Computer Turns Itself On

My computer turns itself on randomly on different days. It doesn't do it everyday though. When it does turn itself on, it usally does it after it being off for a half hour to an hour, but a lot of the times I don't see it becuase I'm asleep. I would like to know why it happens.

System:

HP Pavillion 543x

AMD XP 2200+ (1.8 GHz)

224 MB of RAM

S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR

Windows XP Home Edition

Mandrake Linux 9.2

Thanks.

it just misses you :)

I would check what I8PP said, you can disconnect your network cable and see.

my brothers laptop does the same..

So does my girlfriends, we will be sleeping and all of sudden it will start itself up and wake me up, it scares the crap out of me when it starts up like at 3:00 in the morning. :ninja:

for the guy with the problem, you could also check to see if someone didnt add startup to the scheduled task. I have heard that it can be done so that your computer can turn itself on. but i am not to sure!

:rolleyes: It's prob. reporting in to Microsoft !

Outside of Wake-up settings in your BIOS, run something like Ad-Aware; check for 'dialers' or other spyware. One sure way to prevent auto-ON: unplug the PC from the wall. :yes:

When you say "off" do you mean standy, hibernation, or just plain off?

I remember my laptop wakes up at night if its in standby, sometimes it wakes up and then actually shuts down completely...

for the guy with the problem, you could also check to see if someone didnt add startup to the scheduled task. I have heard that it can be done so that your computer can turn itself on. but i am not to sure!

how can an operating system run a task when the computer is off :blink:

how can an operating system run a task when the computer is off :blink:

I don't know....the more I thought about it after i posted it I was like WTF did I just say. I read on some thread here at neowin where someone said it could be done.

Go ahead and slap me....what a horrible comment I made :no: