Hyperthreading. Turn it ON or OFF...

LMFAO @ the dude thinking hyperthreading turns your dual channel into single channel mode.

ahahhahaaahahahahaahaha. best stuff i've heard all week.

how am i wrong?

[in a Mortal Kombat voice speaking to xStainDx about csabo2]

FINISH HIM!!!

[/in a Mortal Kombat voice speaking to xStainDx about csabo2]

:laugh:

Am i confusing you staind? its quite simple, if you have dual channel DDR @ 400mhz , and you enable HT, you are sending through 2 different proceses, therefore making it single channel DDR.. do you need some ice for your head?

and i get 15 - 20 fps more in Q3 with HT off

:laugh: :rolleyes: :no:

No. Where did you even come up with all this? I'd like to see an article that states this...get twice the laughs I'm getting from you.

Back to 3ds, all I know is that I did tests by changing the processor affinity and rendering the scene with it using both processors and only one processor, and for the scene I was doing it was significant. I have since tried again, since SP1, and there was no difference this time. This was with 5 and 6.

Back to 3ds, all I know is that I did tests by changing the processor affinity and rendering the scene with it using both processors and only one processor, and for the scene I was doing it was significant. I have since tried again, since SP1, and there was no difference this time. This was with 5 and 6.

Where were you setting the processor affinity? Through the task manager? 3ds max has multi-threaded settings within.

Alright alright, you guys had your fun. Yes he's wrong but you don't have to criticize and belittle him.

True, he has been....

post-13-1078512929.jpg

Where were you setting the processor affinity?  Through the task manager?  3ds max has multi-threaded settings within.

Either way it's the same effect, the process is only using one logical processor, and the render was faster when I set the affinity to use only one proc.

Either way it's the same effect, the process is only using one logical processor, and the render was faster when I set the affinity to use only one proc.

Very weird. :wacko:

guys, stop arguing. it is VERY clear here.

here is what to do in non-geek talk:

Multi-task = HT on

no Multi-task = HT on

all clear?

Edited by DaCoOlNeSs

guys, stop arguing. it is VERY clear here.

here is what to do in non-geek talk:

Multi-task = HT on

no Multi-task = HT off

all clear?

It's not that simple. You could have one application that was HT-aware and that would benefit from HT being enabled even without multitasking. The application would multitask with itself, if you will.

Generally speaking HT should ALWAYS be on. I just wanted to point out that there are some particular examples where turning HT off could get you a few % more performance. The question posted by the thread starter may be one of those situations.

I would not want, however, to give the impression that users need to enable or disable HT based on what they plan to do that day. It isn't worth the bother. Leave it on.

at the end of the day if you turn a light on you expect it to instantly come on given a split second pause

you also want your computer to do something when you press a button instantly given a split second pause.

just about every computer whatever the cpu does this nowadays as fast as your eyes can register whats just happened when you press said button.

this doesnt take into account encoding and games etc

encoding at the moment does take a long time dependant upon how much your actually encoding.

games really depend on the graphic card, its onboard memory and the driver and renderer you use.

nuff said

amd and ati are what i use to acheive the above and ive had no problems.

no fancy memory or overclocking just basic chip and ram and graphic card etc

Sorry, I'll apologise to all of the hundreds (dozens?) of people that actually bought one.

I'm not even anti-Intel. I'm using an Intel box right now. Produce loyalty is one thing but you need to be able to accept that certain "features" of your favourite product might actually have negative consequences (even if minor) to some other users.

you must really love your heads of lettuce.... Stay out of the produce area of the supermarket