2.5G Network upgrade

Yesterday I converted a portion of the network in my house to 2.5G Ethernet. I connected the 2.5G 24 port switch to my main switch over fiber! I purchased an 8 port 2.5g switch to replace my main switch 2 weeks ago. It's in the same room as my x86 router. Fiber is more affordable than I thought. A 98-foot fiber cable is only $26.

image.thumb.png.ed6218248f1c6f686995b750d8b9fa73.png

You have to put what is called an SFP+ connector (SFP+ for 10G non + (SFP) for 1GB) on each end and those are $64 for 4 of them.

I was impressed by how simple the fiber was, just plug and play! Realistically I didn’t have to use fiber, but I’ve never used it before and thought why not? Plus it future-proofs me.

One nice thing about fiber is, that it’s not conductive (lightning-proof), and is not prone to electrical interference. So to connect both boxes I thought "Let's use fiber!"

It could just be placibo, but the internet on my couch computer does feel a tiny bit more responsive. It’s possible the old ethernet cable that got replaced with fiber in some way was introducing a tiny bit of latency.

While I was at it I swapped out the motherboard for my file server. The file server was using a Pentium j3710. It did burn low watts (6.5) but was slow. So I put the motherboard in it from my old couch computer. Soooooooo much faster, plus I have enough sata ports so I don't have to use a sata adding card.

Such a sexy case.

image.jpeg

Old motherboard 

image.jpeg

New Motherboard (used)

image.jpeg

• +Warwagon changed the title to 2.5G Network upgrade

Very nice, what band is the switch you used? I'm on the cusp of needing to upgrade my internal network to keep up with my internet connection and am currently utilising all but one of the 2.5Gbps ports I have available. I've found 2.5Gbe kit to be disproportionately expensive, there's also the fun that low powered network devices don't have enough CPU grunt or storage speed to actually keep up.

On 18/03/2024 at 03:38, Ixion said:

Very nice, what band is the switch you used? I'm on the cusp of needing to upgrade my internal network to keep up with my internet connection and am currently utilising all but one of the 2.5Gbps ports I have available. I've found 2.5Gbe kit to be disproportionately expensive, there's also the fun that low powered network devices don't have enough CPU grunt or storage speed to actually keep up.

This is the 24 port switch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CMCWSFTN?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

This is the 8-port switch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C8HB5PT7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details1

This was the fiber

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BZB6YX5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

and this was the SFP connectors

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1H1Z2F?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Thanks, I've used Fibre connectors a lot at work as a network admin, just for clarity for others SFP+ is the 10Gbit version (which you bought) whereas SFP is 1Gbit over fibre, you've got me thinking I should run fibre uplinks at home now though and I don't even have a genuine usecase for it!

On 18/03/2024 at 08:08, Ixion said:

I don't even have a genuine usecase for it!

Sure you do. Just call it network protection from lightning strikes! At least the strike won't travel up the uplink. 🤣

Plus it gets rid of any electrical interference (if there is any), in the uplink at least.

SFP+ is the 10Gbit version (which you bought) whereas SFP is 1Gbit over fibre,

Yes my bad, let me fix that.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2024 at 12:42, Warwagon said:
Yesterday I converted a portion of the network in my house to 2.5G Ethernet. I connected the 2.5G 24 port switch to my main switch over fiber! I purchased an 8 port 2.5g switch to replace my main switch 2 weeks ago. It's in the same room as my x86 router. Fiber is more affordable than I thought. A 98-foot fiber cable is only $26.

image.thumb.png.ed6218248f1c6f686995b750d8b9fa73.png

You have to put what is called an SFP+ connector (SFP+ for 10G non + (SFP) for 1GB) on each end and those are $64 for 4 of them.

I was impressed by how simple the fiber was, just plug and play! Realistically I didn’t have to use fiber, but I’ve never used it before and thought why not? Plus it future-proofs me.

One nice thing about fiber is, that it’s not conductive (lightning-proof), and is not prone to electrical interference. So to connect both boxes I thought "Let's use fiber!"

It could just be placibo, but the internet on my couch computer does feel a tiny bit more responsive. It’s possible the old ethernet cable that got replaced with fiber in some way was introducing a tiny bit of latency.

While I was at it I swapped out the motherboard for my file server. The file server was using a Pentium j3710. It did burn low watts (6.5) but was slow. So I put the motherboard in it from my old couch computer. Soooooooo much faster, plus I have enough sata ports so I don't have to use a sata adding card.

Such a sexy case.

image.jpeg

Old motherboard 

image.jpeg

New Motherboard (used)

image.jpeg

Congratulations on your upgrade! Looks like you are setting up a great network there.

I upgraded to Fiber last year and have slowly been upgrading my home network to 10/2.5GB. I did purchase switches that don't require SFP+ connectors though, not sure if this was the right call, not a networking expert here.  The connection has been rock solid.

Do you believe I should get SFP+ connectors and compatible switches over the regular ones that have regular Ethernet ports? I read SFP+ connectors are mostly used for servers and industrial setups.

