Soundbar query

Hi,
Please move this if this isn't the correct place to ask this.

I've just hooked up a Samsung Q60c soundbar to my PC via the HDMI out of my Nvidia Graphics card.
While the soundbar works great on titles that support Dolby Atmos (the reason I purchased it) I can only get multi-channel PCM audio on everything else, E.G games that do not support Atmos and desktop.
Looking at the soundbar audio properties in Windows, it supports standard Dolby Audio and DTS, so is there any way that I can get Windows to default to one of these instead?
Even if I download Dolby Atmos demo files to play on the PC, PCM audio is still used.
Unfortunately, I have a KF variant of an Intel i7 CPU, so I don't think I can use the Motherboard's HDMI output.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On 03/03/2024 at 23:02, Circaflex said:

You need to write a small script that will check at startup for you:

Unfortunately, this key does not exist in Windows 11.

Have you tried downloading the Dolby Access software from the Microsoft Store? There's a free trial period and someone said you don't have to pay the $15US fee if you're not using headphones. When its installed you'll see a Dolby Atmos option in the Control Panel Sound Configuration menu. If you try that it may solve your problems.

On 04/03/2024 at 21:17, dwd999 said:

Have you tried downloading the Dolby Access software from the Microsoft Store? There's a free trial period and someone said you don't have to pay the $15US fee if you're not using headphones. When its installed you'll see a Dolby Atmos option in the Control Panel Sound Configuration menu. If you try that it may solve your problems.

Yeah I have that installed and it seems to be happy with my setup.
I have set Dolby Atmos in sound options but it just doesn't carry over to anything other than supported games.
Standard Dolby Audio nor DTS will not work on games or standard desktop.

Maybe its a problem with your GPU sound driver. When I use Dolby Access everything is converted to Atmos; there's a little OLED panel on the front bottom edge of my Sennheiser Ambeo Max soundbar which lights up and tells me the format of everything played and it always says Atmos even for PCM internet browser radio streams. But I use the standard Windows built-in sound driver; since my motherboard has a ALC4080 sound chip it uses the standard Intel HD Audio driver for usb audio. You may have to try different audio output settings. IIRC when I first started using Access I found that it worked best when all my apps were set to output as PCM with Dolby and DTS output turned off in the apps which Access then converted to Atmos.