FF: YouTube randomly stops in the middle of a video and does not resume

This issue has been happening quite frequently lately and I can not figure out the source of it. I can be in the middle of watching something on YouTube and it will just stop playing and will not restart, often resulting in either closing the tab or closing FF completely, and upon reloading, it plays flawless. To be clear, it is not buffering or trying to fetch more data, according to the video, it has prefetched all of the video by the time it stalls. Also on a semi-related issue, when closing FF, it frequently does not completely close and stays loaded using massive amounts of RAM. Has anybody had any similar issues to that I am having? Also for a bit more detail, the PC is wired, not wireless and the internet speeds are ~200 MbS Down and 15-20 up

Are you blocking adverts on YouTube?

If so I suspect YouTube trying to load the advert, failing to, then the video gets stuck as YouTube thinks the advert is still playing even though its not.

You could try disable your ad blocker if you are and then see if the video then still gets stuck in the same place to narrow down the cause of the issue.

I started having this odd issue too after changing my DNS to cloudflare's DoH service... after turning it off... worked fine agian... youtube also stopped showing me "suggestions" with DoH turned on....

On 21/03/2024 at 03:46, InsaneNutter said:

Are you blocking adverts on YouTube?

If so I suspect YouTube trying to load the advert, failing to, then the video gets stuck as YouTube thinks the advert is still playing even though its not.

You could try disable your ad blocker if you are and then see if the video then still gets stuck in the same place to narrow down the cause of the issue.

Interesting thought, I am using uBlock Origin to block ads globally, but the odd issue is that the videos don't freeze all the time, and they don't freeze in the same spots. Do ads load randomly or are they at specific times?

On 21/03/2024 at 10:11, jnelsoninjax said:

Do ads load randomly or are they at specific times?

It's a bit of a mix depending on the channel. Pretty sure setting specific times is optional for uploaders.

Wasn't uBlock one of the ones that had an issue before due to something or other? or was that just AdBlock Plus and them? I've been on AdGuard myself since I got a lifetime license from one of our front page deals, and haven't noticed any issue. I also use the ImprovedTube extension though which cleans some things up https://github.com/code-charity/youtube