total 612.8GB

Seriously, don't criticize him for not having a raid setup. He could have a good reason it. Nevertheless it's his decision.

This is true - but a ~60gig swap file, and allowing a drive fill to up with only, ie 3% free. Where there is that much space available, just does not make any sense ;)

This is true - but a ~60gig swap file, and allowing a drive fill to up with only, ie 3% free. Where there is that much space available, just does not make any sense ;)

no,swap file only used 1.5GB~ :rolleyes:

Seriously, don't criticize him for not having a raid setup.? He could have a good reason for it.? Nevertheless it's his decision.

i don't want having RAID setup cause i'm too lazy(that is the main reason):p:p

and don't have enough time to backup my data if it run RAID 0

but RAID 1 will waste hdd space

so i don't want to set a RAID setup

(i know RAID have many different mode)

thats what i call space... however... think of this: how about 4x 250gb drives? :p

That's what I'm working towards. I've got 2x60, 1x120, and 2x250. I'm gonna drop the 2x60 for a 250 drive and that'll put me at 620GB. Then I'll drop another 250 in there at some point to bring it up to 870.

I blame my MythTV box I'm building. I've been a collector of TV episodes lately, and that will only add to the problem.

I'd do one of those fancy raid 15 arrays...or just 2 sets of raid 0 and backup your important **** on the leftover drive...thats what I do...except I only have 2 HDs :(

no,swap file only used 1.5GB~ :rolleyes:

seems strange then that your drive with a swap label has only 56% free then, doesnt it. And your letting a drive get to a point where there is only 3% free is just plain stupid - sorry, but it is! With that much space just laying around - it does not make any sense.

Since all your space is FREE - why would you need that much space? It's likey having a nice car, but not driving it - you just take it out of the garage to let people see it. You wash it and wax it - but never drive it.

As to your statements about raid - if your worried about not backing up if running raid 0, and performance if running 1 - then why not run 0+1, ie a mirrored raid 0 array. This will give you the performance of raid 0, and the peace of mind of a raid 5 (loss of 1 drive out of the 4 and your ok) - This even still leaves you a 160gig drive to use as a backup drive, etc..

With the price of drives today - anyone with about $400 burning a whole in their pocket could put a 1/2TB online using only 2 drives. But if you really have no use for it - whats the point? Since three of your drives show 100% FREE, your using what about 25% of your total space - and that is squeezed onto a drive and a half.

Just my 2 cents on your setup is all - Kewl you have 600Gig online, I am happy for you ;)

I just built myself a new 200x5 SATA RAID5 array for my new fileserver, cost me a few hundred for the drives and controller, but it's worth it. I'm currently using it as an anime/movie fileserver at lan parties, along with anything else I can think of storing on there. It's got around 340gb free space right now, so as you can see I'm quite good at filling it. :)

My main rig has around 420gigs of space, with about 100 of that free, but I could probably do better. I'm currently got 3x80, 1x60, and 1x120 drives, with the 120 being a SATA. My next idea is to upgrade my main rig's boot drive to dual 75gig WD Raptor drives in a RAID 0 as soon as the price comes down a bit more.

no RAID either... freaken n00bs. :no:

exactly.. so many drives... put those disks in raid ppl!!! :devil:

you WILL notice a performance increase... and it's pretty sae if you go for Raid5 ;)

I have tons of disk space, but I dont want all the drives chewing at my psu in my main box, so i have a file server, also I have raid 0 on my system disc for speed. And i have plenty of RAM and disable my page file.

I think this system shows a bunch of drives being used very badly :)

Um - no 8 U320 15k rpm drives would be bad ass. 8 SATA drives spinning at 7200 rpm is home use, or a test box or something. Not for a production server. Who do you work for?

Your actually using SATA drives - and not even raptors in a production server? What did the IT budget take a 90% hit or something?

we are looking for total capacity and speed.

to get 2TB of space and speed w/ scsi would be super expensive.

to get 2TB of space w/ U320 and 15k RPM drives...

29 70GB Maxtor SCSI drives @ $650 each = $18,850

or

12 180GB Seagate drives @ 7200RPM @ $650 each = $7,150

and to get 2~3 Adaptec SCSI RAID 2200S @ $800 a piece the total server

cost could buy me a really nice car.

not to mention the number of power supplies needed to fuel all those drives would

increase the cost initially and also to operate.

sata has almost all the perks of scsi like hot swap and w/ our raid 5 if a drive fails

we can pop in a new one.

the SATA way is far less expensive and can yeild pretty much what this box is intended for

storage and a SQL database server.

and also all those SCSI drives would definately saturate the 64bit PCI bus which would

make having all those drives useless for speed.

trust me i had to write the proposal for this. the price difference was about $8000~20,000 SATA vs SCSI.

and also the motherboard will have a PCI Express slot on it so that when a new SATA RAID card comes out

for PCI Express we can easily upgrade to it.