DHCP Help Please!

Hey guys, I'm going to keep this short and straight forward. Please help me in any way possible, if you can. Thanks in advance.

- 1 x cable internet connection via Motorola SURFboard modem

- 1 x Netgear 802.11b router (192.168.0.1)

- 1 x wired desktop connected to port 1 on router (192.168.0.2)

- 1 x wireless desktop connected via Gigafast 802.11b USB adapter (0.0.0.0)

Obviously my problem is the desktop using the wireless adapter is unable to obtain a valid IP address from the DHCP server, the Netgear router. I'm not sure whether to rule the USB adatper as non-function because it can SEE and CONNECT to the wireless connection. It picks it up and even tells me the signal strength is very good. Quickly looking at the status of the connection via XP displays outgoing packets being sent, but ZERO activity being on the receiving end.

I decided to introduce an outside system onto this connection to troubleshoot. It's a laptop and it has a Gigafast 802.11b PCMCIA card. I turn on the laptop and boot into XP and the wireless connection picks up immediately and flawlessly. In turn I remove the PCMCIA card and hook up the 802.11b USB and immediately experience the same problem.

I've reset all of the settings to factory defaults on the router, used a different network name, different channel, enabled a the "wireless access card" list adding the USB adapter to it, but still, all yielding the same results.

Since the result of the laptop is the same, it leads me to believe the USB adapter may be faulty? But it doesn't make any sense to me becaues it's only about 1 month old, and was working fine at a short point in time. It's obviously working somewhat because it can go as far as SEEING and CONNECTING to the wireless connection. It just can't seem to be able to obtain a valid IP.

Perhaps maybe it was the router I thought that may have had trouble assigning IP addresses to the USB adapter but it can't be since it worked perfectly with the PCMCIA wireless card. (I've also tried assigning a STATIC IP to the USB adapter but it will not function either).

If anyone can please give me some insight on this matter, please do so. I need to resolve this matter as soon as possible.

Thanks again.