Change NS3702-24P-4S IP address

So I happened to be given a NS3702-24P-4S, which I am excited to use to give my unifi AP's POE instead of using the POE injectors like I do now.

I don't care to set it up as a fully managed switch (I still have a bunch to learn first), but the first thing I do want to do is change the default IP address.

Right now it's set to 192.168.0.100, but I'd like to change it to 10.4.27.19

I see instructions all over about using a serial cable to connect to the console to change it. However, I don't have one, and I'd prefer not having to buy one for this one thing.

I'm able to force my computer IP and hard wire directly to it to get to the web interface no problem.

I see in the web interface where you edit the VLANs, but whenever I try to edit the one to change it's IP (it even has it hard coded as 192.168.0.100 in there), as soon as I hit save, I get disconnected (as expected), however when I try to change my local IP to reconnect to it, I can't. I can also see in the unfi controller that it just shows it as offline at that point.  I have to reset it to get back in.

Is it possible to change without that cable?

The quick start manual is here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/805010/Interlogix-Ns3702-24p-4s.html

The full manual is here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/810917/Interlogix-Ns3702-24p-4s.html

Thanks so much!

That manual should tell you how to do that. IIRC, you don't need a serial port to fix that.

@BudMan?

• DeathLace changed the title to Change NS3702-24P-4S IP address

yeah looks like you can just change it via the web gui..

change.jpg.1f1c0f8cda5c45c3cf031a22dfc84aa6.jpg

On 25/02/2024 at 10:58, BudMan said:

yeah looks like you can just change it via the web gui..

change.jpg.1f1c0f8cda5c45c3cf031a22dfc84aa6.jpg

So when I did this, I immediately got dc'ed from it (expected), and was unable to reconnect (changed my IP back to normal), and unifi controller never showed it connected.

Any ideas?

Also, if I bought something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/COOSO-Serial-Female-Ethernet-Console/dp/B01MCVC81A?th=1

To plug in to it via my macbook pro, would that work? Everywhere on there they mention from the router to your serial port on your computer, but was wondering if it would work the opposite way? (or a RS232 to USB cable is an option too - https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Chipset-CableCreation-Converter-Windows/dp/B0769DVQM1/).

On 25/02/2024 at 10:27, DeathLace said:

Any ideas?

yeah add your IP as second one, then use it to connect in and delete the original one.

On 25/02/2024 at 22:50, BudMan said:

yeah add your IP as second one, then use it to connect in and delete the original one.

Doesn't seem to work unfortunately....

I tried adding 10.4.27.19 (the IP I want it to be), setting it to VLAN2, and setting mine to 10.4.27.18 and it not working...

I then tried to make it 10.4.27.18 (the IP i'd use just to see), and made that mine, and couldn't connect.

In both cases I assigned port 2 to VLAN1 (the original IP - 192.168.0.100) and port 2 to VLAN2 (the IP I tried to add - 10.4.27.18 and 10.4.27.19).

I was always able to connect back on port 2 (when I set my IP to 192.168.0.10 and connecting to 192.168.0.100), but never able to connect on port 4 (using 10.4.27.18 IP and connecting to 10.4.27.19)

The USB -> serial cable should arrive in the next couple hours, so praying that just works and I'm done with it.

Unless you know why it's not working.  This is why I still need to learn about managed switches and VLANs, but for now I just need the POE.

Well after a ton of back and forth, I managed to do it. I had to enable the second VLAN before I hit apply on the other page.

So I'm good now, thanks again @BudMan and @Mindovermaster.

Now I have to figure out why my POE camera isn't working on it (does on another POE dumb switch I have).

On 26/02/2024 at 19:21, DeathLace said:

Now I have to figure out why my POE camera isn't working on it (does on another POE dumb switch I have).

I think on a smart switch, you have to set that up manually. On a dumb switch, I just adds it automatically.

Yeah for sure you going to have enable it, and most likely set at or af mode, and most likely set how much power it can draw, etc.

On 27/02/2024 at 02:59, BudMan said:

Yeah for sure you going to have enable it, and most likely set at or af mode, and most likely set how much power it can draw, etc.

Looks pretty straight forward... it's plugged in to port 12, which is on, and is set to the proper mode (Reolink RLC-510A camera).

