Palworld

Yes, it's hit fever pitch. 6 million sales on early access and rising. Anyone played it? I'm currently struggling with getting a server running under a VM, under Proxmox, under Docker. I've tried a few different forks of servers but it's taking some getting sorted by someone who isnt au fait with Docker at all. But hey, it's a good learning experience :)

The game is quite playable, but deffo early access. I bought it via Steam and hope that it wont get cockblocked by Nintendo/The Pokemon Company. It's very 'inspired' up to the point of plaguerism but the gaming loop is pretty fun.

Once I can get my own server up and running I'll take a good crack at it, I've only got a handful of levels and about 30~ pokemon, I mean 'pals'. What do you think?

I'm yet to try it but ppl are going crazy over this, and I kinda understand why. Does look like something fresh.

@Magoo has been enamored by it 😛 lol

On 23/01/2024 at 19:03, hellowalkman said:

I'm yet to try it but ppl are going crazy over this, and I kinda understand why. Does look like something fresh.

Y'see, this is what I don't understand about it. I've seen one or two gameplay videos and what I see is Pokemon+Stardew+mmo dungeons. But I appreciate that my perspective is only from seeing videos and not from experiencing the game.

The graphics look pretty. And I'm always up for a base building idea. And I played the heck out of the original Pokemon games, so all of the ingredients are there for me...

There's got to be something that I'm missing while others are going nuts for it. But for the moment it's not for me.

On 23/01/2024 at 15:58, Nick H. said:

Y'see, this is what I don't understand about it. I've seen one or two gameplay videos and what I see is Pokemon+Stardew+mmo dungeons. But I appreciate that my perspective is only from seeing videos and not from experiencing the game.

The graphics look pretty. And I'm always up for a base building idea. And I played the heck out of the original Pokemon games, so all of the ingredients are there for me...

There's got to be something that I'm missing while others are going nuts for it. But for the moment it's not for me.

like a lot of games of this type; half the fun is just being silly with your friends.

It's basically Pokemon + ARK more than what you mentioned. Has the monster capture mechanics (can even capture other humans) and survival aspects expected of Minecraft/ARK/Forest types. and has various weapons going as far as actual guns, of which your Pals (the pokemon) can even use. It's got a little of everything with lowered morals compared to Nintendo's take, and that seems to be the appeal to it.

Mods are already taking off too and that always brings people in.

Anyone else noticing the modern Zelda designs in the environment?

I think it’s pretty good from what I’ve played so far. It’s deffo still early access, the game has no plot, dungeons are broken, and enemies regularly clip through the scenery and cannot be caught. All to be expected, but I think the bugs need to be patched first, then start looking at fine tuning the content before going in large with any big expansions. It’s already good, but it could be so great!

I also got my private server working under Proxmox. It all became easy once I realised I was trying to use an already allocated IP from another VM. Sigh. Live and learn.