Can we use IPv6 DNS resolvers yet?

Sorry if I'm not quite phrasing it right, but My router and my PCs have been using IPv4 for everything forever...  Fios relatively recently enabled IPv6 support, and my router is usually running in dual mode, so I have  ipv4 and v6 addresses at times...  My question is twofold really.  

1. When my IPv6 connection is active, does it use ipv6 DNS resolvers?  Or is there some sort of bridge to ipv4?  
and 2. anyone know if (relatively) modern fios routers can be set up to use custom IPv6 DNS servers?  Which is to say, non-ISP provided servers?  If so, How do I do this?

Thanks.

Edited by The Rev

I think only high end ones do IP6 signaling. I'm not 100% sure here. Bit beyond my comprehension.

@BudMan,  you know anything more on this?

On 11/03/2024 at 13:50, The Rev said:

Sorry if I'm not quite phrasing it right, but My router and my PCs have been using IPv4 for everything forever...  Fios relatively recently enabled IPv6 support, and my router is usually running in dual mode, so I have  ipv4 and v6 addresses at times...  My question is twofold really.  

1. When my IPv6 connection is active, does it use ipv6 DNS resolvers?  Or is there some sort of bridge to ipv4?  
and 2. anyone know if (relatively) modern fios routers can be set up to use custom IPv6 DNS servers?  Which is to say, non-ISP provided servers?  If so, How do I do this?

Thanks.

Very simply: 

When your device looks up DNS.  It will look up the NS of the domain you are looking for.  If there is a DNS server defined using IPv6 it can use that address to do the lookup.  it will by default look up A records:  an A record will return an ipv4  address while an AAAA  (if it exists) record will return an IPv6 address

how your device chooses to use that information I cant really answer for you, but I hope it helps you understand a little better.

On 10/03/2024 at 17:50, The Rev said:

anyone know if (relatively) modern fios routers can be set up to use custom IPv6 DNS servers?  Which is to say, non-ISP provided servers?  If so, How do I do this?

Windows 10/11 can be configured to use IPv6 DNS routers -- I use Cloudflare as an example.

Set up 1.1.1.1 on Windows · Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 docs

That doc covers the IPv4 and IPv6 setups.  Highly recommend...

EDIT:  So I realize you asked about the routers.  I dislike that some internet provided routers disallow DNS editing so they can obviously harvest your lookups (for example, comcast/xfinity), however you can always configure your clients to bypass it... it's annoying, but not horrible to just manually configure clients.

On 11/03/2024 at 00:50, The Rev said:

Thanks.

As others have said yes it absolutely should use the Ipv6 resolvers provided you've specified them in the settings (otherwise it should default to the ipv6 DNS provided by your ISP), you can find out for certain by going to https://ipv6-test.com/

If you have IPv6 then for sure you can use IPv6 to talk to dns that has IPv6 address.. But it doesn't really matter in the big picture, you can look up AAAA records via dns server that only has IPv4.. And you can lookup just A records (IPv4) via servers you talk to via IPv6.

• Like 2