successfully recovered them. Yes, it couldn't recover all the files, but I was lucky: I recovered the most important ones .

And yes, make copies of important files (discs) for the future.

Also, thanks to everyone who tried to help me)

Glad everything worked out. 

After a community member brought this thread to our attention, I saw this question and solution on various other community forums.  I edited your last post and removed links to the products YouTube video and the products website. 

You're right, $97.95 is fairly expensive...but much cheaper than sending it to a data retrieval company.

Could have perhaps saved $97.95 using a free and open source program like TestDisk (that @Jose_49 suggested) on the cloned drive to see if it could have retrieved your files.

...but hey, you got your files back.  😉

• Thanks 2