[Tennis ] Bye Bye Hewit

This is more news that interests me. :)

Bye bye Hewit and good job Andy! (Y) Andy Roddick beat Saffin in the Indian Wells. (Y)

NDIAN WELLS, Calif. (AP) -- Andy Roddick avenged his Australian Open loss to Marat Safin, and two-time defending champion Lleyton Hewitt was eliminated by Juan Ignacio Chela in Monday's third round of the Pacific Life Open.

The 21-year-old Roddick beat Safin for the first time in their three matches, taking a 7-6 (6), 6-2 victory on a scorching afternoon when temperatures reached 102 degrees for the second day in a row.

"It only felt like 101," Roddick quipped.

Chela, an Argentine ranked No. 34, defeated the ninth-ranked Hewitt 6-3, 4-6, 6-1.

Andre Agassi, who turns 34 next month, looked as sharp as ever in a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Dominik Hrbaty in their night match. The fifth-ranked Agassi, the Indian Wells champion in 2001, peppered the lines with his groundstrokes, keeping his Slovakian opponent on the defensive most of the match.

On the women's side of the tournament, top-ranked Justine Henin-Hardenne got out of the heat in a hurry, needing only 58 minutes to defeat Marta Marrero 6-1, 6-2 in their third-round match.

Safin outlasted Roddick in a five-set quarterfinals marathon in Australia earlier this year. Safin lost the final to Roger Federer.

Roddick fell behind the 24-year-old Russian 0-3 at Indian Wells, then trailed 3-1 in the tiebreaker before his serve-and-volley game won it for him.

He took command in the second set and, when Safin netted a forehand to end the match, Roddick raised his racket and tapped it with his palm to applaud the fans.

"He played amazing in Australia," said Roddick, ranked No. 3 after finishing 2003 at No. 1. "He definitely didn't play as well today as he did in Australia. I think I came in a little bit more, keeping him guessing, maybe not being too predictable."

Chela beat Hewitt at his own game: chasing everything down, keeping the ball in play and waiting patiently for the opponent to make a mistake.

"Even when I felt like I had him on a stretch a couple of times, he came up with good defensive shots," said Hewitt, whose 13-match winning streak ended. "I didn't feel like I played too badly, but I felt like he didn't miss a lot of shots."

Hewitt did -- making 42 unforced errors to Chela's 15.

Hewitt's fiancee, Kim Clijsters, also won't repeat as champion at Indian Wells, where they received matching his and hers trophies a year ago.

Clijsters withdrew on Saturday after she hurt her left wrist a night earlier during a two-set win over Angelika Roesch.

The top-ranked Federer made quick work of Fernando Gonzalez in their third-round match, taking a 6-3, 6-2 win in 1:02.

Tommy Haas continued his comeback from 2002 shoulder surgery with a 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-3 victory over Albert Costa. Haas missed all of last year so the shoulder could heal.

Sesil Karatancheva, the brash 14-year-old from Bulgaria, was unable to back up her boast that she would beat Maria Sharapova.

Karatancheva won the first set, but her Russian opponent, just 16, came back to take a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory. Their match on a side court drew several thousand fans, as many or more than the Hewitt-Chela match going on at the same time in the main stadium.

"Hey, she played unbelievable. I have to give her credit," Karatancheva said. "I did everything I could. I could have played better, but you know what, that's my first big tournament.

"I'm 14. I probably have 30 years more in front of me. We'll play again someday and I hope I'll do better then."

Sharapova was gracious in victory.

"She's definitely a great young player. She has a great future ahead of her, no doubt about it," Sharapova said.

Couch Potato?

i'm soooooooo glad andy got revenge on safin :)

this is gonna be an awesome year in tennis, with roddick, safin, agassic, jc ferrero, federer, etc. all playing some of their best tennis. and you still got hewitt playing solid, tommy haas is making a comeback. can't wait for the next major!

i'm soooooooo glad andy got revenge on safin :)

this is gonna be an awesome year in tennis, with roddick, safin, agassic, jc ferrero, federer, etc. all playing some of their best tennis. and you still got hewitt playing solid, tommy haas is making a comeback. can't wait for the next major!

oh noeessss!!!11.. safin got beaten.. :(

safin is coming back stong.. watch your back other players :shifty: :laugh:

Hewitt is finished. Yeah, I know it's a sweeping statement but I really think the best we had to expect from him; we've now seen.

With the new girlfriend etc, he's just not in the game anymore.

something wasn't right with him though...he wasn't even running...too much sex? :p

Probably not too far from the truth :p

something wasn't right with him though...he wasn't even running...too much sex? :p

Kim Clijsters is not allowed to move her wrist so she'll take it calm. ;)

Couch Potato?