FTP Server?

Hello, i have been trying for days to setup an ftp server. i did one about 15-20 years ago using serv-u and now i can't figure it out for the life of me. i have googled and watched all the videos over the last few days and no luck. i am using my windows surface running windows 11 pro, malwarebytes, panda antivirus and windows defender. i have a orbri RBR50. i forwarded ports on the router side and on the windows firewall side  can't figure out what i am missing. the most progress i had made but recently uninstalled everything was i was able to start filezilla ftp server, then use filezilla ftp to remote from my pc into the folder.  that great and all but the goal is to allow a friend to remote into my computer so he has the ability to get things he needs and i can't figure out the what's blocking the outside access. i tried turning off all 3 of the firewall settings on windows 11 and nothing. i was trying to connect from my phone from 5G not on wifi but nothing.  can someone please help me out with the best easiest method. i used filezilla ftp server with out TLS it worked connecting within the network from my pc into the driver no issues. then i tried to add in TLS and that worked but i still couldn't connect from anything outside of the network.  looking for help as i am frustrated to say the least.

I can think of a few things to suggest trying, however first have you considered using something like Zerotier?

You can essentially create a virtual LAN over the internet using Zerotier.

You'd setup a network up on Zerotier, then install the client on your PC and get your friend to do the same on their PC. You and your friend would then essentially be on the same LAN, however connected over the internet via Zerotier. A bit like a VPN, but without you having to setup a VPN server on your home network.

This would allow your friend to connect to the FTP server without you having to open ports on your router for the whole world to potentially connect to, which would be a lot more secure.

On 03/02/2024 at 16:39, Snake89 said:

going step by step on this site didn't help? https://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-up-an-ftp-server-on-windows-10

if you follow the link at the bottom it shows how to access from an outside network.

I actually did try this setup but same thing was able to talk computer to computer on same network but not from an outside pc.

On 03/02/2024 at 16:05, InsaneNutter said:

I can think of a few things to suggest trying, however first have you considered using something like Zerotier?

You can essentially create a virtual LAN over the internet using Zerotier.

You'd setup a network up on Zerotier, then install the client on your PC and get your friend to do the same on their PC. You and your friend would then essentially be on the same LAN, however connected over the internet via Zerotier. A bit like a VPN, but without you having to setup a VPN server on your home network.

This would allow your friend to connect to the FTP server without you having to open ports on your router for the whole world to potentially connect to, which would be a lot more secure.

Interesting I never heard of this, is it easy to setup? I am out now but will definitely consider this if there is a guide and easy to do, I just need to share access of one folder so he can get what he needs.

FTP is really outdated and insecure now. You may want to consider something more modern like SCP, SFTP or a cloud service like Google Drive to share files.

• Like 2

On 03/02/2024 at 10:30, LilSnoop40 said:

Hello, i have been trying for days to setup an ftp server. i did one about 15-20 years ago using serv-u and now i can't figure it out for the life of me. i have googled and watched all the videos over the last few days and no luck. i am using my windows surface running windows 11 pro, malwarebytes, panda antivirus and windows defender. i have a orbri RBR50. i forwarded ports on the router side and on the windows firewall side  can't figure out what i am missing. the most progress i had made but recently uninstalled everything was i was able to start filezilla ftp server, then use filezilla ftp to remote from my pc into the folder.  that great and all but the goal is to allow a friend to remote into my computer so he has the ability to get things he needs and i can't figure out the what's blocking the outside access. i tried turning off all 3 of the firewall settings on windows 11 and nothing. i was trying to connect from my phone from 5G not on wifi but nothing.  can someone please help me out with the best easiest method. i used filezilla ftp server with out TLS it worked connecting within the network from my pc into the driver no issues. then i tried to add in TLS and that worked but i still couldn't connect from anything outside of the network.  looking for help as i am frustrated to say the least.

Some ISPs block access on common server ports like http, ftp, etc. for consumer/non-business accounts.  Mine doesn't, but some do.  After you've forwarded the ports on your router, fired up the ftp server software and opened the ports in your firewall, try doing a port scan to see if the port is actually accessible from the outside world.

"DNS Checker" has a port scan service you can try out: https://dnschecker.org/port-scanner.php

Another one you can try out is GRC ShieldsUp at: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

If it turns out your ISP is blocking that port, you could try just hosting the service on a non-standard port, like how some private web services run on ports like 8080 or 8001 or something.

On 04/02/2024 at 11:23, Rigby said:

FTP is really outdated and insecure now. You may want to consider something more modern like SCP, SFTP or a cloud service like Google Drive to share files.

This ^, FTPS at a minimum.

https://www.bitvise.com/ or Glftpd if you're running *nix.

On 03/02/2024 at 22:07, LilSnoop40 said:

Interesting I never heard of this, is it easy to setup? I am out now but will definitely consider this if there is a guide and easy to do, I just need to share access of one folder so he can get what he needs.

Yup its very easy to get working, have a look here: Getting Started with ZeroTier and click "Create a network" to essentially see the setup process with screenshots.

I've used it in the past to play some old LAN games over the internet with friends and it worked really well.

You have had a lot of good suggestions in this thread. If you do go the route of exposing something directly to the internet something else to check is do you have a routable IP address, or does your ISP use Carrier-grade NAT?