Nothing :(.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 9.24.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 9.24.25 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 9.24.47 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 9.24.56 PM.png

This is beyond me, but did you set it to a certain IP? or VLAN?

On 27/02/2024 at 22:58, Mindovermaster said:

This is beyond me, but did you set it to a certain IP? or VLAN?

My UniFi controller assigned another item an IP through DHCP they I plugged in to test.  A non POE item.

so the port works and does everything, but POE. :(

so close.

On 28/02/2024 at 17:36, DeathLace said:

My UniFi controller assigned another item an IP through DHCP they I plugged in to test.  A non POE item.

so the port works and does everything, but POE. :(

so close.

If the camera is non-POE, why do you think POE would work?

On 28/02/2024 at 20:18, Mindovermaster said:

If the camera is non-POE, why do you think POE would work?

the camera is POE (works with the dumb POE switch), I just mean I plugged my laptop in to the same port to make sure I could confirm the port works and connects to the proper VLAN and what not. :)

What kind of camera is it? I know Ubiquiti had a fling with non-standard POE there for a bit. Is the dumb switch and new device providing the same type? My Unifi switch can choose between POE+ and 24V Passive.

Yeah they do have some camera's that if you use poe, you kind of needed their switch that supported their what I would consider non standard..

People think you can just plug any ole poe into anything that has says poe on it.. that is not really the case there are multiple standards, poe, poe+ poe++ also called af or at or bt which has type 3 and 4..

Not knowing what camera your using and what poe it is, and no experience with that switch - but simple look at the manual and what you posted I would assume you might have to specific set what poe you want it to use at, af etc..

On 29/02/2024 at 10:00, BudMan said:

Yeah they do have some camera's that if you use poe, you kind of needed their switch that supported their what I would consider non standard..

People think you can just plug any ole poe into anything that has says poe on it.. that is not really the case there are multiple standards, poe, poe+ poe++ also called af or at or bt which has type 3 and 4..

Not knowing what camera your using and what poe it is, and no experience with that switch - but simple look at the manual and what you posted I would assume you might have to specific set what poe you want it to use at, af etc..

@adrynalyne

I'm using a Reolink RLC-510A which uses the the af standard.

https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/900000592726-Which-PoE-Injector-Switch-Can-I-Use-for-Reolink-PoE-Cameras/

In my screenshot you can see I set port 12 to the af standard.  Even when I switched them all from at to af it didn't work.

did you try another port - maybe poe isn't working on that port.. Or maybe its poe is dead completely?

On 29/02/2024 at 10:56, BudMan said:

did you try another port - maybe poe isn't working on that port.. Or maybe its poe is dead completely?

tried them all... think I'm going to give up on it :(

so you were given this older switch right - maybe the reason they were getting rid of it was poe was broken ..

You mentioned you wanted to use it for AP.. Are they working and just camera is not?

On 29/02/2024 at 12:31, BudMan said:

so you were given this older switch right - maybe the reason they were getting rid of it was poe was broken ..

You mentioned you wanted to use it for AP.. Are they working and just camera is not?

no for APs. They're unifi APs, but only 1 is the old 24V POE, the rest all work with the dumb switch.

It was a friend who gave it to me. They were under the impression there were no issues. I didn't pay for it, so I didn't get screwed or anything. It was being used at a university until a few months ago.

All good, i found a dumb POE one for super cheap, and will just use that for now. Didn't have the $ to go for a managed one, but needed the POE capabilities and wanted to also remove all of my POE injectors for my APs. I have 1 left, but just ordered their converter online so I'll be able to remove it soon.

Now it's time for me to setup my 3 cameras :).

Could it be that the switch that you got is older than your camera?

On 29/02/2024 at 16:53, Mindovermaster said:

Could it be that the switch that you got is older than your camera?

Definitely possible... but POE should work if it's the right spec, no? Even the APs didn't power on it.  The dumb switch powered 4/5 of my APs and all 3 cameras no problem.  The 5th AP I need the unifi adapter to convert back to 24V, which just arrived.  Under 12 hours straight from ubiquiti, which is amazing.

Did you try asking Ubiquiti about this? They should know their own products. They can help better than we can.