What does this "English" mean?

I have a Barclays Bank account

I am holding a cheque paid from my friend.

He has a HSBC account.

Now................

"This envelope is for Barclays' Customers Only as we are unable to process payments made by non-Barclays customers."

So can i use this envelope to paid my cheque or not?

( Even if you know the answer whether it works or not. But just by looking at the sentence. What would you think? )

i t wouldn't make sense for them to mass produce envelopes that could only contain checks from that one bank, however it does make sense to have to use an envelope from that bank to do anything. and who would do anything at that bank requiring an envelope unless they held an account...

checks are checks man

go for it!

Damn, does ppl still use cheques?

Never seen a cheque in my country for years.

Easier with the good old plastic card :)

And for transfers, just use your bank's internet account service :)

My bank is internet only :D

--mtw

Of course you can use it. It just means that for example your friend can't go pay cheques (form any bank) into his HSBC account using Barclay's envelopes.

Would help markedly to know where "this envelope" came from in the first place.

Would generally assume it means its use is limited to those who are direct customers of the bank it came from. In other words, someone on XY bank can't make a deposit at Barclay's and expect it to show up in their XY account. A no-brainer most places.

Face it, the standard of english used on the envelope is poor.

Would have been much easier to say "This envelope is only for Barclays customers to make deposits"

Of course you can use it. It just means that for example your friend can't go pay cheques (form any bank) into his HSBC account using Barclay's envelopes.

Precisely. I have a Barkleys Bank account too and that is basicly what it means. And the English does make sence, althought I agree it isn't as clear as it could be :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

OH... didn't know so many reply........ :D

Yes. The fact is that it is allowed. And i know that. But the point of asking is, if you are only looking at the sentence a lot of people would misunderstand their "right" meaning.

@AdamKnowles. Not being Rude. But if i am bad at english than more than 40% of people are same as me.

The reality is that this sentence is not properly phrase. But i am not qualify to say whether it is grammaticaly wrong or not.