T.O is a Eagle - WTF!

I dont understand this , but he is not a raven. WTF

The NFL and the players' union have reached a settlement on the Terrell Owens' grievance that will allow Owens to go to the Eagles, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

Owens will travel to Philadelphia later today and will sign a long-term deal with the Eagles. The settlement will be announced at a news conference at 5:30 p.m. ET.

The Ravens will be compensated for voiding the Owens trade from the 49ers. They will be given a fifth-round choice (from the Eagles) for the inconvenience of losing Owens and having the trade voided.

Also under terms of the agreement, the 49ers will receive Eagles defensive end Brandon Whiting, a player whom 49ers general manager Terry Donahue considered for Owens before accepting a second-round choice from the Ravens.

For Owens, the trade to the Eagles fulfills his wish of going to Philadelphia. He worked out a $6 million a year deal with the Eagles minutes before the 49ers traded him to the Ravens. The 49ers granted Owens' agent, David Joseph, the chance to talk contract with any team while he was involved in trade discussions.

The Ravens completed the Owens trade two weeks ago and Owens protested because he wanted to go to Philadelphia. The case went to a special master Monday and a verdict was expected Tuesday. The 11th-hour settlement means the NFL's special master, Stephen Burbank, won't have to rule on Owens' grievance to become a free agent.

Owens lost his ability to be a free agent because he missed a Feb. 21 deadline to file the paperwork to void the final three years of his contract. He claimed that the deadline was March 2, the start of free agency, based on the language in his contract. The Feb. 21 date came from a side agreement between the union and the NFL when the start date of free agency was changed to March 1.

The 49ers feel somewhat satisfied because they get a defensive end with starting experience.

"I like Brandon Whiting,'' 49ers coach Dennis Erickson told ESPN.com. "We needed a defensive end and we think he will help us.''

the Eagles are going to have an awesome season in the passing department this year, too bad that they are going to be weak in the running department

The 11th-hour settlement means the NFL's special master, Stephen Burbank, won't have to rule on Owens' grievance to become a free agent.

I think the NFL wanted to avoid this because the way they felt on the ruling is that they would lose the case and TO would be a free agent, leaving the Ravens and probably the 49ers with nothing.

I think they did the right thing to make sure all parties involved got compensated.

TO takes his shouting match to the Eagles. Way to go. Hopefully, atleast he'll listen to Andy Reid and not disrupt the unit.

But the Eagles still need to recover from the loss of Duce Staley and Troy Vincent...

TO takes his shouting match to the Eagles. Way to go. Hopefully, atleast he'll listen to Andy Reid and not disrupt the unit.

But the Eagles still need to recover from the loss of Duce Staley and Troy Vincent...

he has said he likes andy reid so i don't really see a problem there.

finally though, my favorite football team gets a #1 reciever. :D

exactly...

I hope McNabb breaks a hip and the eagles have no one to pass the ball to TO, and TO gets ****ed and punched the QB or the Offensive Coordinator, and media storms philly and they crumble. Manegement then begins to trade all there players around the league for draft picks to "rebuild"

I hope..

I hope McNabb breaks a hip and the eagles have no one to pass the ball to TO, and TO gets ****ed and punched the QB or the Offensive Coordinator, and media storms philly and they crumble. Manegement then begins to trade all there players around the league for draft picks to "rebuild"

I hope..

lol well to be honest, I thought their back-up QB could throw the ball better than McNabb. :p

lol well to be honest, I thought their back-up QB could throw the ball better than McNabb. :p

Its just bull****. T.O is a bitch. The fact is, which I never knew about, is that he was going to hold out on the ravens if he was denied free agency.

Its like, "If I dont get to play 1st base, Im taking my ball and going home".

Its childish.

The ravens had no choice but to let him go to philly because he had no intensions of playing in baltimore or anyother city.

His agent f'ed up and he wasnt man enough to suck it up. Dont forget the ravens planned to offer him the same bonus philly offered.

I have ZERO respect for that man and wish him the worst of luck

Well true it would be childish but I actually do think his contract had a March 2nd deadline, meaning he did void his contract in time so the whole thing with the Ravens would have been nulled anyway, it seems like the NFL got word of this and tried to make a deal holding off the verdict.

But that's just speculation since we will never find out what the ruling would have been unless that guy, Burbank, talks about it.

actually do think his contract had a March 2nd deadline, meaning he did void his contract in time so the whole thing with the Ravens

No, the last date was Feb 21st and no, he did not void his contract on time then.

i dont think that date was solidified by the nfl. they original date was march 2 i thought.

Yes but the collective bargaining agreement was on Feb 21.

See here for the article.

An excerpt from it....

Owens missed out on free agency when he didn't notify the 49ers by Feb. 21 to void the final three years of his contract. Owens had a clause in his contract to void the contract by the first week in March but a collective bargaining override -- which was created in 2001 -- made the date around Feb. 21.

Yes but the collective bargaining agreement was on Feb 21.

See here for the article.

An excerpt from it....

Well by this, it seems they felt it was indeed the 2nd, and would likely get a ruling to support TO.

"The Feb. 21 date had no relationship to Mr. Owens in our interpretation of the CBA," Kessler said. "It's a date in his player's contract, which was March 2, and he clearly met that date, and that's what we believe the special master will rule. We'll find out."

and the eagles play the Ravens in Philadelphia this year. that will be an interesting game. im surprised he got out of baltimore..

,Mar 16 2004, 14:38] the Eagles are going to have an awesome season in the passing department this year, too bad that they are going to be weak in the running department

Nah, Westbrook is the most underrated player in football.

Oh man this is one of the greatest moments I can remember in my life as an Eagles fan, except that I am only 22 which is not very long. Now we are the New York Yankees of football with our stacked team! :D I can tell you guys that everyone in the Philadelphia area is going nuts now and people are asking radio stations when they can buy a black TO jersey. I can't even go to one place here without people talking about it. Dammit why did we have to break his collar bone in the last game of the season when we played SF.

And Destian is correct, Westbrook is definitely an overlooked running back. He had an awesome season and was more productive then Staley or Buckhalter. I do not think we are going to have a running problem with Westbrook, McNabb, and if Buckhalter does not get traded.

Edited by jmole