ESPN Changing NBA Player Names ?

I don't know why I'm posting this but I've noticed over time that ESPN lists players with their names spelled how they sound rather than how they should be spelled:

ESPN Peja Stojakovic

Actual Spelling Predrag Stojakovic

ESPN Hedo Turkoglu

Actual Spelling Hidayet Turkoglu

ESPN Rasho Nesterovic

Actual Spelling Radoslav Nesterovic

I'm sure there are more but these are some players I watch and I tend to remember how names are spelled by how they would sound, so Radoslav would be ra-do-slav which is how I noticed it was wrong when I saw it as Rasho.

Anyhow just thought it was odd and somewhat interesting....

makes it easier for the common man to say and remember.. makes it easier for him to talk about the player with his friends, means he'll be more likely to support the player, more money for the league

Yeah, those are all just nicknames...example: Matthew...Matt.

One thing ESPN does that I DO hate is the stupid "street" names they give like "Bron Bron" or "B Diddy".

Only Chris Berman should be allowed to give nicknames... :D

This goes way back to Dikembe Mutombo who's real name is: Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacque Wamutombo

It just makes the names easier to say and market. Now, what really bugs me is the Short name nickname. ARod was fine since it was kinda the first, but that led to IRod (who should alway be Pudge...thanks a lot Linda Cohn) and C-Webb, T-Mac, and I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now.