partitioning

The guide/HowTo section doesn't seem to have the info on this, so I'll ask it here. How would you guys recommend to partition a 80GB hadrdrive for a private linux server (mdk10) so far I have root~20GB, swap~500MB, rest is home. that seems inefficient, but I don't know any better.

also I need to be able to file share what's on it (some of the files) with Windows box on same network, will samba server do the job or do I need to partition a drive as fat32?

Thanks in advance.

This is how I partition, / = 4gig swap = 1 gig /srv = the rest.

But I have 3 drives so the others go to what I share over the LAN, /misc, /movies, /music, /other.

And Samba does the job just fine for me, but I only share one way, menaing I don't share stuff on my windows box, and I have seen many a people have trouble with mounting NTFS. But if you only share the linux stuff samba will work fine.

also I need to be able to file share what's on it (some of the files) with Windows box on same network, will samba server do the job or do I need to partition a drive as fat32?

Samba works fine...

btw, you're sig is confusing me, are you sure you're in the right section? :laugh: ;)

/srv = the rest? you mean /home /usr /etc are all on one partition?

I was thinking something like this: http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/instimg100/010.jpg is that any good or just too much bother?

also Samba is for getting files from Linux server to Windows box, not the other way, so I guess it's a go...

oh yeah the server isn't web, it's cvs/ssh for 2 people for remote access, total of 4 for physical access to the box.

This is how I partition, / = 4gig swap = 1 gig /srv = the rest.

But I have 3 drives so the others go to what I share over the LAN, /misc, /movies, /music, /other.

And Samba does the job just fine for me, but I only share one way, menaing I don't share stuff on my windows box, and I have seen many a people have trouble with mounting NTFS. But if you only share the linux stuff samba will work fine.

4gig swap ;-O what are your hardware specs