[SLACKWARE] - bootsplash how-to

Framebuffer on a console is supar seksy

Anyway, I am writing this from a 2.6.4rc1-love kernel so if you haven?t upgraded to this then this possibly isn?t for you, but imo I think you should because its lovable.

Note I installed this bootsplash basically as painless as possible so if you guys know of any options or a quicker way to apply some things please add to this.

Requirements

Knowledge of kernel compiling, patching, editing lilo config

Ok so the utilities I have on my system to get this working is:

2.6.4rc1-love kernel patch

swaret

With swaret or your web browser install bootsplash

as root:

swaret ?install bootsplash

in your /usr/src/linux

make menuconfig

compile these options in as [*], not module [M]

Code maturity level options ---> 
[*] Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers 
Processor type and features ---> 
[*] MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) support 
Block Devices -> 
[*] Loopback device support 
[*] RAM disk support 
(4096) Default RAM disk size 
[*] Initial RAM disk (initrd) support 
Console Drivers -> 
[*] VGA text console 
[*] Video mode selection support 
Console Drivers -> Frame-buffer support -> 
[*] Support for frame buffer devices 
[*] VESA VGA graphics console 
[*] Use splash screen instead of boot logo

(taken from the gentoo help forum)

Now with the kernel im using there is an added option right below Use a splash screen instead of a boot logo which was cool  just disable the a splash screen instead of a boot logo and you will be able to select the use Bootsplash instead of splash screen option and I just selected all the options under that 

Now compile your kernel, don?t reboot yet though.

make && make clean bzImage modules modules_install 
mv /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.old 
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/
cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-lovesource
cd /boot/
ln ?sf System.map-lovesource System.map

Now set an image to appear

/sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/themes/pcxz-2/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg > /boot/initrd-1024x768

(now this was just my preference, there are a couple of other themes in the directory that I didn?t check out yet, of course you could do more research and make your own)

now edit your /etc/lilo.conf file

image="/boot/bzImage" 
vga=0x317
root="/dev/hda" 
label="your linux" 
read-only # read-only for checking 
# append="video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr" 
initrd=/boot/initrd-1024x768

Now the append I haven?t touched on yet because it was getting late  but I added it in there for later testing, it basically speeds up the console while in framebuffer mode, should be a useful option to have turned on.

Once you are satisfied with your config, run /sbin/lilo so it will ?recycle? itself and update with your latest changes

Here is a chart I stole off gentoo forums yet again that have the vga options

| 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024 
----+------------------------------------- 
256 | 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307 
32k | 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319 
64k | 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A 
16M | 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B

Now after completing all of this I had a /etc/rc.d/rc.bootsplash script already setup so no need to worry about having it start up at boottime its already there! Go slack 

So that?s it I think, it is a rough draft of a how-to, I usually research and post but this time I took a stab at writing one.

Ill be revising periodically when I see fit. Please add your suggestions and what not.

pease

Thanks to syscrash2k for the link and some of the peeps on 2600 network for the help

Thank you kemical, your guide helped me get it working perfectly. I had left out the ramdisk stuff in my kernel. also I don't have this option when making the kernel:

[*]Use splash screen instead of boot logo

What I did was click yes to apply a bootlogo but then unchecked all of the boot logos listed (I think that is what I did). anyway I got it to work (Y)

ill have to double check that option im doing this from memory last night :( are you running the love patch ? if so which rc version

Kemical, have you had any luck getting the progress bar to work in silent mode? I've been trying to get it to work for the Linux theme, making bootsplash run silent is easy, but the instructions on how to make the progress bar work are killing me.

Note: I am running Slackware as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Any luck on the progress bar, Kemical? I still can't get it to work.

ive tried several different themes that had the progressbar already setup and im having trouble as well, ill have more time to look into it this weekend maybe i can make a simple one and try to at least get something to come up

I still can not get it to work. I understand the concept in the Slackware-Brasil article, but I'm having problems executing it. The guide on bootsplash.org isn't helping me with Slackware.