Scored a Brother DCP-9020CDW LED printer and full toners for €60

image.jpeg

Here are the specs: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/335807/brother-dcp-9020cdw/specificaties/

As you may have seen, I ended my subscription with HP Instant Ink after their 50% price hike, so from Feb 14 I was no longer able to print anything.

I almost went for a new B&W AIO costing around €200 https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1993734/brother-dcp-l2660dw.html but I figured why not look online if there are any color ones going for a nice price. The one I found is in mint condition, not a scratch on it. It has printed off 12,000 pages, so the fuser will still be good (they go up to 100K pages) and it included full toners, Magenta and 2x Black and 1x Cyan are brand new.

Installed are full Yellow and Cyan and Black is down to about 15%

image.jpeg

So the bad news.

It has two streaks that appear in prints (this is why he got rid of it)

image.jpeg

They are barely noticeable, but I will look into if I can clean it or something because that's what I suspect just needs doing.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Great you found a sweet deal :) 

I have a HP Lazer Jet Pro MFP M130nw

Only monochrome, but I don't use it for pictures often. If at all. Have a Cannon downstairs if you need color. Cannon doesn't work well with Linux. Yes, they have drivers, but it gets confused often, drops the connection and other things.

Also have a cheap Brother in the office room, but while they do jhave Linux drivers, it still won't pick it up..

I always liked HP. But as you said, yeah, their Ink hype scares me.

• Like 2

you sure its just not the toner cart, I have a brother 3170CDW and I was getting streaks.. Cheap carts I think, I replaced them with some other cheap ones they were getting low anyway and printing fine now..  I don't print all that much, but when I do - sure don't want streaks hehehe.

Cleaning them isn't that hard either.. I would of thought he would of tried that though before getting rid of it?

You sure the fuser doesn't last longer than 100k, Just looked on mine and show

48230 pages (% of Life Remaining) (97.00%)

Thats likely damage on the drum unit causing the streaking (I used to work with industrial SATO printers).

I have a Brother DCP-L2550DW and love it, bought a cheap cart from Amazon, just needed to transfer over the chip to the cart and all was good.  Online on my 3rd toner for the lifetime of the printer and got the printer about 10~ years ago.

Might look at getting a colour laser printer sometime this year.

On 19/02/2024 at 23:04, BudMan said:

you sure its just not the toner cart?

Do you mean the toner cartridge, or the thing that it is inserted into?

I don't mind removing them all to clean it, but I have no experience with toner, will it explode everywhere like you see in films? 25 years ago I replaced toner in HP business laser printers, but the toner was always empty and then I put a fresh one in. I vaguely remember powder residue on removing the old toner cartridge, but maybe I am misremembering. I planned to look up a video on cleaning the inside of that specific printer on YouTube.

The guy I bought it from was a work from home old guy who looked like he was in his 70s, I didn't ask, but I got the impression he didn't care to fix it himself.

On 19/02/2024 at 23:04, BudMan said:

You sure the fuser doesn't last longer than 100k, Just looked on mine and show

48230 pages (% of Life Remaining) (97.00%)

Oh I looked it up and the search result said 100,000 pages https://www.google.com/search?q=how+long+does+a+fuser+last+in+a+brother+printer&oq=how+long+does+a+fuser

On 19/02/2024 at 17:24, Steven P. said:

Do you mean the toner cartridge, or the thing that it is inserted into?

I don't mind removing them all to clean it, but I have no experience with toner, will it explode everywhere like you see in films? 25 years ago I replaced toner in HP business laser printers, but the toner was always empty and then I put a fresh one in. I vaguely remember powder residue on removing the old toner cartridge, but maybe I am misremembering. I planned to look up a video on cleaning the inside of that specific printer on YouTube.

The guy I bought it from was a work from home old guy who looked like he was in his 70s, I didn't ask, but I got the impression he didn't care to fix it himself.

He means the drum assembly, the thing the toner cart goes into.

No, you won't get toner everywhere (unless the shutter is stuck open, then, you'll have a bad day...)

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=dcp9020cdw_eu&ftype3=2046&faqid=faq00002256_017#:~:text=DO NOT clean the surface,accidentally spill or scatter toner.

On 19/02/2024 at 23:27, Matthew S. said:

He means the drum assembly, the thing the toner cart goes into.

No, you won't get toner everywhere (unless the shutter is stuck open, then, you'll have a bad day...)

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=dcp9020cdw_eu&ftype3=2046&faqid=faq00002256_017#:~:text=DO NOT clean the surface,accidentally spill or scatter toner.

Cheers man, I will give that a go tomorrow.

• Like 1

Any time.  Now if it does explode on you, you be sure to send us an aftermath selfie :D 

Gotta christen you somehow :p

I had streaks for a while on my BW canon. It was just that particular after-market toner I purchased. Once I switched companies the streaks went away.

On 19/02/2024 at 20:47, Warwagon said:

I had streaks for a while on my BW canon. It was just that particular after-market toner I purchased. Once I switched companies the streaks went away.

I had the same thing on a brother BW laser I had. It was a brand new toner too. 

I got a Brother MFC-9330CDW Color Laser Printer in perfect working condition for FREE, This couple with a home office  sold their house and closed their office down,  the printer belonged to the company they worked for, the company didn't want to pay the cost of shipping the printer back to head office, so they told them to dispose of the printer, so the couple posted an ad on FB marketplace Free for pickup, I already had a brand new MFC9130CDW color laser, so i thought at worst i could use this for parts or for Toner, but it has more features than my 9130 so i use it instead, be going on almost 5yrs and this printer works great, I still have my 9130 I'll keep. The belt is going to be needing replacing on the 9330 soon.

The Magenta drum needed cleaning but that did not fix the two streaks in the page. I also did all four corona wires of the drums. Starting to think it might be the fuser :(