[Advice] Washing Clothes, lol!

I'd never though in the years of surfing Neowin i would ask this...

Now it has came to the point were i must wash my own clothes (moved out). I though i knew what i was doing but things aren't running too smoothly.... I chucked in some clothes into the washing machine and then let them to dry. However the next few days after they dried i went to use one of the pair of new black jeans i put in for the wash. They appear to be slightly fading (this is the second wash for them both) and has kinda white cotton all over them.. What is with this propaganda! Could it be the el cheapo washing pouder?....

Now today i went out and bought ~$150 worth of clothes (consist of black shirts) and now i'm scared of the day to wash them. Hahahahaha.

How about dealing with shirts with big logo's? (trying to keep my tool shirt in tip top condition). futher more how abotu dealing with cat hair..(very annoying)?

I have a black jumper(or sweater as they say here) that is fading and is it possible to revive the color?

I'd ask my mother but she's on the other side of the world.... ;)

Serious posts! :(

you need to separate your colors from whites and hot from cold. you need to follow the instructions on the clothing tags and on the detergent box. i THINK it's a wee bit soon for the denim to be flaking like that, but, otoh, your black won't stay black forever. you should be using a color-safe detergent, some 20 mule team (it's great for clothes), and - if you must - a color-safe bleach in small amounts.

you need to start your water running at the correct temp, add your detergent, and if you add ANY bleach at all use a little bit and dilute it in hte washer water. add your clothes when washer starts it's cycle and DO NOT over fill it. put your fabric softener in the reservoir - it won't fill to the top so add water to fill it to the fill line.

if you have any whites....use some mrs stewarts bluing to keep your whites their whitest. follow the instructions exactly or you WILL be crying. i've also heard that adding a cup of vinegar will help to keep your clothes smelling fresh - you'll have to ask someone about that.

do you hang your clothes or use a dryer? hanging is better - your clothes will last longer and hanging is a lot cheaper on your electricity bill.

good luck :)

Oh god.. If you need to ask for laundry help on neowin, you should not live alone!! :laugh:

That said, I've colored my nice white socks to a bright shade of pink numerous times.

tumble dryer will save on ironing (hint hint) ;) although it shrank half my tshirts :(

if you're scared of messing up those logos, try turning the tshirt inside out before washing, then iron around the logo when ironing.

as above, seperate clothes into darks/coloureds/whites, and also wash white cotton seperately to white nylons etc. to achieve best results. i always wash my jeans seperately, just so stuff doesn't get messed up.

basically, try to keep the same type of clothing together.

Remember to dry things out, don't just leave 'em in the machine or bundled up somewhere to stink.

Not that me or any of my housem8ts would make that mistake.... /holds nose.

Turn your jeans inside out when washing. Get detergant with COLOR GAURD, it REALLY helps with black shirts.

Actually, turn everything inside out when washing. Don't use a really long cycle unless your clothes are filthy. I use the lowest cycle and my clothes come out totally clean, I always use cold water too.

Edit: Shouldn't this be in like.. Members Metropolis?

Edited by Xylene

Follow the directions on clothes themselves. They will vary on things, like even how to dry (e.g., some things *must* air/line dry). Things you really want to keep immaculate, depending on directions, should get dry cleaning or be hand washed (like with Woolite) and line dried if allowed.

Generally, wash darks, colors, and lights separately.

Use stuff like Clorox 2 in with your coloreds, and regular Clorox (bleach) with your totally white loads (in addition to a liquid detergent). Look into the Woolite Dark Laundry stuff for your blacks/darks.

Wash totally in cold with coloreds, perhaps warm or hot with whites.

Unless you want things to shrink, dry on a relatively moderate setting.

Don't throw fabric softener sheets into the dryer if you're doing things like towels -- they help things be water repellant.

Do turn things inside-out before washing when appropriate, especially for things like T-shirts with logos on them.

grow up :c)

maybe YOU should grow up. it was a legitimate question.

i bet your mommy still washes your clothes :p :whistle:

Toxikk just summed it up real nice for you, and there is also a special detergent out now for black clothes. I forget who makes it but you can google it.

Oh, and a good way to remove fuzzies is with a nice sharp razor, but be VERY CAREFUL.

use liquid washing detergents

seperate clothing

dry on air if you are worried about shrinking

as for black clothes, um...dye them black again? lol