Pentium4 (or should i expand cpu hardwar items)?

were can i get some cheap pentium4 proc. 2.0ghz-3.2ghz i've decided to start my own buisness with a friend who know alot about computers and know enough to make and sell and format but i'm still a noob. and like wut kind of motherboard should i use? i need a decent price because these are gonna be mostly students who want comps and they are look'n for the 275-600range. and how do i know if a particular motherboard will fit in a case i decide to purchase??

oh and i was wonder'n if i should use athlon proc. too and compadable motherboards?

thanx

CraSh?

Unless you are both legal and knowledgeable I wouldn't go making a business out of it. A quick way to get yourself sued.

PS. Hodgepodge system builders like you are what give custom rigs a bad name IMO. ;)

lol, but not a bad sig ;)

If these PC's are just going to be for a few friends.. then it should be okay.. and if they are students, then an AMD may be preferable, they are cheaper...

If you buy things in Trays then you will get discounts..

but AMD and INTEL only sell 1000 unit Trays... I hope you're rich. :p

I have to take this opportunity just to say what a lovely sig that is, Crash.

Goten will be happy :)

Right, lets stop looking at your sig, and start looking at some PC specs.

When i'm building a PC for someone, I get a rough idea of what they want first. These few questions determine the rough price of their system:

1. Are you a heavy gamer? (Can make ?50/?100 difference to the PC's price)

1a. Do you play the latest games? (Can make a ?200 bump in the PC's price)

2. Are you looking for a futureproof system (for the forseeable future). (= P4 3.2Ghz/overclocked...1GB RAM etc)

3. What tasks are you wanting to perform on your new PC? (E.g: Playing DVD movies, internet browsing, email, movie editing, etc)

I also build PC's to budgets, which enables people to say "build me the fastest PC for that price". I do just that.

The types of components you put into your systems will vary according to budget. For example, you dont want a ?140 motherboard in a PC when you only have a budget of ?300). So plan your purchases wisely and do your homework on different products!

Haha, you're a little late in the market for custom built PCs. The markets already saturated, you'll be lucky if you break even trying to compete with Dell or the many other smaller traders like yourself. Face it, it's simply not a viable business. I've done this with a Young Enterprise at school (worth an extra 2 GCSEs ... woot) and we realised pretty quick it wasn't going to work so we moved to services instead.

And btw crash, M.Ds don't go posting on neowin for the business advise....

Haha, you're a little late in the market for custom built PCs. The markets already saturated, you'll be lucky if you break even trying to compete with Dell or the many other smaller traders like yourself. Face it, it's simply not a viable business. I've done this with a Young Enterprise at school (worth an extra 2 GCSEs ... woot) and we realised pretty quick it wasn't going to work so we moved to services instead.

And btw crash, M.Ds don't go posting on neowin for the business advise....

Rubbish. Dell and other manu's make PC's with dodgy cut down motherboards that are just well.......dodgy.

The majority of them probably use Intel boards (like my friends) which are just impossible to overclock. The memory is cheapass generic or low-end Kingston stuff. No proper RAM like HyperX or Corsair XMS.

If somebody wants a PC with lots of flexibility to overclock, etc. They are not going to get a lot from manu's.

Plus, from recent PC's i've seen from companies, the specs are all okish, then they skimp on the graphics card by putting a GeForce4 MX440 in. Pfft. Will always make my own PC's.

Rubbish. Dell and other manu's make PC's with dodgy cut down motherboards that are just well.......dodgy.

The majority of them probably use Intel boards (like my friends) which are just impossible to overclock. The memory is cheapass generic or low-end Kingston stuff. No proper RAM like HyperX or Corsair XMS.

If somebody wants a PC with lots of flexibility to overclock, etc. They are not going to get a lot from manu's.

Plus, from recent PC's i've seen from companies, the specs are all okish, then they skimp on the graphics card by putting a GeForce4 MX440 in. Pfft. Will always make my own PC's.

Someone that knows the diffrence between a MX card and a FX card, or that wants to overclock isnt going to want to have a system built for them. I know at least i woulnt unless the price was considerably lower then what i could do myself.

I usually help with this sort of thing, but I'm really sorry. IMHO if you have to ask this...

"and how do i know if a particular motherboard will fit in a case i decide to purchase??"

You SHOULD NOT be charging for your services. If you were building these with no profit in mind I would gladly help. What's going to happen is that these people are going to come to you in massive quantities with problems that you won't be able to fix. If you happen to kill any hardware you'll REALLY be screwed, as you'll have to replace it.

Well, here's my recommendations...

AMD owns the budget segment. for the $275-600 range they CANNOT be beat.

You'll have to buy retail hardware, unless you buy used. (There's no place to get 2-3ghz cpu's "Cheap")

Whoever suggested talking to the customer about what they want to do with it is absolutely correct. No reason to get a decent Vid card for a non-gamer.

Don't buy hardware ahead of time. Overstock will kill profits, you cannot keep up with dropping hardware prices.

All in all it's not the greatest thing to go into. Any nimrod with a screwdriver can build a PC, the tech support is where the real money is to be made...

Oh, and don't even think of installing illegal software. (That's a REALLY bad idea)

Don't sell overclocked systems (whether the customer knows or not). This can turn into a tech support nightmare.

Don't sell overclocked systems (whether the customer knows or not). This can turn into a tech support nightmare.

Very true. If the user wants to take the risk of overclocking, then let it be. Don't do it yourself for them.

ok. for the cheap range, we could just give them athlon xp's (which is what i was thinking)

for the retail hardware, of course. newegg

we are asking the customer like what they are using the computer for, what do they expect.

hardware - we buy when they want the computer

it takes less than a day to build and fully configure a computer (including assembly, installing and slipstreaming, auto patching and windows update)

illegal software - are you kidding me? i would actually like to become an adult

oc systems - this is our polecy -

we say overclocking, they say what, then we never mentine it again. if we say overclocking and they are like yes i want that. then we tell them we will overclock your computer on one condition. if your computer (hardware wise) breaks, then your screwed. if they overclock it them selfves then they are screewed. this method veers the customer away from overclocking their computer and will discourage them from trying. since who wants a computer that could at any moment.... blow up?