Are you using cat 6a for the up links? If so there's little to be gained from moving to sfp+ as they're already very screened cables.

The big advantages of fibre are for longer runs especially when you move to 25gbe or faster. At work I have a local network using passive qsfp which works at 56gb without needing fibre, the runs are all 1m though!

On 18/03/2024 at 09:24, Ixion said:

Are you using cat 6a for the up links? If so there's little to be gained from moving to sfp+ as they're already very screened cables.

The big advantages of fibre are for longer runs especially when you move to 25gbe or faster. At work I have a local network using passive qsfp which works at 56gb without needing fibre, the runs are all 1m though!

You are correct. But it was one of those "I've never done it before, so why not" sort of things. Plus while probably unnecessary, having a fiber uplink to the upstairs isn't all bad.

On 18/03/2024 at 14:01, Elі said:

Congratulations on your upgrade! Looks like you are setting up a great network there.

I upgraded to Fiber last year and have slowly been upgrading my home network to 10/2.5GB. I did purchase switches that don't require SFP+ connectors though, not sure if this was the right call, not a networking expert here.  The connection has been rock solid.

Do you believe I should get SFP+ connectors and compatible switches over the regular ones that have regular Ethernet ports? I read SFP+ connectors are mostly used for servers and industrial setups.

The SFP+ connectors are transceiver modules. The SFP+ means it's rated from 1G to 10G transfers. They can be for different types of fiber (such as LC like op used) or ethernet (standard RJ45 CAT6 etc). If your switch has SFP+ ports, you can swap between fiber or ethernet just by replacing the modules.

https://www.sfpcables.com/10gbase-t-sfp-transceiver-up-to-80-meters-cat-6a  This one for example, plugs into the SPF+ port, and provides you with a 10G ethernet port on your switch. 
The same thing happens with SFP+ network adapters for your PC. The network adapter will have SPF+ ports, then you plug in what ever transceiver module you want to use with the cable you have. If you have an existing ethernet network, just use the 10gbase-t transceiver and plug your ethernet into that. Then when, if you feed the need for fiber, swap out the module for a standard 10GBase-SR and plug in the cheap (sometimes cheaper than ethernet) LC to LC fiber cables. They're premade you just have to buy the correct size for your needs. Simply plug in and play, everything works as normal ethernet would. 
As for being server grade, 10g while fast is also quite old in the server work place. The only reason why we don't have 10g networking at home at the moment is people are reluctant to move to fiber connections. Be it they already have their home wired with ethernet, or they just don't understand what's needed. 
That being said, if you do want very cheap cards and modules, ebay for ex server stuff is the way to go. Most servers that were doing 10g has already moved on to much faster gear now, so they're basically throwing 10g away. 

• Like 2

On 18/03/2024 at 11:39, sagum said:

The SFP+ connectors are transceiver modules. The SFP+ means it's rated from 1G to 10G transfers. They can be for different types of fiber (such as LC like op used) or ethernet (standard RJ45 CAT6 etc). If your switch has SFP+ ports, you can swap between fiber or ethernet just by replacing the modules.

https://www.sfpcables.com/10gbase-t-sfp-transceiver-up-to-80-meters-cat-6a  This one for example, plugs into the SPF+ port, and provides you with a 10G ethernet port on your switch. 
The same thing happens with SFP+ network adapters for your PC. The network adapter will have SPF+ ports, then you plug in what ever transceiver module you want to use with the cable you have. If you have an existing ethernet network, just use the 10gbase-t transceiver and plug your ethernet into that. Then when, if you feed the need for fiber, swap out the module for a standard 10GBase-SR and plug in the cheap (sometimes cheaper than ethernet) LC to LC fiber cables. They're premade you just have to buy the correct size for your needs. Simply plug in and play, everything works as normal ethernet would. 
As for being server grade, 10g while fast is also quite old in the server work place. The only reason why we don't have 10g networking at home at the moment is people are reluctant to move to fiber connections. Be it they already have their home wired with ethernet, or they just don't understand what's needed. 
That being said, if you do want very cheap cards and modules, ebay for ex server stuff is the way to go. Most servers that were doing 10g has already moved on to much faster gear now, so they're basically throwing 10g away. 

Thanks for the detailed information. Appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to do mine a different way in the end and went with a pair of Asus BE-98 Routers which have 2x10Gbe RJ45s, 4x2.5Gbe RJ45s and a single GBE port, currently configured as a mesh network using the 5GHz WiFi as an "11Gbps" backhaul, it has the advantage of upgrading my network to include WiFi 7 as well so should be good for the next few years! The only downside is it can't actually push 10Gb/s on the 10Gb/s ports as it runs out of CPU power at around 8Gbps when routing, not that it's causing me any issues. I may well install a Cat6a backhaul at some point as it would maximise performance but for the time being my PC is limited to 2.5Gbe anyway so it'll probably be a job for when I next do a system upgrade rather than be worth it right now.