Berlin - anyone there?

Hi

I'm heading to Berlin in a month, and have a few queries - anyone here from Berlin?

• Can I buy a visitor's 4-day rail pass from the machines?
  • Is there a decent app for the U-Bahn and S-Bahn?
  • What time do the trains stop?
  • Can you recommend anywhere that sells good zigeunerschnitzel?

:)

Posted (edited)

Loved Berlin when I visited 5 years ago. Went out on the town since we heard the clubs were literally open continuously from midnight Friday to 9am Monday. One thing to mention: if you're buying U-Bahn/S-Bahn tickets from a machine, do not make the mistake of purchasing a 'reduced rate' ticket. The way this translated and was worded on the machine read as our equivalent of an off-peak ticket. It actually means 'Child'. I got fined. Nowhere on the machine does it mention it is reduced because of age. I made a point of this by videoing the entire ticket purchasing process and appealed the ticket. After a proper faff, I got the fine reduced by half I think...

If you're into drinking bourbon - Lidl had a bottle of their Western Gold for about €6.50. Over here at the time it was about £12. I see it is currently €9.49 or £8.13. A whole bottle for under the same price as a large bourbon and coke over here. I think we purchased four bottles to get us through the weekend!

Edited by Max
  • Like 1

On 11/04/2024 at 02:22, Max said:

Loved Berlin when I visited 5 years ago. Went out on the town since we heard the clubs were literally open continuously from midnight Friday to 9am Monday. One thing to mention: if you're buying U-Bahn/S-Bahn tickets from a machine, do not make the mistake of purchasing a 'reduced rate' ticket. The way this translated and was worded on the machine read as our equivalent of an off-peak ticket. It actually means 'Child'. I got fined. Nowhere on the machine does it mention it is reduced because of age. I made a point of this by videoing the entire ticket purchasing process and appealed the ticket. After a proper faff, I got the fine reduced by half I think...

Oh, I can see how that mistake would be made compared to the UK. It's the same in Switzerland, the buses and trains have a "1/2 (demi) tariff" but it applies to children, pensioners and people that have purchased a...err, "subscription" for the service. There's no such thing as "off-peak" hours in countries where the public rely on their public transportation system. ;)