buying a new pc

hello,

my gf keeps buggin me that i shall help her deciding on which to buy.there's a local/regional offer:

1,6ghz duron

40gb hd

256mb ram

graphics/lan/sound onboard

300euros.

my question: will this pc be able to run some older games (i.e. sims)? because my gf only wants to surf the net and play sims with it, maybe some office stuff. but that's it.

I've got also got a 1.6ghz pc and it runs the sims fine on all resolutions, and the detail is high. the sims is a pretty old game so that spec will be able to run it and do most tasks with ease.

im just concerend about that "graphics onboard". i never had any of those. doesnt sound as if it could handle games at all...!?

If the graphics onboard is a Geforce or Radeon type (unlikely considering the price) it'll be OK, for other onboard graphics chipsets it's take a lucky dip time.

I'm not sure, but i think you will need a basic graphics card, you can pick up a geforce 4 (mx or ti) that will easily cope with games like sims relatively cheaply, as i think onboard, will not cope with most games.

ps: i have an onboard sound card, - and that just means i don't have one.

:) Why not save alittle more and get a AMD Athlon XP Barton , Im building my own custom pc atm , and its AMD XP barton 2500+ , good processors and can be overclocked to 3200+ easily with proper cooling. I got a (HSF) AMD Noiseless 3GHZ cooler. :laugh: