win98+ winxp on a NTFS HD

I'm fed up with games not working on my winxp + voodoo setup , so I thought of partitioning the free space that i have got in my one of my two NTFS partitions and installing Win98 on that.

But , I know Fat32 can't read NTFS drives but can it be the other away round?

Also is it poss to partition the free space from one of the NTFS and change it back to FAT32 so win98 will work on it??

Also is it poss to partition the free space from one of the NTFS and change it back to FAT32 so win98 will work on it??

It should be.

Windows 98 can't see NTFS drives, however Windows XP can see both FAT32 and NTFS drives.

If you want to install Windows 98 you'll have to start from scratch, basically fdisk the drive into two partitions, and format them both in FAT32, install Windows 98, then after that install Windows XP.

well you can't install 98 on NTFS HDs so you'll have to have one Fat32 and one NTFS or both Fat32s. The other thing is that you can't install 98 now since you already got XP. 98 has to be on the C drive and it wont install anywhere else. XP and 2k can be installed on any drive (d: or E: or whatever) so that means you'd have to format... split the drives and then install 98 then do a clean install from within 98SE with the XP CD and choose the D drive when you're install XP for that set up to work...

so i can't just partition the drive and installing win98 on that drive without touching the winxp partition?

:(

Seeing as i have to do that (might) is there a way of reinstalling the windows update files from the windows update folder without having to download them all again???

listen.. you'll have to FORMAT meaning DELETE everything!!!! and then install 98 then install windows XP. That's the only way to get it to work.... and yes you'll have to install everything over and set all your settings again... it's gonna take couple hrs... like 5hrs so just be ready....

Originally posted by SHoTTa35  

listen.. you'll have to FORMAT meaning DELETE everything!!!! and then install 98 then install windows XP. That's the only way to get it to work.... and yes you'll have to install everything over and set all your settings again... it's gonna take couple hrs... like 5hrs so just be ready....

OK I've got that now.

just got to find where i put the win98 disc!

:s >

Okay, thought I would point this weird thing out. My HDD is partitioned into 3. The 1st has WindowsXP English, and it's NTFS. The 2nd has WindowsXP Chinese and "was" FAT32. Yet when I am in WindowsXP Chinese I can still see and use partition 1's NTFS drive. That was odd but I didn't investigate. Anyhow the 2nd one is also NTFS...

You can't install 98 on NTFS. You can install 98 on a drive other than C, but the boot partition still needs to be Fat32.

You may be able to install 98 if you format the second partition using FAT32, then boot with a 98 startup disk and see if you can make the NTFS partition hidden - that way when the machine boots normally, it will only see the FAT32 partition, which will be seen as the C drive, where you can install 98. Now comes the fun part. In this setup, you would have to continuously boot with the 98 disk, and hide/re-hide that original partition to boot into XP or 98. What you need now is a 3rd party boot manager that will allow you boot into XP or 98 without jumping through hoops each time.

I've used XOSL in the past with great success booting into hidden partitons. I once had Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT, Win2K, WinXP, and SuSE linux installed on one hard drive - 3 of the partitions were hidden, and each had a dual-boot menu. Using XOSL, I could boot into one windows boot menu that had 95/NT, one had 98/2K, one had ME/XP, or directly into linux.

XOSL : http://www.xosl.org/

Even if you decide to change it later on, it's sometimes fun to just do it so you can say you did it :p

or you could use partition magic and do it without reformating

nomis_nehc: obviously, its not that FAT32 can't read NTFS its that Win98 can't read NTFS

so that means that XP on Fat32 WILL read NTFS

cheers for all your advice.

I have formatted the second partition to FAT and it has around 3.84GB which i think should be enougth.

Now i've got to find a WIN98 boot disc from bootdisc.com :s

Also , I've got a copy of AcronisOS Selector 5 somewhere , can i use that to switch between then OS's?

I just had a thought.

Why do i need an O/S selector when if i remember from when the last time i did it , Winxp came up with menu any way??

Also , I've created a setup disc in wwindows XP I just need to add the cdrom drivers to the disk and the config.sys.

where are the cd drom drivers on the win98 disc as I've searched for oakcdrom.sys and it hasn't found any thing!

Plus what code do i have to write for my cdrom drives to work in the config.sys?

Originally posted by samo123_uk  

I just had a thought.

Why do i need an O/S selector when if i remember from when the last time i did it , Winxp came up with menu any way??

In order to boot into 98, the boot partition needs to ne FAT or FAT32 - you've already said it's NTFS. By booting with a 98 star-up disk, and hiding that partiton (using FDISK), you'll only be able to boot into 98 (unless you boot with the floppy and unhide the XP partition every time you want to switch between OS's). Using a boot loader, you can boot into that hidden NTFS partiton without having to un-hide it for DOS.

Your other option would be to reformat the entire machine, then install 98 first, then XP Keep C FAT, and format the other partition as NTFS (if you want) for XP, and use XP's boot menu to choose.

I have since installed both O/S's . XP on C: and Win98 on D: .

It all went well until i decided to install Acronis OS Selector 5 which came from one of the PC Plus disc's.

Went through all the usall options and it went OK.

To test it i started it up in win98 then in winxp.

But there was a problem with loading winxp.

It gets to a scan disc and says that "windowsdumps5ab -crossed linked with an allocation unit 656388" , it solved this by copying.

The computer then restarted.

Becuase of this trouble i'd thought i'd look in the DISK ADMINISTRATOR tool in O/S selector. Heres what it said :-

# VOL LABEL FLAGS SIZE FREE TYPE

1 C WINXP PRIACT 3.9G 2.06G FAT32

2 - PRI ***Table (LBA)

5 D WIN98 3.9G 2.26 FAT32

- 7.8M ***FREE

Thats odd becuase in Win98 , as far as I can tell , there isn't any files in the folders!!!

Which is probably why it isn't starting, but it shows the CS boot screen i've got so it should work right?

What the **** happened???

Also , now i find that ACE FTP 2 FREE has disapered which i installed last night and the d/led zip file is no longer on my desktop!!!!!

HELP!

I have since installed both O/S's . XP on C: and Win98 on D: .  

It all went well until i decided to install Acronis OS Selector 5 which came from one of the PC Plus disc's.

Went through all the usall options and it went OK.

To test it i started it up in win98 then in winxp.

But there was a problem with loading winxp.

It gets to a scan disc and says that "windowsdumps5ab -crossed linked with an allocation unit 656388" , it solved this by copying.

The computer then restarted.

Becuase of this trouble i'd thought i'd look in the DISK ADMINISTRATOR tool in O/S selector. Heres what it said :-

#   VOL   LABEL     FLAGS     SIZE   FREE     TYPE  

1     C      WINXP   PRIACT   3.9G    2.06G    FAT32

2      -                    PRI                                 ***Table (LBA)

5     D      WIN98                 3.9G     2.26     FAT32

-                                   7.8M                 ***FREE

Thats odd becuase in Win98 , as far as I can tell , there isn't any files in the folders!!!

Which is probably why it isn't starting, but it shows the CS boot screen i've got so it should work right?

What the **** happened???

Also , now i find that ACE FTP 2 FREE has disapered which i installed last night and the d/led zip file is no longer on my desktop!!!!!

HELP!

I have no clue as to what you are trying to say.

First you said your XP was installed with NTFS, now your saying it's FAT32.

You said you booted into 98 and XP, but XP wouldn't boot - then you say 98 wouldn't boot. How did you boot into ither of them if neither of them boot?

If you can't boot, how were you running Disk Admin?

What is CS?

I think you might just want to start all over, install 98 and then install XP so that everything will work right.

I am not sure if this will help but.. I saw a program that allows windows 9X operating systems to view/use NTFS partitions.. now maybe if you can find this program you could make a seperate fat32 partition and install win98 on it and then use this prog so you can access your data from the ntfs volume. I will look for the program and when i find it i will post the link.

3nd3r

Originally posted by 3nd3r  

I am not sure if this will help but..  I saw a program that allows windows 9X operating systems to view/use NTFS partitions..  now maybe if you can find this program you could make a seperate fat32 partition and install win98 on it and then use this prog so you can access your data from the ntfs volume.  I will look for the program and when i find it i will post the link.

3nd3r

Right i've reinstalled win98 and winxp yet again after itfooked up.

I first installed win98 on c: and then winxp on D: . Which seems to be better:)

They are both FAT32 now.

Also i noticed a problem with installing Acronis OS selector on winxp.

It says something about 16 bit dos mode or summit.

I want to install this progam as it's easy to use but if it is going f*ck up my system again i'm not to sure :s

Right i've reinstalled win98 and winxp yet again after itfooked up.

I first installed win98 on c: and then winxp on D: . Which seems to be better:)

They are both FAT32 now.

Also i noticed a problem with installing Acronis OS selector on winxp.  

It says something about 16 bit dos mode or summit.

I want to install this progam as it's easy to use but if it is going f*ck up my system  again i'm not to sure :s

If you don't want to use the boot menu from XP, I'd use XOSL : http://www.xosl.org/ - very easy to use (you can have it as the boot loader on the HD, or use it on a floppy). I never heard of Acronis, but XOSL work perfectly with very flavor of Windows.

Acronis O/S selector 5 is a boot partition program which came free with PC PLus.

It cleverly made the dos program to have the winxp Luna look.

Looks just like it!

Any wya I'll try that proggie , but is it free ???

"Extended Operating System Loader (XOSL) is the world's only full-featured free boot manager with a real, easy-to-use and full-blown graphical user interface. "

I've used it to boot into 7 different OS's on one HD - Win95, 98, ME, NT, 2K, and XP. Actually, I was using the boot menu for each flavor of NT - I had 95 and NT set on one menu, 98 and 2K on one, and ME and XP on another - each on it's own partition, and 3 of them were hidden partitions. I also had linux installed as well. ( I had 7 partitons on a 20gig drive )

Within XOSL I had set up a menu with 4 choices. 95/NT, 98/2K, ME/XP, and Linux were the choices within XOSL - and if you click on say the 95/NT choice, then it brought you to the boot menu from NT where you could choose 95 or NT. Same thing with the other 2 windows OS choices in the menu. The forth choice booted directly into linux. Worked great

All the Windows boot menu's are, are a boot.ini that specifies which partiton to boot from, and is displayed at a command prompt as a menu to choose from. Because I set the boot partitions for Each windows OS as hidden, I had to use the XOSL boot loader to point to the hidden partitions without having to manually unhide them - making it easy to choose between 7 different OS's at boot time, instead of 2 or 3. Overkill, but I did it just to say that I did