Other Popular BBs

Question

So far the best FREE board I have come across and still using for a small site of mine where I am not going to purchase invision is MyBB.

I see no problem with running RC2 and to keep upgrading as they come out until final. It's a few nice board.

There are a few features that are weird or that I wish were not there but other than those which is my little annoyances, nothing major at all, it is a great board for someone looking for a free board to use.

Editing the skins is pretty easy, not as easy as invision but not horrible as another free board might have. I've only needed to make some small modifications here and there and was able to find what I needed to edit easily.

If one comes to me asking for a board, I'd recommend them MyBB before phpBB or something else.

Best bulletin board I've tried is SMF1.1RC2 from simplemachines.org, it's not open source but it is free and has a LOT of features, doesn't gobble bandwidth and has some great themes for it! Current stable release is 1.0.6 but 1.1 will be going final this year and RC2 is rock stable anyway.

When I first saw myBB, I was like. Ugh. vBulletin 2 ripoff.

But once you actually get into it, its quite different.

When I had a board I used MyBB, but it seems to be EKINBoard is coming out quite nicely. :)

wctaiwan

EDIT: Oh no, wait... The owner seems to be selling it. :s

EDIT 2: Uhmm... It's already sold. :p

Edited by wctaiwan

Yeah that was what I was thinking. Haha. Look's ALOT like IPB 2.0.0 IMHO.

I like the looks of that one. Thanks.

I don't like IceBB as much. The big massive forum markers look really ugly.

does anyone know if it's possible in SMF to have send email to user via forum like in phpBB when a user chooses not to show his/her email address in profile but someone can email anyway ? if is possible, how to make it? thank you.

Yes it is possible to do this in SMF. Either the admins can send out email newsletters, or people can send an email by clicking on an envelope icon in the members list.

I'm currently in the process of porting my phpBB forum (the theme) over to SMF. Long process, but it'll definitely be worth it, phpBB development is dog slow. On the other phpBB3 is going into beta in a few weeks.

I'm currently in the process of porting my phpBB forum (the theme) over to SMF. Long process, but it'll definitely be worth it, phpBB development is dog slow. On the other phpBB3 is going into beta in a few weeks.
Has that been confirmed? If so, that'll be great. phpBB 3 is looking really good for free software.

Has that been confirmed? If so, that'll be great. phpBB 3 is looking really good for free software.

Yep in the next few weeks, I have got a CVS and it is great!

Hmm....

PHP:

XMB - http://www.xmbforum.com

I like XMB much better than myBB for two reasons.

[1] XMB is growing quickly and when I was on staff there I saw the powerful features they are working on. They've also got tons of support.

[2] MyBB terminated my license because the owner and I had some words. I wont go into this here, but if you can let personal differences damage your business, need to rethink what your doing.

The only reason I can think of MyBB terminating your license is because you removed the copyright, which is against the license.

Anyway, I pick MyBB because I'm a developer for it. First found it while looking for free forum software, and it was much better than phpBB imo. The administrative control panel in phpBB 2 was like rubbish in my opinion. Had very few options to do stuff.

I vote for XMB also... because I've been running one for 6 months now and the only reason it's ever been offline was due to server crashes, not due to any problems with it.

I find it easy to tinker with, so that keeps me occupied.