Cooling my 2500+

Alright.. I have a bit of a problem. No matter what I do I can't seem to get my 2500+ to decent temps. I have 4 fans in the front of my case, 1 on the side window, 2 exaust(thermaltake smart fan II's set to full blast in the back). The only way I can seem to get my temps below 42C(when listening to music and doing web browsing and such) is when I crack open my window and turn the window fan on, and its mighty cold out.

Getting a better heatsink is out of the question becuase of a screw up I had with a brass stand off, I can't really take the motherboard out of the case, unless I seriously have to(like if it fails and I have to RMA it). I was wondering of getting a better fan for the heatsink(stock AMD heatsink/fan) would help at all?

My cable arrangement is pretty good, so I doubt airflow is a problem. I did notice the intake fans were just blowing right towards the PCI area and not going up into the case, so I sort of rigged up a fan with a zip tie a few inches infront of the 4 intake fans and tilted it up a bit, so the cool air coming in would go up into the CPU area of the case.

To the point now, besides a new CPU FAN(just the fan) can anyone think of anything else I could possibly try?

42C is fine. 52C is fine. 62 is a little hot, but still within regulation, 72C is very hot, but still won't kill your processor.

There is a such thing as cooling overkill, you know. And also, don't forget, it's not amount of fans but quality. If you have four fans on the front, one on the sidepanel, and some on the back then it could be a possibility that you're not getting clear airflow through the case. This would probably be caused by the fan on the sidepanel.

seriously.. you can't do anything else then changing the heatsink..

i've experianced the same thing.. i bought a ****load of fans.. but temps wouldn't drop more then a few degrees. only thing that can solve is a new heatsink man :happy:

Why are you worried about getting your cpu temps below 42c?

Are you overclocking?

I'd like the overclock, and I have before, just I always got worried about my temps going over 50C and stuff, so I've been at stock.

Anyway, so it could be the side panel fan? Maybe I'll disconnect it and see what happens.

Whats wrong with 42C? These chips are designed to work at even higher temps. I had my cpu in the mid 60's before I decided to ugrade my fan and it never crashed or gave my problems at those temps. Now I ranger in the high 30's to low 40's.

seriously.. you can't do anything else then changing the heatsink..

i've experianced the same thing.. i bought a ****load of fans.. but temps wouldn't drop more then a few degrees. only thing that can solve is a new heatsink man&nbsp:happy:y:

Eh.. not going to happen. I'll just deal with it I guess. I screwed up a brass stand off when installing the motherboard in this case, and I can't really take the motherboard out. The stand off got stripped and its like stuck now with the screw in it to hold down the motherboard, so its not coming out any time soon. Only way that thing is ever coming out is if it dies and I get a drill or something and drill it out.

I've also noticed my onboard sound is quite a problem. My temps rise like 4-6C when listening to music.. its a definate problem. Are there any cheap sound cards I can get so I can stop using this CPU raping onboard sound? I don't really want to spend more than $25 if possible.

You don't exactly have to remove the motherboard to replace the HSF. It might take some work, but it's not necessary to remove the motherboard. I'd say replace the HSF and put on some good thermal compound like AS3 or AS5. A fresh application of it might help cool your CPU a few degrees.

As for a sound card, I'd so just look around for a cheap Sound Blaster Live. They aren't the greatest, but they do get the job done.

my 2400 has never seem a temp higher than 49 degrees(sits idle at 42 in summer.. about 10 degrees lower in winter) in its whole life... in the winter months i doesnt catch 40.... but i spent a fair amount of dosh on watercooling..

and where i live is hot

be happy with those temps on air cooling

hehe, did you read this about that fan? Pretty funny stuff...

"40.1CFM of airflow offers extremely high performance for a 60mm fan at the expense of being very loud. The noise level is a novelty for some, and an annoyance for others. We do not reccomend using this fan in the bedroom if you do not shut down your computer at night, unless you are hardcore."

You should be able to replace your heatsink without removing your motherboard. If you have trouble, try removing your power supply from your case so that you have some more room to manuever. Also, if you do just change the fan on the stock amd hsf it might be wise to remove the heatsink first (make sure you have some thermal paste handy), some Artic Silver Ceramique should lower your temps a few degrees over the stock pcm pad.

Well I've taken the fan off before to clean it without removing the heatsink so it should be fine.. I'll be really careful. The screws go in really easy so its not like I have to give it a bunch of pressure. Anyway, I'd rather not take the heatsink off.. its just something I don't like messing with.. especially with AMD cpus.

hehe, did you read this about that fan? Pretty funny stuff...

"40.1CFM of airflow offers extremely high performance for a 60mm fan at the expense of being very loud. The noise level is a novelty for some, and an annoyance for others. We do not reccomend using this fan in the bedroom if you do not shut down your computer at night, unless you are hardcore."

Yeah, I know its going to be loud but I really don't mind. I have 2 Thermaltake Smart Fan II's running at full blast all the time, and that doesn't even bother me. This won't be much of an increase in sound.