Moving from AppleTV to FireTV

I currently run AppleTV boxes at home, because at the time of purchase, they offered the things I needed.  However, I have found that Siri is just getting WORSE (as in: not better) and falling behind - this has prompted me to look into, and then appreciate how good Alexa has become.  So will be replacing my HomePods with Echo devices...

And for the TV?  Well:

• FireTV sticks support Apple TV+
  • I don't really view my photos on my TV but I'd just screencast if needs be
  • All the other apps I use have parity on FireTV

But what I cannot find any information on anywhere is this:  Is there an Apple Music app for FireTV?

If anyone knows then I'd love to also know.  Thanks

On 07/02/2024 at 11:53, SnoopZ said:

While not the answer I wanted, that helps exactly as I was expecting.  Alexa the cloud entity plays Apple Music, just that there's no FireTV app interface.  I'll have to consider this, as I currently browse quite a lot using my AppleTV devices.  Thanks

I'm in the US, but i went ahead and looked at the fire tv appstore anyway. there's no apple music app.

a google search shows that you'd need some 3rd party app that could somehow link the two together. probably not worth the hassle.

• Like 1

not to steer you in another direction but I'd almost recommend going pure Android TV with either an Nvidia Shield Pro or oddly enough Walmart's oon box.

I was recently researching and found out the oon box is one of the better offerings right now for an affordable price.

I bring this alternate option up for a couple reasons

• Amazon is moving away from Android soon so some apps may not transition and sideloading will be lost
  • Alexa is also falling behind IMO
    • Google Assist is quite a ways ahead of Alexa at this point and should improve even more once Bard gets integrated.
  • Like 1

On 07/02/2024 at 22:31, Brandon H said:

Amazon is moving away from Android soon

To what?

Alexa is also falling behind IMO

I've been really impressed.  Admittedly, coming from Siri, that's not hard to do ;)

Google Assist is quite a ways ahead of Alexa

I find it utterly unusable, too many things it doesn't integrate well with also.

The biggest disadvantage firetv has is the launcher is utter garbage and riddled with adverts.

There is currently an exploit for 3rd gen cube's that allows you to use a custom launcher and disable updates for the life of the device.

https://xdaforums.com/t/temp-root-bootless-magisk-firetv-3rd-gen-cube-gazelle-ps7613.4574609/

The cube's have a built in echo dot which is handy and the extra cpu\storage lets them run adguard https://adguard.com/en/blog/adguard-for-android-tv.html which kills adverts not only in the browser but any app you sideload.

Android tv would be nice but the hardware is utter garbage outside of NVidia's devices which are half a decade old at this point.

• Like 1

If you can go online via web browser on that stick of yours. then Apple's Apple Music website might be the one thing to help

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 10:36, allannyholm said:

Apple's Apple Music website

Damn man, I had totally neglected that they have a web interface! Ta

• Like 1

On 07/02/2024 at 16:59, Dick Montage said:

To what?

They're moving to their own fully proprietary OS

https://www.androidpolice.com/amazon-getting-ready-ditch-android-fire-hardware/

They've already moved the latest generation of Echo Shows and they plan to do the same to the rest of their Fire OS devices too.

On 07/02/2024 at 16:59, Dick Montage said:

I find it utterly unusable, too many things it doesn't integrate well with also.

When was the last time you tinkered with it? They did a major refresh of Google Home last year and it's a lot more fluid to use now for both voice commands, and the Google Home app. Integration has improved too with a lot of products.

edit: heck, I'd wager integration is MORE stable than with Alexa. Seems like most skills for Alexa integration have low ratings due to inconsistent/unreliable connectivity. I don't seem to have nearly as much issue with integration functionality dropouts on Google as I did with Amazon.

On 08/02/2024 at 01:35, jamietn said:

The biggest disadvantage firetv has is the launcher is utter garbage and riddled with adverts.

The worst part IMO, and what caused me to switch away again recently to the Walmart Onn, is the fact that the adverts auto play with audio now every time you turn on the Fire TV. Is annoying.

• Like 2

On 08/02/2024 at 14:08, Brandon H said:

They're moving to their own fully proprietary OS

https://www.androidpolice.com/amazon-getting-ready-ditch-android-fire-hardware/

They've already moved the latest generation of Echo Shows and they plan to do the same to the rest of their Fire OS devices too.

Interesting.  I deployed an EchoShow15 for my mum last week - really nice device

On 08/02/2024 at 14:08, Brandon H said:

When was the last time you tinkered with it?

Late December.  Moreover, I spent 2 hours trying to get Ring to work with it, and it just wouldn't.