CD rom problem

Somereason my cdrom doesnt read any data + if there is cd in it when booting the computer, it freezes when it says loading adati cdrom or somthing simlar.

what could this be? laser is dead somehow?

Provide a better description of your problem. When did it start to happen, what's the make and model, what CDs don't work, and any recent changes you made to your system. There are many variables and listing a better description of your situation helps narrows it down.

It's hard to tell, what's wrong with your CD drive now.:old:

Your O/S recongnizes the CDRom as being there? If it does, and the drive don't read, yah, probably means dead parts somewhere.

You didn't say, but does music CD work? (heh, probably not, just checking)

It started to happen when i took a piece of ram out, i though i must of unplug soemthing by mistake but i made sure every plug is in, still having the problem, if there is a cd in the cdrom when the computer is booting, it freezes.

when windows start, if i put in a cd, it just spins around or sometimes, the cdrom lights flash on and off or sometimes it just stays on. if i go to my computer then to cdrom drive, it will freeze my computer like it cant read the cd.

i tryed 5 cds so far, so it must not be that.

my cdrom is a adapi 44x i think

I have an old 32x Toshiba scsi cdrom and it does the same thing. I basically ditched it but one time I decided to hook it up a lo and behold it all of a sudden.....but then it went back to its screwy ways hours later. My guess is that it is malfunctioning and there is no other choice than to replace it.

Yep, just playing with it now again knock it a few times and shoved the plug as hard as i could, it works but 10mins it turns gay again.

/me hits his head against the wall, where am i going to get $50-$70 for a cdrom from :(

I'am in aus, the land of expensive hardware & internet connections prices that could blow up a country.

Who even sends me a cdrom or $50 will get 1 months access to the hidden babes section of the forums.

Originally posted by Vinh  

I'am in aus, the land of expensive hardware & internet connections prices that could blow up a country.

Who even sends me a cdrom or $50 will get 1 months access to the hidden babes section of the forums.

err... huh? hidden section...?!?

ok here is what my brain tells me.

I have to hit the top of my comp a few times and it works but when i eject my cdrom and press it in again, it dont work. So there be be a loose screw or laser.

First I recommend a good cleaning with a laser cleaner. Second I'd check to see if the cdrom is close to any heat sources, maybe it's getting too hot.

I'd also try diffrent types of media, like cdrw, cdr, regular pressed cds etc.

If worst comes to worst you can always pop it open and take a look around, see if anything looks looks, or dirty.