APC Smart-UPS 1500 problems

My roommate was using this APC Smart-UPS 1500 for years, replaced the battery on it, but since he did not pay for the subscription service from APC past his first year of use, he can no longer interface with the device and tell it that he has replaced the battery, it currently displays a message about the battery being low, despite being a brand-new battery. Last night he was using his computer and the whole system just powered down and is no longer providing any power output, but the battery says it has a runtime of 999 mins or something in that range. I tried to plug the UPS into my system and interface with it via the Power Chute software, but it is not being detected, it does detect my SMART UPS 1000 which is not a network addressable UPS. I found the user manual, but it is worthless, all I can get out of it is to register an account with smartconnect.apc.com, however I can not register it as the QR code and the ID numbers have worn off the label. He has an account, but does not want to have to pay the $30 or so just to tell it that he changed the battery. Does anybody have any experience with this brand/model of UPS and know of a method to bypass it?

Hello,

Have you tried turning the unit off, unplugging everything from the UPS, turning it off/on/off, unplugging the UPS' AC line cord, opening it and disconnecting the battery, waiting a few minutes, reconnecting the battery, plugging the AC line cord back in, turning it back on, and then plugging everything back into the UPS?  If so, did that make any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 18:20, goretsky said:

Hello,

Have you tried turning the unit off, unplugging everything from the UPS, turning it off/on/off, unplugging the UPS' AC line cord, opening it and disconnecting the battery, waiting a few minutes, reconnecting the battery, plugging the AC line cord back in, turning it back on, and then plugging everything back into the UPS?  If so, did that make any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Oddly, I was able to turn it off via its front panel button and when I turned it back on and plugged in a cell phone to test, it suddenly started charging it, which indicates that it is putting power out. I will play with it a bit more and maybe add something with a bit of a load to it and see what happens.