how can I execute a reg file via bat cmd or power without any dialog confirmation ?

Hi

I have exported from registry a reg file , and i would like to run it without dialog confirmation and mouse

is there a way to run this reg file with a bat file cmd or power without any dialog confirmation?

thanks

From a brief search to verify... I believe that you can do it by using the "/s" flag (without the quotes... ie: 

regedit.exe /s "registrysetting.reg"

You don't "run" a reg file, you import it - using regedit.exe - the only reason double-clicking it works is because the file association is there to import it using regedit.exe

So as noted above, you can call the regedit executable with the correct arguments to import it.

PowerShell ftw...

Fill in the variables, save as <filename>.ps1

$RegistryPath = ""
$Name = ""
$Value = ""
$PropertyType = ""
if (!(Test-Path $RegistryPath)) {
    New-Item -Path $RegistryPath -Force | Out-Null
    New-ItemProperty -Path $RegistryPath -Name $Name -Value $Value -PropertyType $PropertyType -Force
}
else {
    New-ItemProperty -Path $RegistryPath -Name $Name -Value $Value -PropertyType $PropertyType -Force
}

reg import nameoffile.reg

You should be able to drop this in a powershell script (.ps1) without any hassle. It does not prompt for confirmation, but I believe it must be run with either elevated permissions or a user that has write access to the registry.

Details can be found here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/reg-import

Edited by satukoro
clarified required permissions

On 08/02/2024 at 10:40, Sulphy said:

From a brief search to verify... I believe that you can do it by using the "/s" flag (without the quotes... ie: 

regedit.exe /s "registrysetting.reg"

Hi

thanks it works perfectly without any confirmation

On 08/02/2024 at 14:24, satukoro said:
reg import nameoffile.reg

You should be able to drop this in a powershell script (.ps1) without any hassle. It does not prompt for confirmation, but I believe it must be run with either elevated permissions or a user that has write access to the registry.

Details can be found here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/reg-import

hi

i have only to save as start.ps1 and without the "c:\documents\test.reg" ?

thanks

On 08/02/2024 at 12:54, binaryzero said:

PowerShell ftw...

Fill in the variables, save as <filename>.ps1

$RegistryPath = ""
$Name = ""
$Value = ""
$PropertyType = ""
if (!(Test-Path $RegistryPath)) {
    New-Item -Path $RegistryPath -Force | Out-Null
}
else {
}

hi

may i know which are the variables ? I should only add the location file

thanks

On 09/02/2024 at 09:19, drugo said:

i have only to save as start.ps1 and without the "c:\documents\test.reg" ?

thanks

It depends on how you are trying to execute this command. If you are trying to simply import the .reg file on a schedule, like with a scheduled task, you could configure the scheduled task with powershell.exe in the "program" field and the following into the "arguments" field:

-command "reg import c:\path\to\reg\file.reg"

Alternatively, if you wanted to create a .ps1 powershell script to execute this command as needed, you would create and blank .ps1 file in a text editor and add the following line:

reg import "c:\path\to\reg\file.reg"

*Note: quotes are only required if your file path has spaces in it

*Note 2: If you are not running signed powershell scripts you will need to bypass or set your executionpolicy. This can be done by running a command in an administrative powershell window, however I will let you decide if you want to pursue that route.

On 09/02/2024 at 16:36, Ahazuarus said:

not sure why no one is recommending this?  Just a simple converter utility (linked below) that gives a couple of different ways to do it.

https://www.sordum.org/8478/reg-converter-v1-2/

Hi

seems a nice program

thanks

On 09/02/2024 at 17:53, satukoro said:

It depends on how you are trying to execute this command. If you are trying to simply import the .reg file on a schedule, like with a scheduled task, you could configure the scheduled task with powershell.exe in the "program" field and the following into the "arguments" field:

-command "reg import c:\path\to\reg\file.reg"

Alternatively, if you wanted to create a .ps1 powershell script to execute this command as needed, you would create and blank .ps1 file in a text editor and add the following line:

reg import "c:\path\to\reg\file.reg"

*Note: quotes are only required if your file path has spaces in it

*Note 2: If you are not running signed powershell scripts you will need to bypass or set your executionpolicy. This can be done by running a command in an administrative powershell window, however I will let you decide if you want to pursue that route.

hi

important are note 1 and 2!

thanks

On 09/02/2024 at 18:28, strotee said:
powershell -c "saps -FilePath $env:windir\regedit.exe -Argumentlist @('/s', 'path_to_your_reg_file.reg')"

Hi

another great powershell command line , i guess i should learn powershell

thanks

On 09/02/2024 at 19:33, ThePhoenix said:

I just tend to use this, as we had to find a way to execute reg files a few years back for intune only devices.

https://reg2ps.azurewebsites.net/

Hi

what a cool link , maybe there is even reg to bat

thanks

Yes, you should learn PowerShell. The reg2ps site literally gives you the code to save into a PowerShell file (ps1) and run it. Or even use the code I provided works.

This thread has given you the answer to the question you initially asked.

You can execute a .reg file without any confirmation dialogs by using the regedit /s command in a batch file or PowerShell script, ensuring smooth execution of registry changes.