My apartment lease

OK, here's my situation.

My lease is up as of April 1. I have a few different options, as dictated by a note left on my door. I've decided I'm in a good position to buy a home, so I'm not going to waste any more time here pouring money down the drain on rent. Here are my choices:

1. Renew my lease for another year, rent goes up $40/month, and I get 1 and 1/2 months free.

2. Don't renew my lease, pay on a month by month basis, rent increases $115/month.

3. If I want to move out, I have to give a written 60 day notice.

Here's the kicker, they left me a note saying my lease was up with less that 15 days until it expires, but if I want to move out, I have to give 60 day notice?? huh?!? :angry:

So I'm thinking about going and talking to them, and seeing if I can at least get the 60 days at just the $40/month increase. But my question is, is it right of them to let me know my lease is up only 15 days in advance? Am I in any position to negotiate these terms with them, or are they just going to dump it on me and say I should've known when the lease was up?

HELL YEA!!! Get a house and tell the ******s that if THEY want THEIR 60 dday notice, then you want YOUR 60 day notice. How can they expect you to give them a 60 day notice if you only find out 15 days in advance!!!

If they fight it take it to court....

Well you probably should have known your own lease would be up soon.. You could always ask, but I don't think they are obligated to remind you that your lease is up on whatever day.

P.S. You don't "throw away" your rent. That goes to maintenance, etc. that you are not doing. The landlord or whoever does it for you. If you had a house, sure you wouldn't have to pay rent, but you have to do all the maintenance yourself (or pay someone else to do it).

It was assumably pretty clear in your initial rental contract when your lease was up / due for renewal.

You're probably just getting a "15-day notice" now as you haven't already on your own made it clear to them if you're renewing your lease or not.

Also, it's fully normal that you're required to give 60-day notice if you're doing month-to-month renting or wanting to leave early from your assumably year-long lease cycle. They need to be able to post something as available for rent if it's going to be vacant. If you leave early without such notice, they tend to still be able to hold you legally accountable for rent for 60 days / until the unit is rented, whichever is less.

Nothing weird or illegal is going on. If you want to go month-to-month and house hunt a bit, that's an option.

I'd go back and review your initial rental agreement if you're still confused and still think they themselves may not be adhering to the contract somehow.

If anything, you may have failed to notify them of desire to renew your lease in an agreed timely manner, and their notice could be a courtesy when they could otherwise be renting the apartment anew and tossing you out at the end of the month regardless....

A lot of places have the 60-day notice, but they also have a policy where you can just pay a fee to get outta the lease, probably somewhere around the increase in rent on a month to month basis, so you'll have to pay them $115 + some fee to get out of it, just go talk to them.