How can I connect an HP Deskjet 2300 to the router's USB port and have it available to all?

Hi everyone 🤗.

My ISP installed a Huawei HG8145V5 with a USB port, and we recently purchased an HP Deskjet 2300.

We want to connect it to the USB port and have it available to all wireless devices.

I've been browsing the web, watching videos, and asking ChatGPT/Gemini for help, but I haven't nailed it yet.

Here's what I've done

My router's IP address is:

image.thumb.png.270b507e0da9c7e3548848f773104f80.png

I've managed to enter the main page and enable printer and storage sharing.

I'm currently under MacOS, and tried adding the printer via IP. I've juggled through several ports and connections and haven't found the right combination

Here are my settings:

image.thumb.png.aedc5ebf532fc17d10686ccfc3c10563.png

But, unfortunately, I end up getting:

image.png.bf1d9a114a25c7d38f08d2cb94185380.png

Any ideas?

I could be wrong on this, but..

next to protocol, I think LPD is wrong..

Now, don't whack me..

My printer (HP Laser Jet Pro M130nw) I have it set to the network, so everyone in the house can access it.

On 09/05/2024 at 15:16, Mindovermaster said:

I could be wrong on this, but..

next to protocol, I think LPD is wrong..

Now, don't whack me..

My printer (HP Laser Jet Pro M130nw) I have it set to the network, so everyone in the house can access it.

I've already tried with every protocol from the dropdown.

I tried running an IP scan of the network to see if it shows something, but according to some sites, the printer will never have a unique IP address as it's connected to the USB (Please correct my terms). That I should use the router's IP.

But that's how far I've come. 

Does that USB port for Printers or Data (External/NAS devices)?

Some routers say that.

On 09/05/2024 at 16:22, Mindovermaster said:

Does that USB port for Printers or Data (External/NAS devices)?

Some routers say that.

Oh, I didn't know that.

I just checked and it just says "USB". Additionally the printer is detected in the configuration settings.

Hm, OK then. Did you set up the printer to use USB over the network. Meaning it's possible to share. I'm just throwing out ideas here.

nvm..

Huawei and Mac, not my favourite two groups for separate reasons... 😕

Does the printer have a display? It doesn't look like it does from a quick look, but nothing wrong with making sure.

EDIT: I'm running around headless at the second, but have you checked this: https://help.hikeup.com/portal/en/kb/articles/enabling-cups-printer-interface-for-mac

Posted (edited)
On 09/05/2024 at 17:55, Nick H. said:

Huawei and Mac, not my favourite two groups for separate reasons... 😕

Does the printer have a display? It doesn't look like it does from a quick look, but nothing wrong with making sure.

EDIT: I'm running around headless at the second, but have you checked this: https://help.hikeup.com/portal/en/kb/articles/enabling-cups-printer-interface-for-mac

Heheheheh. I don't blame ya'

The printer does not have a display. I think I could get the properties if it had.

I did check the link and tried accessing that port, but that's non-existent. I also tried running the command, while it seems it executed, I couldn-t see any interface.

Oh wait. I can enter into the interface! Nice trick!

• Haha 1

No idea how it would work under Apple but generally you need the printer to be discoverable under the network view, simplest way to do this is find a network scanner to determine what services are available on your LAN.  Then you need to install the HP Universal Drivers on each computer which will try and discover any attached network devices, you may need to disable networking on the printer as HP may pick up the WiFi if it has it.  Some of the configuration you may need to do locally on your system before attaching to the router share. Also note Apple shares devices in a different way to Windows, so the router may only doing Windows homegroup type share. don't remember which protocols Apple and Windows use but pretty sure it's Bonjour for Apple for device discovery. It's been years since I have had do deal with printer network shares and I still have PTSD from those times.